Miller charged (article)

Today's Honolulu Advertiser

Blue namer please link:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051221/SPORTS/512210335/1032

lol @ Miller "biting and scratching".

I really hope that he gets through this OK. Looks like Mayhem got the better of his opponant...

This could not be more unclear: "If convicted Miller faces a minimum of up to 10 years in jail and $10,000 fine." So he could get zero jail time?

-jk

Jason "Mayhem" Miller, a 24-year-old mixed martial arts fighter, was charged late Monday with first-degree burglary, a class "A" felony.

He turned himself in to police early Friday after he allegedly kicked down the door of his ex-girlfriend's Nu'uanu apartment and began fighting with and biting her new boyfriend, according to an affidavit filed in O'ahu District Court.

If convicted Miller faces a minimum of up to 10 years in jail and $10,000 fine.

Miller, who defeated Hawai'i's Niko Vitale before 7,000 fans at Blaisdell Arena in October, is scheduled to face Robby Lawler Feb. 18 at Blaisdell.

Organizers of the event had "no statement at this time. We're still trying to figure out what went on," said Patrick Freitas, director of promotions for Icon Sport. "We're still hoping to put Feb. 18th back together."

Miller, who lives in Las Vegas, was arrested after his 26-year-old ex-girlfriend said a man, identified by police as Miller, broke into her apartment at 5 a.m. Friday.

The woman told police that after being awakened by 15 to 20 minutes of incessant knocking, Miller kicked "the front door frame from its hinges" according to the court document.

Miller stormed into the apartment, where he was met by the woman's new boyfriend.

A fight between the two commenced during which Miller allegedly bit the man on his right bicep and scratched him on the right side of his forehead, according to the court document. The man fighting Miller also sustained an abrasion to his right bicep, a contusion to the left side of his forehead, and an abrasion to his right leg.

Miller escaped through a fire escape. He later turned himself in at the Kalihi police station.

He is the second mixed-martial artist to run afoul of the law this year in Honolulu.

On May 8, B.J. "The Prodigy" Penn, 26, was arrested outside the Zanzabar Night Club on Kuhio Avenue after he allegedly hit Richardson Oscar Pouoa, a uniformed police officer who was on a special-duty assignment at a party for the participants of the "Rumble on the Rock 7" mixed martial arts competition.

bitting and scratching like a true monkey.

10 years in the slammer that sucks

I don't know anything about law enforcement, so the following is just my speculation.

It sounds really bad. Forcibly entering an ex-girlfriend's home sounds like the kind of thing that a judge is going to worry about. We have had a couple judges out here in Maryland get in trouble because they let guys like this go, and then the guy comes back and really hurts the woman.

I'm not saying Mayhem is like that... just that it looks bad.

There may be more to it, though.

Damn shame. Miller is a fun fighter to watch, and seems very talented.

i do not see the big deal..it would happen to any of us.

How many offenses has he had within the last 5 years? 10 years isnt tooo harsh, guy here was just sentenced to 4 conesecutive life terms for 3 robberies and 1 buglury.

Law doesnt play anymore.

Sucks to see this happen, women can do strange things to people.

Minimum is "up to 10 years" which means that it could be zero years. Unless I'm missing something.

-jk

035 says this will never go to trial. The Mayhem Miller Monkey Defense Force shall overcome any obstacle.

LOL at some blaming the woman. An individual is always responsible for their OWN behavior.
Every action has a consequence.
Mayhem like everyone else should pay for the consequences of his actions IMO.

JK you are correct he could get 3months probation to 50 years, the range is so crazy

Yeah, I would think (being someone with zero legal knowledge) that there are some relevant issues.

If Mayhem thought he was still dating the chick, goes by and starts banging on the door, and the guy's voice answers, maybe says some fighting words...when Mayhem realizes what he is doing, he leaves... it's not a good excuse, but the best I can come up with.

If this is an EX-girlfriend, though, this case looks like a dangerous stalker who can't control his temper. In that case, I would think this is going to result in a lot of jail time. But I have little to no familiarity with this kind of thing.

This guy sounds like a danger to society. Hopefully, he gets locked up for a while.

Bad for the sport IMO.

B & E w/ the intent to commit assault and then the actual assault to go along with it. As a cop my best guess is he'll get sentenced to something like 5 years with all but 6 months suspended (I wouldn't wanna pull six months). This would be typical in Virginia courts. He does have a prior conviction (not sure what for), but if that was as an adult it could raise the time served limit.

"the article could have been alot worse"

Um, how is that? Sounds as bad as everyone here thought it would. lol at biting & scratching... All that MMA training and this is what he decided to do. WTF

It's times like this where his nickmane hurts his cause.

At common law, mayhem means: the intentional and wanton removal of a body part that would handicap a person's ability to defend themselves in combat. Under the strict common law definition, this required damage to an eye or a limb, while cutting off an ear or a nose was deemed not sufficiently disabling. Later the meaning of the crime expanded to encompass any mutilation, disfigurement, or crippling act that was effected through the use of any instrument.

I'm am Mayhemaniac, (although I don't have a number to prove it) but yeah, if his ex was my sister, I would fucking hunt him down, no matter who he was. I hope that he gets the minimum and shapes up.

-jk

I know a guy who went to his ex's place and lit a match and threw it in the trash. He got arson charges and spent 3-5 in prison. The match never even lit the trash on fire. LOL

just another day on the islands, what the big deal?

"I blame the girlfriend though, bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
You're an asshole.