Minds collide. Ben Shapiro Jordan Peterson Talk

Two favourites of mine and (and many OGers) have a discussion on rights among other things. Not light stuff but it's very interesting seeing the giants of the right and the true liberal having discourse.

mods, pls move to OG. thanks. 

Thanks.

Sam Harris released his podcast with Ben a couple weeks back. It was pretty good but I look forward to more. The topics these guys are drawn to never wrap up nicely even after a couple hours.

I’m curious about this one - both are religious guys (Peterson and Shapiro) and both fall back to similar stances (fallacies, imo) that human virtue is inseparable from western, Judeo-Christian history (and, more, entirely dependent upon it). I see lots of common ground between these two. 

In many ways Sam had his way with both guys during their talks. Again, they mainly agree on everything except religion and Sam has much more rational high ground on that issue. Just my opinion. 

Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

Sam Harris released his podcast with Ben a couple weeks back. It was pretty good but I look forward to more. The topics these guys are drawn to never wrap up nicely even after a couple hours.

I’m curious about this one - both are religious guys (Peterson and Shapiro) and both fall back to similar stances (fallacies, imo) that human virtue is inseparable from western, Judeo-Christian history (and, more, entirely dependent upon it). I see lots of common ground between these two. 

In many ways Sam had his way with both guys during their talks. Again, they mainly agree on everything except religion and Sam has much more rational high ground on that issue. Just my opinion. 

What you say may be more true of Ben than it is for Peterson.

Peterson is involved in keeping the things that have made western civilization great and should not be so easily thrown away, but when discussing his worldview he will bring up examples from all over the place. Chinese Taoism, Mesopotamian religious practice, Egyptian god cicles, etc.

I havent listened to his talks with Sam because they've both seemed in agreement that they werent productive in clearing things up, maybe they failed to understand or explain themselves properly to each other.

Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

i agree.

i think the common ground is that both are on the same page if not same verse religiously:  ben is orthodox and i'm pretty sure that peterson is roman catholic, but doesn't overtly say it. but jungian ideas also coincide or flow well with judeo-christian perspectives as well, and peterson is clearly a jungian fan. 

although you could say i have a bias being xristian, i think that shapiro has a stronger rational point than harris when it comes to the development of morality and purpose, which shapiro talked about this podcast. 

considering how fiery shapiro is, i'm suprised that they didn't have more debate for this video, but it's clear that he respects peterson. 

DavidYorkshire -

thanks.

welcome!

luctaro -
Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

Peterson is involved in keeping the things that have made western civilization great and should not be so easily thrown away, but when discussing his worldview he will bring up examples from all over the place. Chinese Taoism, Mesopotamian religious practice, Egyptian god cicles, etc.

I havent listened to his talks with Sam because they've both seemed in agreement that they werent productive in clearing things up, maybe they failed to understand or explain themselves properly to each other.

i agree and think peterson does a better job of keeping an analytical 1/2 step away expressing his personal religous beliefs than shapiro does, but jp strikes me as having a strong faith.  the fact that jp is able to respectfully talk about other religous and mythological traditions without judgement has always been one the top reasons i like his videos.  

i like harris' bluntless and rationality on a whole, but he can be pretty subborn as all brilliant people are. i think the fact that they are all highly intelligent and i believe that their pursuit of truth allows them to have meaningful discourse with eachother, instead of a miller/cnn debate. 

i have no clue what telos is, so i have to look that up. 

luctaro -
Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

I like Peterson a lot. I like Sam and Ben too but don’t agree with any of them on all things. 

Peterson, for example. Next time you listen to him speak grab a beer and drink every time you hear him say “post-modernism”. Seriously, you’ll die. 

He’s brilliant but, like many of his contemporaries, gets stuck on certain pieces almost obsessively. Like Hitchens and religion - many don’t know Hitchens apart from his comments on religion.

Hey, these guys are all amazing contributors to the evolution of thinking and discourse. We’re better for all of them and should listen to all of them. But we should have opinions, that’s what they’re modeling for us, right? 

Mine are just mine. 

^lol on post-modernism. that's his gremlin. but he is mainly right about the marxists. 

he interviews some Laurier profs, about the TA lindsay sheppard who was persecuted for showing his video. they attribute the issue to critical theory instead. see 14:30  

Is that what that video is about? I assumed for some reason he wanted to talk about some chick having an affair with someone. SYMBOLISM!!

you don't have to listen to this, but this was the hidden tape that lindsey used to protect herself, when she had a meeting with her 2 profs. In class she had shown jordan peterson having a debate with i believe a trans/gender studies professor and lawyer. it was because of this that she was called in for a disciplinary hearing.    at her hearing, one prof literally called jordan peterson 'hitler'. 

i probalby shouldn't have posted the second video before the third, because there is a lack of context. 

ttt. if anyone is interested.

Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

I expected Harris and Shapiro to be good, but it was an hour and a half circle jerk of religion semantics 

In! I love those dudes. 

Subbed for later when I have time to watch it

disbeliever - 
Malvert the Janitor -

Thanks.

I expected Harris and Shapiro to be good, but it was an hour and a half circle jerk of religion semantics 

i think this one is more interesting because they are talking about the meaning of life, responsibility and purpose, rather than arguing about the existing of God.

although they briefly dip into metaphysics or religion.

it's a bit more socio-political, although i'd be curious to hear if you found it more interesting than harris-shapiro. at least this is 30 min or so.

in