minimum effort to stay healthy?

What is the minimum effort required to stay healthy?

Lets say your main goal is longevity, what type of exercise should you do? What should the routine be?

I'd say walking is a good minimum.

You should be able to stand up straight, i'm not sure walking alone will help with posture. I think good posture is part of being healthy, so there should be some toning and strengthening of the body.

You should do some strength-training for lower-back and abs. Yous hould also do some aerobic training like walking or riding a bike every day.

tai chi

Why are you interested in only the minimum effort? Short answer is that it's going to vary from person to person. Biggest thing would be having a proper diet. Your gonna want to do some aerobic exercise to keep your heart/lungs in shape. Your going to want to do some strength training. Lack of strength is what puts people in nursing homes in some cases.

Some form of resistance training at least three times a week for no less than 20 minutes. 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular activity three times a week.

The facility I work at caters to mostly seniors and their main interest is to get the maximal health benefit in the minimal amount of time. The numbers given above are actually pretty well researched figures. But, keep in mind that this would be for health benefits only and not for optimizing performance.

Best in Health and Training, J. R.

This article was interesting:

(http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phil6.htm)

"Learn how middle-aged NFL players stay in great shape and keep playing beyond their time? It's the anaerobic exercise they perform during practice that does the trick."

This article suggest anaerobic exercise.