Mino Vs Barnett Discussion

lol, I'll bet you'd feel the same way if you were the one mounted eating those punches. Josh sure didn't seem to like them.

LINK?!?!

They both had one good sub attempt.Josh had the knockdown.
But other than that the striking standing and on the floor(even when mino was on bottom) seemed to belong to Mino.So I think he earned it.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing endless rematches between guys as good as Barnett, Crocop, Nogueira and Fedor. There are those four guys, and then WAY below, every other heavyweight (in all organizations).

joshes knockdown and 2 subs were the closest things to a finish in that fight

Josh had 2 sub attempts better than mino's armbar? I don't recall anything remotely close save the kneebar.And Mino's armbar had Josh is dire straights.

A full mount should count as much or more as a knockdown or a submission attempt

Aside from the kneebar, all of Joshs groundwork were escapes.

He couldnt pass the guard and Nog was throwing more punches from the botttom and sweeping.

Josh spent a lot of time on his back, mounted and pinned in side control.

I give the ground game to nog, the takedowns to nog and the striking was maybe 50/50 because of the knockdown.

"Nog stopped defending it and went crazy..."

this is the typical characteristics of somebody killed by gento koken.

josh won that fight...

bad decision.

To be fair, if gaining superior positions is going to get you points--then escapes from those positions should count for something too.

"Takedowns: BJJ-er Nog took wrestler Josh down several times without much effort. Nog takes this for sure"

Yeah, this was somewhat surprising. Didn't expect Nog to look like the better wrestler of the two.

But he didn't deserve to.

"That has to be one of the best ground battles ever."

Karo v Diego and Sanchez v Diego were pretty special too.

It must be the HW thing yeah?

"To be fair, if gaining superior positions is going to get you points--then escapes from those positions should count for something too."

Why? They aren't in most sports. The reward for an escape is escaping. The rewards for positions are defined by the subjective interpretations of the rules.

Date: 09/11/06 03:35 AM
37 Total Posts Ignore User

Groundwork: Nog dominated, no question. The only thing Josh did was escape from mount and get a kneebar attempt (since Nog was walking around just fine after the fight I doubt any damage was done). Nog passed guard, sweeped and reversed Josh without a lot of effort. Josh's kneebar attempt was balanced with Nog's armbar attempt.

Nog passed Josh's guard twice, and mounted twice. The second mount lasted twelve seconds. He swept Josh once, into his guard. Aside from defense and escapes, Josh had a guillotine that forced Mino to completely abandon his takedown attempt to do nothing but defend the guillotine, and a leglock attempt that Mino spent nearly half a minute doing nothing but defending and escaping from. Positioning is an edge to Nog, but Josh has three solid sub attempts to his one. Also, Mino was limping after the fight, not "walking around just fine".

Takedowns: BJJ-er Nog took wrestler Josh down several times without much effort. Nog takes this for sure.

Nog took Josh down twice. Once into side, and once directly into a leglock attempt from Josh that took him almost half a minute to escape from. Again, edge to Nog, but takedowns don't win fights in Pride.

Damage done: I don't think that the pounding that Nog layed upon Josh on the ground was any less then the one punch that Josh got in while standing.

Lol at one punch. Go back and count. Before the knockdown, Josh and Mino had each landed six power punches on each other - exactly even. But Josh also landed nine clinch knees to Mino's one, and three leg kicks to Mino's one. In the subsequent standup exchanges, Josh lands another two knees and a solid right, Mino lands nothing but a jab. Not to mention that Josh landed numerous solid shots to Mino while standing out of his guard. Mino had a total of six solid, connecting punches in his first mount of Josh, and a total of two in his second.

It was a close fight, but Josh was the winner. And considering Mino was saved by the bell, Josh deserved to be.

Josh had 2 sub attempts better than mino's armbar? I don't recall anything remotely close save the kneebar.And Mino's armbar had Josh is dire straights.

joshes second sub was the guillotine. sure nog escaped fine, but he got pretty squeezed. and nogs armbar never got the arm extended

LINK 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eg6eKxk_H70

LINK 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRHywss1fWc&mode=related&search=

Welcome, ladies.

OK, heeeeere we go (in next post, just in case this ones deleted ;p):

Basically, seems like Nog had more quantity and Josh had more quality (kinda like Hendo/Busta ;p).

For the record, I think both fights i just mentioned could have gone either way. Im glad that ive finally seen it now and i can agree with those who thought that aswell. It was hardly a robbery. Not even close (which shouldnt really be surprising for UG robbery call anyhow but...).

Nog still showed what a slick MF he is on the mat and not only showed great tds but great td timing selection. He seemed to catch Josh coming in off strikes or what not quite a bit.

The arm drag to back and the ankle pick from guard were sweeeet! BUT...imo if he would have made more impact with the GNP from side mount and mount, I think he could have edged it out more convincingly but as it stands, i dont think i have a problem with Josh getting the decision, though Ive only watched it once.

Nog did control more of the action but i dont think he did enough with that control to put his stamp on the judges minds. Barnett did a great job of reversing almost every time and not just getting back to his feet but putting Nog back on his back.

Again, Nog had more GNP and control quantity but I think the brief moment Josh had (sorta) side control on Nog as he escaped the armbar attempt and threw only 2-3 hammerfists, those seemed more punishing than anything Nog threw with GNP. Josh also had a nice one shot off a diving GNP strike from standing into Nog's guard.

And nobodies fault but both times the bell rang, Josh was in superior position, too bad we could have had things roll on then but time's time.

Josh's guillotine attempt was brief but tight and theres no way to tell whether the kneebar would have finished the fight had time go on but it was obviously a dangerous attempt with Nog's leg straitened.

Im gonna have to watch it again but i dont really see how Josh put it away convincingly either.

I agree with a 3 round rematch to settle shit out.

Great fight by both guys.

TTT