Mir Not Fighting Sylvia Because...

of the NSAC.

The two former UFC heavyweight title-holders were expected to battle on UFC 74's main card on Aug. 25. However, according to the Wrestling Observer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission stepped in and said Mir wasn't ready to face someone of Sylvia's caliber. Keith Kizer, the NSAC executive director, made the decision after he factored in Mir's poor showing against Brandon Vera at UFC 65.

Mir hasn't fought since that 69-second TKO loss seven months ago. He was slated to face Antoni Hardonk at UFC Fight Night 9 in April but eventually pulled out of the bout with a shoulder injury.

Considering the extent of some past UFC mismatches, the NSAC's decision to step in with this particular case does seem odd. Assuming Mir, a Las Vegas native, is declared physically fit to compete, should the NSAC then be allowed to step and decide which opponents are suitable?

Source: ufcjunkie.com

I'm a fan of Sylvia but this is a joke. Mir would probably sub him again.

What is with this weird and disturbing trend of ACs making decisions like this? Mir is a pro fighter and a former champion. Will Crocop not be allowed to face anyone with a winning record either, because he was similarly dominated and KO'd? Why did they allow Randy to fight Chuck a third time after being brutally KO'd in the second fight?

Horrible decision by the NSAC.

just settin up sylvia vs. the brock haha

well, crocop and randy have actually shown they can compete at that level recently. mir hasnt since 2004. im the furthest thing from tim sylvia fan, but anyone who thinks this fight will end in any other way than mir laying unconscious on the floor hasnt been following the sport since 2004.

Horrible decision by the NSAC

+1

how is this a horrible decision by the nsac? mir has been so horrible in hist last fights that any match with him is almost a foregone conclusion.

i dont want to see the 'sylvia getting even' tag line, or the 'former champ' tag lines - i want to see good fights - and mir doesnt provide that anymore. unless you're just looking for a brutal beatdown

um, guys. That story is inaccurate. Just spoke with NSAC. Will have a story up on this this afternoon in the PM UPDATE at www.thefightnetwork.com

Loretta,

Thanks!

damn - am i the only one who doesnt want to see mir fight in the ufc again?

The man is a shadow of his former self.
What he needs is proper diet , to atleast look like he means business.

I didnt even know this match was being set up. I do know that some of us were talking about it on here a couple months ago. Way to go with the foresight UG.

I think the decision sucks, but its probably for Mirs own good.

"Im the furthest thing from tim sylvia fan, but anyone who thinks this fight will end in any other way than mir laying unconscious on the floor hasnt been following the sport since 2004"

^^^^^

No. I totallt love the Wrestling Observer. I'm noticing that a lot of Dave's stories are being lifted and misconstrued on other sites. Not sure if this is the case here - I have not had time to look at either stories.

I just know what is printed above is not correct. NSAC was never presented this fight to turn down.

they didnt have any problem with eddie sanchez vs crocop..jeez, i hope this isnt true

Where did you see this? I am un-able to get this info on any of the sites, NSAC, Mir's or Sylvias.

It was posted on ufcjunkie.com

they pulled mir's name off the mmaweekly's rumors section as well

Mir has NO chance against Sylvia any more.

I don't want Mir to waste any more of the UFC's time.

"should the NSAC then be allowed to step and decide which opponents are suitable?"

the athletic commissions do the same thing in boxing all the time

Apparently, this is not true. If you head over to ufcmania.com, Keith Kizer has denied all rumors about this. He has never had the fight even brought to his attention yet.