Miragliotta:It wasn't a bad call, I just missed it

Dan Miragliotta did not see Mustapha Al Turk get poked in the eye by Mirko Cro Cop until the replay played on the video screens. Then again, neither did all of the fans in the Laxness Arena, including brutally honest commentator Joe Rogan, who admitted to not catching the shot to the eye.

"Everyone gets to see it after the fact becomes a perfect referee," Miragliotta said. "When it happened, I thought he got hit with a left cross. He gets a nice right hook and a few more heavy strikes after that. I thought it was a soft jab. The way he covered and reacted, it was like a hard punch. The position he turned. The way he reacted, you wouldn't have known he was poked in the eye. Unfortunately, I missed it. It happens. I didn't catch it at all."

READ FULL ARTICLE

It was visibly red after the fight.

If someone covers their eye like that and turns their back to the opponent you stop the fight, and when the replay shows a poke you give the guy 5 minutes and restart that shit if he wants to or NC.

Is that too much to ask? Fuck.

ben sherman -  cc said he barely brushed him and that al turk overreacted.

The reply shows CCs finger in the socket almost to the first knuckle.

piratepirate - At least Rich Franklin had the decency to post "proof" in the way of photos when he was poked in the eye.

If Al Turk's eye was torn or cut,

he should post up some photos
Get the fuck out of here.Or better yet.....just slightly poke yourself in the eye & see how your vision is.Bonus points if you have fingernails.

The proof was in the replay.Its not about pain anyway,its about blurred vision or eye damage.

piratepirate - 
Cyborgasm - If someone covers their eye like that and turns their back to the opponent you stop the fight, and when the replay shows a poke you give the guy 5 minutes and restart that shit if he wants to or NC.

Is that too much to ask? Fuck.

this isn't football,
we aren't going to go to instant replay every time a fighter acts like an illegal blow happened.
You know how much that would be abused????

But the bottom line was he was blatantly eye poked and it cost him the fight.

That is wrong.

I dont know how it couldve been dealt w/better,but I am just saying it sucks.

I saw him grab his eye and thought he got punched in the eye.

dan is the worst ref ever in the history of MMA. the guy has absolutely no place in an mma cage or ring, he has made wayyyyyyy too many mistakes, get him the fuck out of the UFC and any other MMA event.

What were some of the other instances where mirgiotta has messed up?

Pussy move by AlTurk. I've copped eye pokes worse than that at TRAINING and still kept wrestling. In a cage fight the last thing anyone should do is cover up and turn their back..oh unless they just wanted a quick way out of there before a 230 pound croatian tee'd off on their head.

The funny part is...

In the pic it's Al Turk's right eye, right?

Sitting on the stool, it's his left eye that's all jacked up. :)

Max

I don't think it really mattered that Miragliotta missed that call in this case because Al Turk most likely would have got the crap beat out of him anyway, but if he can't see that happen, then he should not be reffing.

Dan Miragliotta pokes Heath Herring in the eye

http://i41.tinypic.com/2079gt4.jpg

Seriously,what other fights did Dan mess up in?

Kimbo/James Thompson and Brandon Vera/Fabricio Werdum

Thanks

http://i33.tinypic.com/xdig7o.gif

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cql0yr.gif

He fucked up no doubt, but played in full speed that eyepoke was fast as shit. I couldnt see it until they gave me the other angle + slomo.

Nevermind the fact he missed the call...it happens.

What's up with the late stoppage? Guy turns around and you let him get dropped and then take followup shots.

Miragliotta has always stood out to me for the wrong reasons and imo is the worst "big show" ref in MMA.