Mir's Mechanical Advantage

Doing a little physics this morning. Could somebody check my calculations?

Mir broke Sylvia's arm. According to a doctor I know, given good health and bone density, it takes about 1500 lbs of force to break a forearm that way. I figured it was about 16" from the break to the point where Mir was torqueing on Sylvia's wrist. This means that Mir was putting about 94lbs of force on Sylvia's wrist when Sylvia's arm broke (I assumed 1" for the load lever).

I also did the calulation for an arm bar with good position on the elbow and the force required was only 30lbs on Sylvia's wrist to break the arm. I assumed a 22" lever, Sylvia being able to curl 150lbs, 18 lbs for the elbow joint, and 4" for the load lever.

94lbs to break Sylvia's arm and 30lbs to break Sylvia's elbow. I guess Mir's strong enough to armbar somebody without perfect position.

Anybody ever figure this out before? Any suggestions to improve accuracy?

Good points.

You are definetly right about Mir taking the hard route.It wasn't even an armbar,it was forearmbar,he basically held on with muscle for dear life to an armbar he was about to lose.

He gambled and it payed off.

It's not how much force is applied, it's getting into the position where you can apply it. Interesting numbers though. Wouldn't you have to take into account Tim's force applied in the oppostie direction?

It was my understanding there would be no math in this debate.

man thats a lot of weight on his package!

"man thats a lot of weight on his package" LOL
Thank God for steel cups.

anyone ask the question about that steel cup, i've seen some that appear to have an "edge" of sorts across the top, giving a much sharper fulcrum on which to focus the pressure.

I don't know the kind he was wearing, but i'm curious if the cup has more to do with this then the pressure applied. I've done BJJ and grappling for a number of years and never seen anything like that break with plastic cups, or even rounded steel cups. But i've tapped from forerm pain on the "sharper " edged cups...

-Slieone

the break was not 16" from the grip of his hands, all your calculations are wrong. It was mid forearm break.

It seems your claims of calculation have been exposed as academic fraud.

luckypunch...I like the chopstick analogy. LOL.

Gary Hughes

We need a guy with a white coat and a clipboard in here....

Remember how in physics class everyone said "I'm never
gonna need this sh!t in the real world..."