Misconceptions as a noob about MMA

As a noob, back in the day, I thought that:

1) UFC one would be just like Bloodsport (the  movie). 

2) Royce and BJJ were unbeatable.

3) The Gracie family really was undefeated.

4) That wing chun or whatever guy that first fought Igor Zinoviev really did stand a chance because he was going to deflect all his punches like he was doing to his partners in his intro video.

5) Royler was going to steamroll Sakuraba.

6) Striking and Wrestling were useless.

As a not so noob with years of BJJ and watching MMA behind me:

1) Royce really had a chance to help Hughes up and send him home.   (i think that fight finally pushed the point that MMA really had evolved)

2) How could anyone beat Brock Lesnar? (Frank Mir fight #1 excluded.. I still think that was a fluke thanks to ref interference)

I have no misconceptions. I've been watching from the beginning, since UFC 1...when Griffin fought Bonnar. Am I doing it right?!

juicer -
Brockback Mountain - Before training i thought leg kicks were fluff or like just a waste of time.
Agreed. I didn't realize how significant they could be until I received one in the gym. Needless to say I started training them from that point forward. Phone Post 3.0
It was the difference between an outside leg kick and and inside leg kick that surprised me. Uuuurgh. Pimpwalkin for days..... Phone Post 3.0

Similar to the leg kicks, unless you have felt it, it's difficult to perceive how soul-crushing simple pressure (e.g. side control) can be when applied by an experienced grappler.

I thought Rampage was this elite monster who was going in there to ko everybody after tuf 10. Phone Post 3.0

Also how skilled/tough the people that "suck" in the UFC are if you do not train in martial arts.

Not a personal one that i learned, but a lot of people who dont train in anything watch MMA go "oh that guys a pussy, that guy sucks etc." and its like hold the phone little buddy....

You dont train. A guy with just a little striking, grappling (or both) training would smash you in a fair fight on the streets or in a cage.

That dude would get smashed by the good people at their gym, Those guys would get smashed by the best people at their gym, and arguably someone in the UFC is going to be near the top of people at their gym which is usually one of the best gyms in the country.

You have no idea how many people still ask me if it's "the fake wrestling" Phone Post 3.0

Not me, but most people have no idea the difference between mma and ufc. For example, i am fighting later this year in the UGGP and i post about it frequently on my social media outlets. Well this past weekend i went to Baltimore for UFC 172 and was posting pictures. I had so many good luck today! On my Facebook feed it was sad. Phone Post 3.0

Brockback Mountain - Also how skilled/tough the people that "suck" in the UFC are if you do not train in martial arts.

Not a personal one that i learned, but a lot of people who dont train in anything watch MMA go "oh that guys a pussy, that guy sucks etc." and its like hold the phone little buddy....

You dont train. A guy with just a little striking, grappling (or both) training would smash you in a fair fight on the streets or in a cage.

That dude would get smashed by the good people at their gym, Those guys would get smashed by the best people at their gym, and arguably someone in the UFC is going to be near the top of people at their gym which is usually one of the best gyms in the country.

wow, wtf?

Brockback Mountain - Also how skilled/tough the people that "suck" in the UFC are if you do not train in martial arts.

I went through that when i first saw the sport. But thankfully i made a friend that fought and was a blue belt who showed me the error of my ways by destroying me is sparring and ragdolling me in grappling even though i had a shit load of size on him (he fought at 125) Phone Post 3.0

GregNoActionJackson - Not me, but most people have no idea the difference between mma and ufc. For example, i am fighting later this year in the UGGP and i post about it frequently on my social media outlets. Well this past weekend i went to Baltimore for UFC 172 and was posting pictures. I had so many good luck today! On my Facebook feed it was sad. Phone Post 3.0
Shouldve taken advantage of that! Phone Post 3.0

Brockback Mountain - Also how skilled/tough the people that "suck" in the UFC are if you do not train in martial arts.

It indeed is such a big gap between trained and untrained fighter, let alone professionals and untrained fighters... It is so easy to criticize when you dont understand fighting and have your own experiences. I wish everyone of those would even spar a little bit of striking and do bit of grappling after complaining. Some of them might gain some knowledge...

Pitbull3744 -

Kimbo vs Rampage actually wouldve been interesting.  If Kimbo knew he didnt have to worry about the takedown he could very well have KOd Rampage and vice versa. 

He got out struck by Gannon. Phone Post 3.0

I thought most british people were pussies that couldnt fight to save their lives...

And I also thought that no one could be a great wrestler Phone Post 3.0

*beat Phone Post 3.0