misunderstanding my online ranking system....

Do you charge money to review these tapes?

how come you didnt join in when the gracie online promotion thread hit.how come you waited to be outed before you spoke on this subject.?

12 - how come you didnt join in when the gracie online promotion thread hit.how come you waited to be outed before you spoke on this subject.?

Just curious. Why do you care? He titled this thread "misunderstanding my ranking system" so there would have been no need to make this thread if people "understood" his online program the first go round.

Just curious,no one would no about it if the poster didnt catch it.why do you care if i ask the ? but thanks for answer.i do understand,he promotes by video

EddieBravo - ...
But your gi gods, the gracies, grade online just like i'm doing now so get used to it, technology evolves, one day you must too. Plus the Gracies grade online to brown, I only go to purple. How can you say anything negative about me ranking online? If it wasn't for the gracies none of us would even be here. They grade online to brown, what is there to say after that?

Obviously you missed or ignored the threads where everyone reviled what they were doing.

"I can't believe this, after all the years of wrestling in a singlet, for chrissakes, you won the Nationals in a singlet! and now you're training without it? Saying blasphamous things about it? You are not wrestling if you don't have the singlet on" -Dan Gable :-D 

If you want to do bjj without a gi good for you. I think its fun to. I love how you constantly play the "persecuted by the bjj community" angle. Using paranoia really makes it easy to keep people under your thumb and deflects away from addressing real issues.

Who can argue with someone if their default response is "your just persecuting me/us"

Eddie,

I might be one of the only people that doesn't see anything terribly wrong with what your doing in terms of the online ranking system. From what you posted, it sounds a bit more legit with their home instructor having to recommend them and what not. I am sure you are going to be somewhat familiar with the student with the amount of seminars you have. In any case, I do however think someone who got their belt from a home instructor (black belt) does "sound" more legitimate. Obviously we know nothing until we hit the mats.

In any case, get rid of Ari Bolden. The guy is trash.

Eddie,

I was wondering how the 10th Planet system has been affected by the removal of Pluto as a planet?

Trichoke7 -  Eddie,

I was wondering how the 10th Planet system has been affected by the removal of Pluto as a planet?
Yea Eddie what the facking fack is up with that ?????????? Pluto's gone man GONE !!

Now somebody gimmie my Facking shoes !!!!!!!!!!!

CJJScout - Do you charge money to review these tapes?

Or do you watch 1h and 15 minutes per student for free?

Calibur1980 - Eddie, I am really hoping you can clear something up for me.

I've always felt that the difference between brazillian Jiu jitsu and other grappling arts is it's heirachy of positional dominance.

For instance, in Judo a pin for over 25 seconds gets you the win, where as in BJJ knee on belly, full mount and side mount all mean different things. The game has never been about the moves themselves.

That's why it's not really fair to call an armbar in Judo a BJJ move, or a takedown in BJJ a wrestlers shot. For the most part it is about grappling, and the rules make the game. Not the moves, and not the mentallity.

I've always figured that is why Ricardo DeLaRiva doesn't call his style a system or why PeDePano doesn't call his moves a system.

I've read all your books, and as far as I can tell, your general concepts are the same as typical BJJ concepts. Take away space on offence, create space on defence, break posture, go for subs, etc. You say you add more details with things like over and underhooks, but when do details like those stop being good ideas, and start being new systems. For instance, Carlos Machado offers dozens of tips and details that help me out grappling wise. Can his grappling be considered a new system?

So to clarify, most people would agree that moves do not make for a grappling style, and that seems to be what you use to set your system apart and give people belts for. Knowing moves. BJJ being pretty comprehensive some people will use over/ unders, some will use double wrist control. Choosing one instead of another doesn't really make for a new system IMO. It's just preference, and at the end of the day we are in a competitive sport where the most efficienct technique wins.

That said, you say that your main reason for offering online testing is in order to provide an avenue to guys who are grappling in a traditional Brazillian Jiu jitsu school. After taking my points into consideration why do you think it's neccessary to provide a seperate belt rank to people who are already training with a qualified instructor? Hypothetically if one of those guys trained BJJ for 5 years without ever taking off the gi, he would still go into the advanced division if he competed nogi. Could you still justify giving them a seperate belt for doing moves that you like?

Thanks for reading.
voted up

Eddie, don't you want to feel how your students react and respond before grading them? That's my biggest issue with any online grading, you only watch, you don't feel.

Bjj grading should remain about an instructor closely following the growth of his student over the years and that involves watching that student deal with thousands of different situations from sparring with noob muscle heads to high level rolling.

People blasted the Gracies on here after they started the online thing....

BUT my real question is, Can i walk into my "gi School" wearing my BLUE 10th planet ranking t-shirt???

Or should I just wear it while rolling with my throwing dummy.

AND can my throwing dummy get a white 10th Planet shirt without sending in a video??

Thanks in advance.

^ The only reason i ask about the shirt for my throwing dummy is... BJJ is about feel and flow. Well my dummy puts alot of pressure (120lb. of dead weight) on my chest, and i can really feel it. if i dont get out on my hip, i can not escape.

You definitely make some good points, DEEPU. I suppose with a fairly large network of Jiu Jitsu affiliates, the online system serves a purpose (to an extent). Remember, it's just to purple. Getting your brown and black is a whole other story. And the home instructor first evaluates the student before the head honchos at 10th Planet HQ evaluates via review of sparring, competiton, and technique footage. You know I've been doing Jiu Jitsu just as long as your intructor, but more focused on no-gi. So, I evaluate the "feel" of the student and then the Jedi Council in California gives the final approval. It's sorta like a double quality control measure.

lol@ just to purple

It is always going to be tough for the folks on the outskirts to get good instruction, this is probably as good as any way to figure it out. Not that I'm a big fan of it, but I at least like the attempt if it is done for the advancement of the art. I don't know that there is a perfect way to do what Eddie is trying to do.

Having said that, however, I just see it is a money making machine.

ectomorph - 
Calibur1980 - Eddie, I am really hoping you can clear something up for me.

I've always felt that the difference between brazillian Jiu jitsu and other grappling arts is it's heirachy of positional dominance.

For instance, in Judo a pin for over 25 seconds gets you the win, where as in BJJ knee on belly, full mount and side mount all mean different things. The game has never been about the moves themselves.

That's why it's not really fair to call an armbar in Judo a BJJ move, or a takedown in BJJ a wrestlers shot. For the most part it is about grappling, and the rules make the game. Not the moves, and not the mentallity.

I've always figured that is why Ricardo DeLaRiva doesn't call his style a system or why PeDePano doesn't call his moves a system.

I've read all your books, and as far as I can tell, your general concepts are the same as typical BJJ concepts. Take away space on offence, create space on defence, break posture, go for subs, etc. You say you add more details with things like over and underhooks, but when do details like those stop being good ideas, and start being new systems. For instance, Carlos Machado offers dozens of tips and details that help me out grappling wise. Can his grappling be considered a new system?

So to clarify, most people would agree that moves do not make for a grappling style, and that seems to be what you use to set your system apart and give people belts for. Knowing moves. BJJ being pretty comprehensive some people will use over/ unders, some will use double wrist control. Choosing one instead of another doesn't really make for a new system IMO. It's just preference, and at the end of the day we are in a competitive sport where the most efficienct technique wins.

That said, you say that your main reason for offering online testing is in order to provide an avenue to guys who are grappling in a traditional Brazillian Jiu jitsu school. After taking my points into consideration why do you think it's neccessary to provide a seperate belt rank to people who are already training with a qualified instructor? Hypothetically if one of those guys trained BJJ for 5 years without ever taking off the gi, he would still go into the advanced division if he competed nogi. Could you still justify giving them a seperate belt for doing moves that you like?

Thanks for reading.
voted up

+1 Voted up again...

whoa!

lol, I just voted eddie down on accident, but I don't feel bad!