MMA Event in NYC Next Weekend

Friday 05.17.2013 at 07:00 PM ET at at Terminal 5, NYC

Be a part of history as Mixed Martial Arts hits New York – brought to you by the newest MMA promotional team on the scene – Victory Combat Sports! Full sized cage, ground & pound all sanctioned by the WKA in the first legally sanctioned MMA event in New York. The event will take place at Terminal 5 where upwards of 2500 eager fans will fill the three level venue in mid-town Manhattan on the West Side! Come back for updates on the card and follow us on Facebook / Twitter for up to the minute updates on the card as they occur!

The May 17th fight card will feature Pan Am Gold Medalist and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Phenom Marcus Surin.

http://victorycombatsports.com/

4l

Interesting.. I'm guessing they are taking that Sanctioning loop hole.

The is great news, but what the fuck were the other officially legally sanctioned events in NYC that I went to? Mirages?

Hmmmm very cool. I see the start of good things coming frens Phone Post

Oh word?

Oh look, another "first legally sanctioned MMA event in NYC" - this one at the Hammerstein Ballroom in March.

siouxNYC - 

Oh look, another "first legally sanctioned MMA event in NYC" - this one at the Hammerstein Ballroom in March.

haha...

Glory is at Hammerstein Ballroom in June too.

Lou Neglia, what the hell are you doing holding legally sanctioned MMA shows in NYC in 2002 and in 1999 that were attended by the New York State Athletic Commission?

What is this? A blog full of coverage on New York MMA events from the past few years? That's crazy.

Do you wanna be a fuckin part of history?

siouxNYC - The is great news, but what the fuck were the other officially legally sanctioned events in NYC that I went to? Mirages?

this is what hes claiming

“These are technically amateur fights but are the first sanctioned fights by a New York recognized organization: World Kickboxing Association. 

gonna try to get my bro to cover it for the newspaper.

What's this "loophole"? Phone Post 3.0

BendoBentJediOver - What's this "loophole"? Phone Post 3.0

“These are technically amateur fights but are the first sanctioned fights by a New York recognized organization: World Kickboxing Association.

DamnSevern - 
siouxNYC - The is great news, but what the fuck were the other officially legally sanctioned events in NYC that I went to? Mirages?

this is what hes claiming

He's wrong. The first sanctioned fights by a New York-recognized organization were done by Lou Neglia at Vengeance at the Vanderbilt in 2002, and the organization was KICK International (a.k.a. Karate International, as it's listed in the NYS statute). The Kings of New York show in March also used that same sanctioning org.

This is the first time the WKA has sanctioned MMA in New York, but it's not the first "legally sanctioned" event. Not by a longshot.

There are two "loopholes". One is that a group of certain third-party organization can sanction pro MMA events, and the other is that amateur MMA (with or without any org sanctioning it) is legal.

This event doesn't need to be sanctioned by the WKA to have the event - it doesn't need anyone to sanction it as per NYS law. But it does need the WKA to get around the ban on alcohol being served at MMA events (which is from a separate statute).

in

siouxNYC -

There are two "loopholes". One is that a group of certain third-party organization can sanction pro MMA events, and the other is that amateur MMA (with or without any org sanctioning it) is legal.

This event doesn't need to be sanctioned by the WKA to have the event - it doesn't need anyone to sanction it as per NYS law. But it does need the WKA to get around the ban on alcohol being served at MMA events (which is from a separate statute).
Thank you Phone Post 3.0

Pics from last night's sanctioned amateur MMA show in the Bronx. Incidently, the Bronx is a part of New York.