MMA needs a 64 man tournament

My ROAD FC $1 Million Dollar LW Tourny Thread got the wheels turning.

The ROAD tourny is a 46 man deal with fighters needed to win one or two fights to qualify for the 16 man elimination round.

Ricardo Morais won a 32 man tournament in a single day in at AFC.

Royce, Coleman and a couple others have won 16 man tournys.

A year long 64 man tourny at FW, LW, or WW would be awesome for MMA.

Someone should make it happen. Get some smokeshow ring girls and make it happen.

Teh UG is ready to buy the i-ppv for $10.

Make it in one night and I’ll pay. No alternates.

A game of biscuit would be better 

$10 i'm in. Imagine if Bellator WW division held a nation wide tournament with other promotions. Khalidov vs Rory and bunch of other sick match ups

note: Not at the pace of this slow ass HW tournament though

I'll hold out hope someone will put together a 64 man tourny.

Certain promotions in Brazil, US or Russia could find the talent to do it easy.

BJ Penn Forever - I'll hold out hope someone will put together a 64 man tourny.

The cost for 64 fighters would be insane and to have it alll in one night would cause some serious CTE and long term damage. Maybe make first few fights 1 - 10 min round or something. Idk, but I'd def buy it.

Finding 64 Fighters That We Know In A Single Division Is Tough

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
BJ Penn Forever - I'll hold out hope someone will put together a 64 man tourny.

The cost for 64 fighters would be insane and to have it alll in one night would cause some serious CTE and long term damage. Maybe make first few fights 1 - 10 min round or something. Idk, but I'd def buy it.

I'm not suggesting they could do it in one night.

I think it should be done over six shows, two or three months apart.

Would not be a problem money wise as the tournament fights would just replace the normal single fights.

Pancrace, ACB, Aspera, etc... regularly put on 16 fight cards, that is all the first round of the tourny would be.

Maybe a small time promoter wants to chime in here, as a fan, it seems plausible.

So much FW and LW talent out there, FW's could just cut a little less weight and compete with LW's in the tourny. I really think the US and Russia have the talent pools to pull of something this size. Sure the first round would contain a lot of 2-0 pros, journymen, etc...

Someone could even go the ROAD Million Dollar Tournament route and hold different parts of the tournament in different promotions.

^^^that is all the first round of the tourny would be. It could just be held over two shows. 16 fights each show.

JoseyWales - 

Of course you are not going to know all the fighters but Ken Shamrock, Royce, Vovchanchyn, Coleman, Kerr, etc... made a name for themselves in tournaments.

Plus once you make it one fight a night every couple months, fighters would be dying to get a crack at the biggest tourny in the history of the sport.

For them it would be the same as taking normal fights but they would hopefully gain some exposure if they were able to advance through the rounds.

would have to be a one night tournament, but yeah, I agree.

^^^
Why would it have to be one night? Seems the hardest way to do it to me.

TUF/Bellator/ROAD/Rizin/Fight Nights all do tournaments over several shows.

AC's would never allow a one night, even if promoters and fighters wanted to do it. An alternate would be the likely winner of a one night 64 man tourny, nobody can stay healthy to win six fights in a night.

One night tournaments make the world a better place.

Eastern Europe could have a great 64 man LW tourny with all the talent in KSW, Akhmat, M1, Fight Nights, and ACB.

Unfortunately the promotion exclusive contract structure of MMA has the best LW talent spread out in almost ten promotions globally now.

Tournaments are great, but such a large tournament almost guarentees the best fighter won't win.

In

ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

Tournaments are great, but such a large tournament almost guarentees the best fighter won't win.

The three best fighters (by public opinion and fightmatrix ranking) have made it to the semi finals of the ROAD 46 man tourny.

But I hear what you are saying, injuries and upsets are big parts of tournaments. Tournament upsets are a great part of combat sports like wrestling.

BJ Penn Forever -
JoseyWales - 

Of course you are not going to know all the fighters but Ken Shamrock, Royce, Vovchanchyn, Coleman, Kerr, etc... made a name for themselves in tournaments.

Plus once you make it one fight a night every couple months, fighters would be dying to get a crack at the biggest tourny in the history of the sport.

For them it would be the same as taking normal fights but they would hopefully gain some exposure if they were able to advance through the rounds.

Your A Good Salesman

How about the UG puts it on. Im in. Just need 63 more of you jabronies a$$es to whip...

Winner gets a coveted screen name in purple.

Now that I reflect on the title of the thread, MMA does not need a 64 man tournament, it is just that I would sure as hell like to see one.