MMA&Police?

Are there any police officers,corrections,or sheriffs,that think MMA training is the right thing for law enforcement.I know MMA can be a great workout.I know it can help in a street fight.How about when you are handling a criminal that is so quick to sue and cry lawyer?

I love bjj but I really cant see it helping cops.Yeah definetly in a situaution where you are restraining some one in a cell block. But not out on the streets. The last thing you want to do is be on the ground and rolling around with some guy while his boy is trying to take your gun or even worst kill you.

"I love bjj but I really cant see it helping cops.Yeah definetly in a situaution where you are restraining some one in a cell block. But not out on the streets. The last thing you want to do is be on the ground and rolling around with some guy while his boy is trying to take your gun or even worst kill you. "

So how do you restrain people then? You can´t just shoot everybody and then cuff the bodies. Atleast you can´t do that outside america...

MMA is not the right thing for law enforcement but much can be gained from aspects of it like...

http://www.isrmatrix.org/videos/isr-dsl.wmv

-Luis

www.isrmatrix.org

In a prison BJJ will end up getting you hurt if not killed in the general population part of an institution. In the areas where it is concievable that the only people around are you, the inmate and the camera, BJJ could work, so long as the inmate doesn't have a shank. While I love BJJ, it is not the end all in fighting.

I am a fellow Law Enforcement officer and we do train in some bjj but also learn wrestling, kickboxing, and other defense tactics to restrain subjects. We learn from anything as small as restraint all the way to killing when justified. Ernd1980...that same scenerio you have mentioned is something that we also train in...we make sure that if taken to the ground we can still have control of our weapons.

I started training our local law enforcement & they are starting t catch on to the great aprehension techniques from Jiu-Jitsu. They don't have to use strikes or guns in basic vehicle extractions. Basics of Grappling go a VERY long way.

It definately helps

I am a Deputy Sheriff and I cross train. I've used my skills (loose interpretation of the word here lol) many times on the job. As much as it'd make my job easier, you cant just pull your weapon on knuckleheads because they're being uncooperative.

Unless your life is endangered, you cant really justify it in most situations you encounter. You're more likely to have to put hands on someone, than you are to shoot them. My training has been invaluable many times over.

I train standup for defending against strikes and I grapple too. Obviously, you want to avoid going to the ground if possible, but you dont always have a choice.

I honestly believe that my training improves my chances of avoiding injuries, and it lessens my liability, because I can control most crooks without having to beat them into submission.

In my opinion, gained from about 12 years in this field, MMA training is not only a wise choice for LEO's, but should be mandatory.

Denis Kang (# 9 fighter in the world under 185lbs according to ADCC) has had contracts to train the Vancouver Police in the past.

TPD in Tampa Fl. has regular seminars with Royce. He was just down here last year. I talked to a cop not too long ago that took BJJ and he said that he uses basic clinching and takedowns every day at work. So, yes it is a good tool for Police.

I'm a cop in CT and I have used BJJ several times , wtih great success!! I don;t mind going to the ground now because i know what the superior positions are and there are several techs for gun retention and control on the ground. But what I like best is the ability to put a person in a bad positon and keep them there if needed. I belive all cops should should have some type of ground training. SATY SAFE!

I think MMa training is a valuable tool for law enforcement. These are
tested and proven effective technique that work against skilled
opponents.

When used on the street they are even more effective against the
average arrestee. Arrest techniques taught by Royce Gracie, MFS and
Team Quest and other MMA fighters are more techniclly sound and
user friendly then what you get at your local police academy.

That said the new taser x26 is the best defensive tactic hand to hand
(hand vs taser) tactic out there and should be deployed by all
departments.

I would imagine wrestling would be better suited to law enforcement than BJJ, since wrestling focuses on control whilst bjj focuses on submissions.

HULC,

BJJ concentrates on position and subs. Any good BJJ guy will tell you, position before submission.

Hi I'm a corrections officer in Ohio and have been training in submission grappling and MMA for about eight years now. My department only trains its officers in Akeido (spelling)and the techniques suck. Were not allowed to use chocks at all, unless you can justify deadly force. A few C/O's like myself are doing some MMA training on thier own but not many.I recently used a hammer lock (kemoria- spelling?)to subdue a hostile inmate and that was cool. I know the Marine core is now doing BBJ for some of its hand to hand training. I hope one day things will change.

"I love bjj but I really cant see it helping cops.Yeah definetly in a situaution where you are restraining some one in a cell block. But not out on the streets. The last thing you want to do is be on the ground and rolling around with some guy while his boy is trying to take your gun or even worst kill you. "

There is a delicate balance between total subject control and "Total Control". Striking someone until they submit and roll over to handcuffed may be appropriate in some scenarios, believe it or not. In others, grappling alone may be sufficient. In many others, a combination of both approaches works best. This situation is dynamic and requires officers to be alert, trained and adaptable in order to keep up.

There are too many factors and variables to address here. This is why the "Which Martial Art is best for cops?" question will probably never be agreed upon.

Check out:

www.tonyblauer.com

&

www.isrmatrix.org

To all those that live in CT. My instructor Ron Kosakowski really has a lot of knowledge in this type of area.WWW.psdtc.com.I cross train myself for about 5 years and I am looking to pursue a career in law enforcement.I am worried about the certain habits I have from MMA training,I am not gonna call them bad habits,but they are not good for law-enforcement.IE:I clinch up with somebody am I gonna take him down and restrain or am I gonna do his MauyThai style elbow and knee him to death.I know the difference between right and wrong but I dont know what my first re-action might be due to 5 Years of training a certain way.Have any of you out there had a oops type of situation. Like oh shit I didn't mean to elbow that guy across the face My body just kinda took over?

As a full time Law Enforcement Supervisor and someone who has worked full time as a firearms and tactics intructor, and with close to 18 years on the job, this is the way I see it. Ground fighting techniques are very useful in detaining/restraining/controling and handcuffing, but then again it all depends on what's going on. Every situation is different, no two are alike. I do think every law enforcement officer should have some type of martial arts/mixed martial arts training, I also recommend some sparring to sharpen those skills. The last thing you want to happen is for the bad guy to have some sort of either martial arts or mixed martial arts training against an officer that has no such training, yes it has happened. Knowing how to defend yourself is very important when in law enforcement. That's it for now...

mrOLi

"I talked to a cop not too long ago that took BJJ and he said that he uses basic clinching and takedowns every day at work." - I have to wonder what is this guy doing to warrant having to use his schools day-in and day-out. Instead of being a good example, it almsot sounds like this guy is doing something wrong.

As for what is the best martial art for LEOs; Fletch summed it up best. In reality there isn't one. I think we all like to think that we have a good idea of what works best, but no single system is capable of providing this to us. The best thing for LEOs to do is to get as much training as possible and hope that their time has been well spent. For my DT work, I use principles from Hock Hochheim, my TKD days, Tony Blauer, the ISR matrix, Scott Sonnon, and others. For me, its all worked out pretty well so far.