MMA&Police?

I have been a LEO for almost 11 years now. It is the best kind of training for Law Enforcement. It has to be tempered and rearranged and the ground focus has to be on protection, restraining and getting back onto your feet (in no particular order). I teach mma style of Defensive Tactics to a few academies and have my own company for Law Enforcement def tac geared toward SWAT and Anti Terror. It is much better than any of the other ideology's out there.

I am a police officer in MASS and a fighter. I think it helps tremendously. I do recommend Jap. Jiu-jitsu alot though because most of the police I train cannot survive on the ground. Plus with all that gear it is very tough. Any training is good training for police because you never know. BJJ only though would be a death sentence in brawl situations so all should train like we do as MMA fighters. later Shaun

one of my grappling coaches is a sheriff I'm sure he uses it alot.

ernd1980 dont worry about clinching and takedowns, most of the time the fight is taken to you , so have cops should a good defensive counter to the most popular attacks, and the pople you fight in the street rarely have any mat time so you should do fine.

what happens when you get knocked on you ass? Or tackled? What makes you think Jiu-Jitsu is only on the ground? @ Our Academy we start on our feet every time. We also do LOTS of striking & strike defense in our Gracie Jiu-Jitsu class. A little Jiu-Jitsu goes a very long way. A lot of Jiu-Jitsu will make you a GOD against anyone you put your hands on if you train right. I think people should know about each Martial Art & be as versed in as many styles as possible, but to not learn really good Jiu-Jitsu is just plain stupid. A cop that doesn't know some basic Jiu-Jitsu is a victim.

Interesting thread.

At our gym we most of the time have big part of the guys being cops, they for sure think it is good to know how to fight. Most of the guys that run the place are cops, the owner was a cop. But on the other hand they agree that most of the time cops do not need to fight, they train because they think it is fun just like the rest of us, but there are a possibility that they have to use it at work.

Ive been on the job 19+ years.Im a small officer 5'7" and 175 lbs. My marginal ground skills have helped me A LOT at work. You'd be surprised how many folks just give up their back. TTT for Rorion's GRAPLE program!!

My .02 cents!!!

I am currently a Dep. Sheriff here in Mich. Most of the departments here use PPCT which MMA techniques can readily be adapted to. For example, Thai kick=angle kick. Straight punch to the face/solar plexus or heel palm to the face.

The problem I see though with the training is as follows. One of the city cops fights NNB/MMA and trains alot of other cops. He knows what you can and can't do, but alot of the officers he train get to excited to use what they have learned and try things like arm bars on the ground on resisting subjects just because. I would guess that this is not a unique problem in just this department but probably common when the ground aspect is not put into perspective.

Also, to consider most BJJ submission techniques are considered only appropriate to deadly force assaults. For example, armbar/kimura or any other hold used to break a joint is a no-no unless you are justified to use deadly force. In Mich. a RNC (assuming it is even allowed by your dept. policy) is considered deadly force. You just can't put it on to knock out the subject unless yours or someone elses life is in danger, or the danger of great bodily harm.

"It's good for security guards that hate skaters too."

And for skaters that get bullied by those who did not get to become a real cop.

Lance Gibson from UFC 24 who ko'd Jermaine
Andre with a spectacular knee to the chin
has been training Police Officers for
years. Gibson has had nothing but positive
comments from the Police Force. Kultar Gill
one of the top fighters in Canada is a
Corrections Officers and he also trains
with Team Gibson.

ttt

Cops have been using MMA for decades. Ground and pound, rear naked choke etc. The techniques are just a small part of it. The tactics of knowing which technique or weapon to use and when is most of the battle. Cops also practice transitioning up and down the use of force scale. The more tools you have in your arsenal that you know when and how to use, the better.

This thread is not acknowledging the totality of their training. MMA addresses about 1% of their total job duties. They have to be articulate report writers with basic lawyer knowledge of the criminal code, talented high speed drivers etc, negotiators, first responders for emergency medical treatment etc, etc. MMA helps, but it is not like they have the time to focus just on MMA.

The cops that train MMA have an advantage, but they could use additional training in a lot of areas, more cops are killed in car crashes than physical (non-firearm) confrontations. With this logic it would save more of their lives to train them better at driving. It is a complicated issue that is over simplified too often. I think cops should make MMA their means to stay in shape so they are killing two birds with one stone. I know MMA saved me from grave danger many times OTJ.

A Cop should know all about MMA incase some one that does MMA gets Mad @ a Cop.

In the Omaha, NE area at least a quarter of the people training MMA are law enforcement.

donnie

I think donuts are more dangerous to policemen than MMA.

donnie

I almost dread reading these threads because there is always at least one "coffee" lurking and waiting to jump in. I'm just surprised it took him 40+ posts to start his work.

ttt

Happy trolling coffee.

I am an Officer In CT. I have studied several different martial arts and started training BJJ around 92.

I am a great proponent of BJJ, however, many BJJ techniques will get you killed if you use them in a police function. (due to weapon proximity, officer/subject factors, multiple attackers and several other incidents mentioned previously in this thread)

CT POST has recently updated its training techniques and I feel they have gone in an excellent direction. They have encorporated some of the tennets of BJJ with other time proven techniques and come up with a fairly comprehensive defensive tactics program based on GROSS BODY MOVEMENTS. History has shown that fine motor skill techniques, IE wrist locks etc... do not work well under active resistence. The gross body movement techniques allow contact with the subject putting him at a disadvantage and then allowing for other restraint tech's to be utilized.

If there are any officers who are interested in this curriculum, hit my email and I can put you in touch with the right people. I have used the new curriculum on the job and have not been disappointed.

Touche' coffee. My spidey sense got the better of me.

The timing was right for the typical troll job: "I Hate cops. All cops suck. Etc."

My apologies.