"mma'er" converted to systema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfCLgJXmPNI

I put it in quotes because I have no clue if this guy is someone who legimtately took mma or is an mma fighter. He's not on fightfinder. And any asshole can talk about a double leg takedown. It's really a fucking joke.

I mean, are there any people on this board from Russia who have a more in-depth insight into systema??? Like a comment on the youtube video, I, too, recall reading that russian special forces train in combat sambo.

A lot of their students have previous mma or grappling experience

I had been doing mma about 5 years when I went to a systema seminar. They said they were going to start with pad work. Turns out their pad work was to be in pushup position and to slap a handmitt in front of you with one hand. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why everyone he was demonstrating on (the guys who came with him) would fall down every time when he'd so much as slap them on the back of the head. For five hours I waited for them to do some actual live sparring or something so I could test it out. Nope. $120 for Saturday and Sunday. I didn't go back the Sunday- I had a much more productive day watching TV.

later

TTT

Systema isn't a set of techniques. It's more a concept and/or philosophy.

I wouldn't be surprised if a former MMA guy found systeam effective, b/c a former MMA guy would have all the techniques and attributes to make systema work.

A person with no skill and attributes wouldn't.

An interesting story behind this video:

This was a fallout from the usual internet babble - this guy found out about one of the UK instructors going to a bullshido throwdown. This particular instructor plowed some guy in the mush, which brought some criticism, but I guess it was enough to peak his interest.

So he approaches UK systema guy and shoots this video. I got the full video, and I can say that the non-systema guy got very surprised. The highlights here aren't the whole thing or even the best footage. At one point he wants to go fast, and ends up fetal. He tries shooting and gets a fest to the face. Pretty soon as soon as he shoots and sees the fist, he's diving out of the way so it looks like he's lunging for the wall.

This isn't an MMA guy trying to do systema. It's a guy with some apparent training in MMa related arts trying to take out a systema guy and being made to look pretty bad.

Now here's the funny part - he produces this DVD, and ALL THE SYSTEMA HATERS HOUND HIM ALL OVER THE INTERNET. They accuse him of being on the take (like systema teachers make shitpiles of money), of trying to find an easy way to get rank (there is no ranking system in systema, you're just as good as you are), of being a fraud, all kinds of shit. Keep in mind up until now this guy has been pimping his own instructional videos hyping use of MMA tactics for teh str33t for YEARS, and nobody says boo.

So what does he do? Stop selling the video, mutter some vague things about being 'mislead', and now is hyping some SAS jap slapping method. Weak-willied motherfucker.

Systema's technical content:

Systema will not neccessarily teach armbars for example, but it teaches the principle behind one. In practice (I'm talking at VV's club here) what happens is people do sub grappling, and whatever works is used. Sometimes the subs are improvised, sometimes someone might bring something in he picked up somewhere else. Culturally there is no problem doing something you saw somewhere else if you can make it work.

Here is a video clip of a systema guy giving a seminar which gives some idea of how we approach grappling:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9Kl41uN-Dw&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param></object>

"It's a guy with some apparent training in MMa related arts trying to take out a systema guy"

I don't see anyone trying to take out anyone.

Where do you see that?

"He tries shooting and gets a fest to the face."

Which one, Ozzfest?

here's some footage of a systema guy from Vlad's grappling with a non-systema guy who (I was told) does some tournament stuff.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXmVbg9et4o&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param></object>

"Where do you see that?"

Did you not read the part of my post wherin I said I watched the ENTIRE DVD?

Jellyman,

The only Systema thread I can find on Bullshido is this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54449&highlight=systema

What UK throwdown are you talking about?

"Did you not read the part of my post wherin I said I watched the ENTIRE DVD?"

Apparently not.

'"He tries shooting and gets a fest to the face."

Which one, Ozzfest? '

No, smoke fest. Ok, ok fist.

"The only Systema thread I can find on Bullshido is this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54449&highlight=systema"

shrugs maybe they prune their threads.

That last clip I posted is also from a throwdown, btw.

The instructor's name was Paul Genge. He has a clip from the throwdown on his website last I checked. You can google.

Cleaned house?

Well, he did hit the guy in the mouth.

I'll see if i can dig up the vid.

"I'm assuming that the dude wearing the Sprawls is the non sytema guy correct?"

If by sprawls you mean body suit, yes

this should be fun:)

I believe more into the story that one of my friends in UK went to a systema (knife) demo and after seeing that stood up and said he's not buying it. He was asked to come up front and given a rubber knife and told to attack the demonstrator. He "cut" him up pretty bad several times and was because of this incident banned from these kind of demonstrations.

"The highlights here aren't the whole thing or even the best footage."

Thats getting very old. Everytime another hilariously bad Systema video is posted, jelly always uses that line or something similiar.