MMAists that will have the most brain trauma later

If you had to name 10 MMA fighters that you think might have the most brain trauma in later years, who do you think it will be? No particular order.

1. Terry Martin - This guy has been KO'd so many times and seems to be KO'd by a stiff win these days. He needs to give it up soon.

2. Keith Jardine - Being straight KO'd 4 times in the last 3 years is horrific. Part of me never wants to see him fight again because I just don't know how he can take many more.

3. Matt Lindland - I don't want to see him fight serious threats any more for the seeming disappearance of his chin.

4. Chuck Liddell - Again, finished 4 times in 3 years and a clear difference between the fluency of speech 7 years ago and now really seems disturbing.

5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Even though he's not been KO'd very much, the cumulative damage has already seemed to take his toll. Seeing a fighter go from iron jawed to average jawed is depressing when a lot of his fights rely on him taking punishment to get the eventual sub.

6. Kazushi Sakuraba - Not KO'd a lot really, but the punishment he's sustained on his brain is just as bad as his body! This guy is broken down and as one of my favorite all time fighters, it pains me to see him fight.

7. Ken Shamrock - He's probably the most degraded fighter in all of MMA today overall and will likely have serious health issues which is why I wish he didn't have that huge legal debt to Zuffa and could just retire with dignity.

8. Melvin Manhoef - Not really as much of an MMA fighter as he is a K-1 fighter, but it's sad that a guy with his skills doesn't have a better chin and a much better ground game. He'd be an unstoppable behemoth!

9. Jonathan Goulet - It pains me to see him fight. Imagine knowing that you're a tough guy with good stand up skills but knowing well that your chin isn't reliable. How much does that have to suck?

10. Jens Pulver - With a boxing based background, it's just not carrying him through any more, and I hate to see him have to fight again and again just to earn $. Yet another once champion who has nothing else to fall back on and one of my favorite fighters too!!

What about the wang and bang guys? Examples: Leonard Garcia, Scott Smith.

I know he's more than a wang n banger, but Chris Lytle has had some knockdown drag-out wars. And I agree with the original list too

^^^Very true! I thought about them but instead included the obvious examples but guys like Lytle and Leben did come to mind!

The sad thing about Garcia, is that he actually is probably decently skilled in the standup, but because pay is so low as a lesser weight, he almost pleases the casual retard fans or Dana (not a retard, just thinks sloppy, skillless brawls are the bees' knees) on a constant basis because he knows that he'll get a fight of the night reward often for it or that he can dupe the senile judges.

I am sick of sloppy, C level brawls with lack of any real technicality. Nam Phan had all the technicality in that fight and landed the significant strikes yet still somehow lost. Oh well.

Gary Goodridge. He's taken the most punishment by far. Phone Post

The visible example and the worst for MMA's image as a whole is Chuck Liddell, who knows how bad he might be in 10 years even if he never takes another punch again. You can't get rid of MMA without getting rid of boxing as well, multiple deaths, Meldrick Taylor, James Toney etc.

I think we can probably expect glove size to increase to 8 oz. soon at the very least

Bisping
Pete Sell
Big Nog
Liddell

My vote is Kazushi Phone Post

LOL what a great Xmas thread

Leben Phone Post

Keep in mind that long-term debilitating brain injury is not necessarily caused by KOs or concussions. There has been a lot of research on football players suggesting that repeated sub-concussive blows--blows that don't seem to do a lot of damage at all--accumulate over time, and are the main reason for dementia in athletes. Even in amateur boxing it has been shown that head gear doesn't really protect the brain at all, suggesting that a lot of the damage may actually originate in training. The fact is, no one really knows what causes dementia in athletes, and it is clearly very different from being in a horrific car accident that damages the brain at once.

Think about it this way, what's worse: a guy getting KTFO ten times in ten fights, or someone taking 100 000 shots to the head that don't knock him out?

keith kizer and cecil peoples

seems to be some incidence with brain trauma and ALS

people are forgetting the most obvious name:

Sean Salmon

also Wand has been in some wars, as has Nick Diaz

ManOfThePeepHole - keith kizer and cecil peoples

if only...

these guys are so retarded maybe repeated blows to the head could actually rearrange some of the wiring and make them sensible

david heath

Kazuyuki Fujita. He may have had a damn thick skull, but he made a living off of head butting fighters fists until they got tired.

andaladamooment - Keep in mind that long-term debilitating brain injury is not necessarily caused by KOs or concussions. There has been a lot of research on football players suggesting that repeated sub-concussive blows--blows that don't seem to do a lot of damage at all--accumulate over time, and are the main reason for dementia in athletes. Even in amateur boxing it has been shown that head gear doesn't really protect the brain at all, suggesting that a lot of the damage may actually originate in training. The fact is, no one really knows what causes dementia in athletes, and it is clearly very different from being in a horrific car accident that damages the brain at once.

Think about it this way, what's worse: a guy getting KTFO ten times in ten fights, or someone taking 100 000 shots to the head that don't knock him out?

Very nicely wrote, I could not agree more.

DANA if the YAKUZA in JAPAN go after him when he tries to go into Japan

Anyone that fights Nick Diaz

andaladamooment - Keep in mind that long-term debilitating brain injury is not necessarily caused by KOs or concussions. There has been a lot of research on football players suggesting that repeated sub-concussive blows--blows that don't seem to do a lot of damage at all--accumulate over time, and are the main reason for dementia in athletes. Even in amateur boxing it has been shown that head gear doesn't really protect the brain at all, suggesting that a lot of the damage may actually originate in training. The fact is, no one really knows what causes dementia in athletes, and it is clearly very different from being in a horrific car accident that damages the brain at once.

Right now the damage from football seems to be worse, especially since it typically involves spinal damage (for linemen) as well.