Modem/router

Hello gg,
My question is about modem/routers for online gaming.

I have a xbox connected to my router provided by my isp.

I have done everything I can think of to get the best connection and reduce lag.

I have connected my xbox by cable. I have put my xbox in my routers dmz, and forwarded all ports. I use a low input lag tv and wired controller. I have the fastest possible internet connection I can get.

Yet I still suffer a poor internet connection and get bad lag.

My question is will a modem help instead of using my isp router. I heard they connect to the net better. I play online with other people and when they host I can see the connection difference.

I rarely connect more then 1 thing at a time to the internet. My xbox is cables in but my laptop and iPad are connected by wireless. Phone Post

I think you are a little confused. You have a modem, it also apparently has a router built into it. It is unlikely that adding a dedicated router will help performance if the bottle neck is your isp supplied modem.

But it couldn't hurt. A linksys router should be reasonably cheap, very dependable and easy to use. You might also want to see what speed you are running at, your isp might have a higher speed for just 10 bucks more a month. I am guessing you are on DSL?

With a decent router wireless should not affect your speed. I have a wireless linksys running a PS3, laptop and a desk top (the desk top is hard wire connected) and with everything running never notice a drop in speed. But I am on cable and running at a pretty high speed overall (I think it's 6 mbps).

So short answer, first call your isp, see if they have a bargain on a faster speed. Then check into a good wireless router.

It's probably your isp. Before you buy anything run a speedtest, compare it to what you are paying for. If it is significantly less have your isp replace their modem before you buy anything.

Also some connection methods just suck. If you are using satellite internet you will have major trouble gaming or doing anything else that requires uploads.

You live in the UK....Most games are hosted in the U.S.. Sorry. Phone Post

I have the highest speed my isp can provide, as I live in an area that won't be covered by fiber cable yet. When I join a party with people from the UK I have a noticeably better connection with other people who have a better connection.

What is the difference between a modem and a router? Phone Post

Try forwarding the relevant ports for the online games you play.

A modem translates the incoming signal to ethernet which is the language your computer 'speaks' on the network. A router splits ethernet to multiple machines. So the router allows multiple computers to talk to a single modem. Without the router only one machine could be plugged into the modem at a time.

Most modern cable/dsl modems have built in routers, but sometimes they are not very good.

JackFunk - Try forwarding the relevant ports for the online games you play.

I have portforwarded all ports and put ny xbox in my routers dmz Phone Post

BigWilliam - A modem translates the incoming signal to ethernet which is the language your computer 'speaks' on the network. A router splits ethernet to multiple machines. So the router allows multiple computers to talk to a single modem. Without the router only one machine could be plugged into the modem at a time.

Most modern cable/dsl modems have built in routers, but sometimes they are not very good.

So I only have my xbox wired in. Laptop and iPad connect wirelessly. I rarely have more then 1 connected at the same time. Would I be better off with a higher end modem then my isp router. Phone Post

TTT Phone Post

I am not sure you can buy a new modem, I think it has to come from your ISP. You can but a new router, and that might help. But first I would go the speed test route and make sure your ISP is not short changing you.