Modern translation of Shakespeare? YES!

What kind of uppity blowhard would object to this? It's not as if all the original versions will be destroyed and you'll only be able to read the translated versions. I enjoy reading Shakespeare, but can comprehend it only because of the various footnotes, excellent websites like No Fear Shakespeare, etc that help me to understanding what I'm reading. Oh wait.... I'm not allowed to enjoy a more modern translation of Shakespeare because YOU don't like it?!?!?!

What next? Are you planning to ban flavors of ice cream you don't like?  

"They didn't have mint chocolate chip in the 1600's so you shouldn't eat it." - Uppity Blowhard

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-facelift-for-shakespeare-1443194924

A Facelift for Shakespeare

A new translation effort aims to make all of Shakespeare’s plays comprehensible to today’s audiences

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival will announce next week that it has commissioned translations of all 39 of the Bard’s plays into modern English, with the idea of having them ready to perform in three years. Yes, translations—because Shakespeare’s English is so far removed from the English of 2015 that it often interferes with our own comprehension.

Most educated people are uncomfortable admitting that Shakespeare’s language often feels more medicinal than enlightening. We have been told since childhood that Shakespeare’s words are “elevated” and that our job is to reach up to them, or that his language is “poetic,” or that it takes British actors to get his meaning across.

But none of these rationalizations holds up. Much of Shakespeare goes over our heads because, even though we recognize the words, their meaning often has changed significantly over the past four centuries.

READ MORE HERE:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-facelift-for-shakespeare-1443194924

Hi, TPK.

Welcome back.

Were you banned or something?

Yes, I was banned because I was loved by the people and fought against the tyranny of those who would deny the people access to the classics of literature

The People's Knee - 

Yes, I was banned because I was loved by the people and fought against the tyranny of those who would deny the people access to the classics of literature

I'll stand by you and fight to the death for these important principles any day of the goddamned week (as long as it doesn't get me banned).

Neat! In! Phone Post 3.0

How incredible that I actually like to understand what it is that I'm reading!!!! I must be some kind of radical who supports the "dumbing down of America". Apparently, I have to suffer and not understand portions of what I'm reading to truly appreciate Shakespeare.  Excuse me while I go read a book in Mongolian. I don't understand ANY Mongolian, but I'm sure me struggling with the book will result in me really appreciating it.

Here's a hint - Shakespeare wrote in English. You don't "translate" English into English.

Remember when that dude that died at the end of Titanic and the chick from Homeland did a modern rendition of Romeo and Juliet? That sucked.

Nuke us from orbit, only way to be sure.

phydeau - Here's a hint - Shakespeare wrote in English. You don't "translate" English into English.

Yeah, that's really great EXCEPT THAT IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE, YOU'D KNOW THAT ABOUT 10% OF THE WORDS IN SHAKESPEARE ARE INCOMPREHENSIBLE IN MODERN ENGLISH BECASUE THEIR MEANING HAS COMPLETELY CHANGED.

In short, you are wrong because may of the words DO, IN FACT, need to be translated.

And before anyone tried to get snarky, Shakespeare's English is considered Modern English, not Old English.

Chaucer wrote in Middle English.

Beowulf is Old English.

phydeau - Here's a hint - Shakespeare wrote in English. You don't "translate" English into English.

This. Can't wait for the modern translations of Dickens to start appearing. "Best of times, worst of times?" How about, "It was a fucked up time for Europe. Let's compare London and Paris at that time."

rufus - 

Remember when that dude that died at the end of Titanic and the chick from Homeland did a modern rendition of Romeo and Juliet? That sucked.

The problem was with the director and DiCapreo. Of course it's going to suck if all you do is strut around and scream. Clare Danes' performance was wonderful.

Ogami Itto - 

This. Can't wait for the modern translations of Dickens to start appearing. "Best of times, worst of times?" How about, "It was a fucked up time for Europe. Let's compare London and Paris at that time."

People say thay can't understand Tolkin because the writing is too old. It's less than 100 year for fuck sake.

The only complaint I have is that you probably will lose a lot of the word play that makes Shakespeare well... Shakespeare. I'd personally rather read it as it was written and have a reference source for anything I don't know, but to each their own.

"I'm against people enjoying things differently from how I enjoy them. Therefore, I forbid Shakespeare from being translated." - phydeau

I MET TPK IN PERSON LAST WEEKEND............HE WAS A SMOOTH TALKIN.......STYLIN...PROFILIN.....LIMOUSINE RIDIN.......KISS STEALIN.....WHEELIN AND DEALIN SON OF A GUN.............

AND HE RAPED MY BUTTHOLE

i am all for this idea

I think a cartoon version might be good. Phone Post 3.0

I am not against this, but if you rewrite Shakespeare, its not really Shakespeare is it?