Mom taken into custody after years in US illegally

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/immigration/2017/02/08/could-woman-first-arizonan-deported-because-trump-orders/97637928/

Protesters ring ICE in Phoenix: Could woman in custody be the first deported because of Trump's orders?

For  four years, federal immigration authorities have given Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos a pass to remain in the U.S. rather than deport her back to Mexico.

That changed Wednesday, when Garcia de Rayos went to check in as usual at the central Phoenix offices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Instead of being released, she was taken into custody, while her husband, two children — both U.S.-born citizens — and a group of supporters watched in tears.

And by Wednesday night, her case had become the latest epicenter of the national debate over immigration enforcement. Before midnight, after hours of protests outside the ICE office on North Central Avenue, federal vehicles left the facility, possibly with Garcia de Rayos inside.

Her family and supporters fear Garcia de Rayos, 36, may be deported quickly to Mexico. That, they say, would make her among the first casualties under a shift in policy by ICE under President Donald Trump.

I am sympathetic to people who just wanted to come here and make a better life, also it sucks to be deported after such a long time, however just ignoring the existing laws seem stupid and just asking for more illegal activity.

Hope she enjoys Mexico. 

Sad situation but asking seriously, if she was here for that long, why not try to get a Green Card or become a citizen?

Hasta luego

FreightTrain - Sad situation but asking seriously, if she was here for that long, why not try to get a Green Card or become a citizen?

BECAUSE OF LENIENCY ON OUR IMMIGRATION POLICIES.............

Sad to see a family ripped apart. But for all those years she was here, did she ever try to apply for a green card, or make any effort to become a naturalized citizen? I would assume being the wife of a US born citizen could make this process easier?

FreightTrain - Sad situation but asking seriously, if she was here for that long, why not try to get a Green Card or become a citizen?

Obama wouldn't allow it

"Relevant databases indicate Ms. Garcia De Rayos has a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation," an ICE statement said.

Jack Carter -

Obama wouldn't allow it

Truth.  She's Mexican with a Mexican husband, she had virtually zero percent chance of getting a green card unless she said her husband beat her.

Sucks to suck 

Wait, her husband is a citizen. She should have the paperwork to have her stay legally becuase of that. Fishy story  

whoops. Read it wrong - the husband appears to be illegal to. I don't want to split the family so throw them all out.

Jack Carter -
"Relevant databases indicate Ms. Garcia De Rayos has a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation," an ICE statement said.

Matt Serra.

Bye Maritza! 

"Husband does not have legal status and does not want to be identified" gave me a laugh

Where did they get married?

she have a criminal record?

Send her back.

The rest of her family, too, for harboring her.

I thought if you married a us citizen that you were granted permanent resident or some other status that can not be deported.

In 2013, an immigration judge found Garcia de Rayos had no legal stance to remain in the U.S. and issued a voluntary departure instructing her to leave the country, Ybarra-Maldonado said.

emu67 -

Wait, her husband is a citizen. She should have the paperwork to have her stay legally becuase of that. Fishy stoey

I misread as well. Children are citizens, not husband