Mom tells police a drone is spying on her kids.

Turns out, it was the police. 

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Neighbors-Push-Back-After-Hurst-Police-Hover-Drone-Over-Back-Yard-Without-Warning-418033603.html

Neighbors Push Back After Hurst Police Hover Drone Over Back Yard Without Warning

Neighbors in Hurst are now pushing back after a police drone hovered over a resident's backyard without warning.

Bobbie Sanchez said the feeling of privacy disappeared when her child said "Mommy there's a drone over our roof."

Sanchez said it was hovering long enough for her to take photos and then call for help.

"They're watching my children play in the backyard," said Sanchez. "I called the Hurst Police Department and was pretty surprised to hear that it was them."

Hurst police and fire started using drones earlier this year. They said the day they were over Sanchez's yard was a training exercise.

The department is already making changes. Any officer using the drone will now need high-level approval.

"We will not be doing any type of training exercises over houses and things like that," said Hurst Police Assistant Chief Steve Niekamp.

Going forward, the department’s drones will only launch over crime scenes or accident scenes, or to find a suspect, an active shooter or a missing person. The fire department can also use them to strategize while fighting fires.

"It might be legal but it's still creepy to think that police can be saying that they're training or looking for a criminal and still be looking at you in your backyard," said neighbor Casey Byrnes.

Sanchez added, "I am not a person who will give up privacy for safety."

A private drone can lawfully fly over your house. Just FYI.

Stupidnewbie - A private drone can lawfully fly over your house. Just FYI.

Can you lawfully take it down? 

Probably human traffickers 

I No Kung Foo - 

No. In CA, it is considered an aircraft, so shooting it down is the same as shooting down a plane. Why would you ever be able to damage someone else's property that is not violating the law?

PoiuPoiu - no. discharge a weapon into the air?

What if you're real accurate with a rock? Broom on the roof?

Stupidnewbie -
I No Kung Foo - 

No. In CA, it is considered an aircraft, so shooting it down is the same as shooting down a plane. Why would you ever be able to damage someone else's property that is not violating the law?
Why should pedos with drones be able to fly over backyards looking for targets? Should ban that shit.

Stupidnewbie -
I No Kung Foo - 

Fuck you 

Stupidnewbie - 
I No Kung Foo - 

A drone loitering over my property is coming down. I'll gladly pay a fine if someone does it.

LOL, talk about shooting the messenger. I'm sorry you guys don't like the law but it's still the law.

Police drones should have a little flashing red/blue police light on it

Kings21 -
Stupidnewbie -
I No Kung Foo - 

Why should pedos with drones be able to fly over backyards looking for targets? Should ban that shit.

Kids are pretty easy to find you know near schools, parks, on streets. Ice cream trucks

You know in the future there'll be drones flying all over your homes and dumbasses will still say, 'if you have nothing to hide don't worry!'

FreightTrain -

Turns out, it was the police. 

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Neighbors-Push-Back-After-Hurst-Police-Hover-Drone-Over-Back-Yard-Without-Warning-418033603.html

Neighbors Push Back After Hurst Police Hover Drone Over Back Yard Without Warning

Neighbors in Hurst are now pushing back after a police drone hovered over a resident's backyard without warning.

Bobbie Sanchez said the feeling of privacy disappeared when her child said "Mommy there's a drone over our roof."

Sanchez said it was hovering long enough for her to take photos and then call for help.

"They're watching my children play in the backyard," said Sanchez. "I called the Hurst Police Department and was pretty surprised to hear that it was them."

Hurst police and fire started using drones earlier this year. They said the day they were over Sanchez's yard was a training exercise.

The department is already making changes. Any officer using the drone will now need high-level approval.

"We will not be doing any type of training exercises over houses and things like that," said Hurst Police Assistant Chief Steve Niekamp.

Going forward, the department’s drones will only launch over crime scenes or accident scenes, or to find a suspect, an active shooter or a missing person. The fire department can also use them to strategize while fighting fires.

"It might be legal but it's still creepy to think that police can be saying that they're training or looking for a criminal and still be looking at you in your backyard," said neighbor Casey Byrnes.

Sanchez added, "I am not a person who will give up privacy for safety."

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

PoiuPoiu - no. discharge a weapon into the air?

I was thinking more like a bolo sling or a net like planet of the apes.

"A drone loitering over my property is coming down. I'll gladly pay a fine if someone does it."

Felony vandalism and unlawful discharge of a firearm won't result in just a fine....

Stupidnewbie - "A drone loitering over my property is coming down. I'll gladly pay a fine if someone does it."

Felony vandalism and unlawful discharge of a firearm won't result in just a fine....

I'm sure a $500-1000 drone can be jammed pretty easily.

PoiuPoiu -

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/rifle-shoots-drones-sky-without-firing-single-bullet-132038513.html

New rifle shoots drones out of the sky without firing a single bullet

One would need to be quite the marksman to shoot a drone out of the sky with a conventional rifle. Firing a bullet with a diameter of only about 7mm and hitting an airborne drone from several hundred feet away is obviously no easy task. But a new rifle unveiled earlier this week is a game changer for individuals and organizations looking to protect their privacy and safety by warding off snooping drones, and it doesn’t even fire a single bullet.

Ohio-based nonprofit research and development firm Battelle this week unveiled a device it calls the DroneDefender, which it says is “the first portable, accurate, rapid-to-use counter-weapon to stop suspicious or hostile drones in flight, providing critical security protection at home and abroad.” While it’s not a weapon in the conventional sense, it represents a huge step in the fight against unwanted drone activity.

. . 

now we're talking

GucciGucciGucci - Police drones should have a little flashing red/blue police light on it

This.