Monitor Screen Resolution Question?

Just wondering if there's anyway of changing a square PC monitor to widescreen? I've been using a laptop for the last while, that has a screen that is wider than it is high. I have recently switched back to a PC that has a very square screen and things aren't fitting into the screen like they did on the laptop. I've tried changing the resolution but the one from the laptop isn't an option. When I change it to the one that's the closest it has the opposite effect, it cuts parts off the side of the screen instead of the top and bottom.

Can anyone offer any advice here?