Monson N/S choke

How do you do the Jeff Monson choke/neck crank from North South?

are there any links/videos of this available on the net?

This one was without the roll I think. I'm curious too.

The Monson choke is very different from a gator roll.

Monson does a sort-of upside down guillotine from North South. the choke is with the shoulder/arm.

I played around with it and it actually works, even if you're not exactly Monson-esque (I weigh about 160 soaking wet).

Andre likes this choke. Maybe he'll esplain it

Leo Vieira did it too in the last ADCC to Spider. Cool no gi choke.

ESPLAIN ANDRE! ESPLAIN.

ttt

All I know is that it doesnt work on black belts.

Seriously though, I can pull it off on some guys in training, but it doesnt work every time and I definitely dont have the mechanics down for it. I'll do some research and post what I find out.

I have had Jeff show me how to do it. I can do it against guys my siz and smaller but guys that are a lot bigger than me I have trouble pulling it off. I am not a powerhouse by any means and if I was it would work much better.

To pull it off you have to stack your arms with the thum side on each hand sticking straight up. It is easy to show what I am talking about but hard to type it...

Tito also choked out Rumina Sato with this choke during his adcc stint.

I'd also like to know the proper technique into pulling that choke off too.

I atually used to do that move, but forgot about it. It's a 'feel' move sort of like the ten finger guillotine.

I'll try and figure it out too.

could someone describe the basic mechanics of the choke?

thanks

2TALL4BJJ perhaps you could post the youtube urls you watched. thanks!

thanks.

I started doing htis choke last month, I love it.

The easiest way to explain it is: you wrapped your arm around the back of your opponents head when they are on their back and your drop the shoulder that's the head is beneath it.

so, you're stacking your forearms on top of each other, and dropping ur shoulder? is that it?

thanks

how is he gripping his hands?

I can pull it off on some guys in training, but it doesnt work every time and I definitely dont have the mechanics down for it. I'll wait for andre to figure it out and post what he finds out.

If i'm not mistaken, this sounds like the "sprawling choke" demonstrated on the the SBGym's "Side Pressure and Concepts" Pomissions disk (Disk 2 I think?).

If I remember right, I originaly learned it from Paul Creighton as the Papa Serra choke... apparently he was catching everyone with it.

CC