Montana proposes 85mph speed limit

awilson82 - Should go back to no limit. There's nothing out there to hit. Hell you can drive for over an hour without seeing another car. Phone Post 3.0
Not sure how it is with wildlife there but I've seen deer total a car at 80. I can't imagine hitting something like that at over 90. Phone Post 3.0

classic oil companies.. changing the laws so people drive faster and use more fuel

Driving from jersey to Colorado was a long trip and once outside of jersey I maintained the speed limit. The more out west the speed limit increased the fastest was 75 at some points in Nebraska. I am all for faster speed limits, it takes forever to get through some of those states. And to be driving a vehicle with a license plate from NJ all the way out west is like putting a bullseye on your back waiting to be pulled over by highway patrol. 85 would've been nice the whole way. Phone Post 3.0

Raezor19 -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 
awilson82 - Should go back to no limit. There's nothing out there to hit. Hell you can drive for over an hour without seeing another car. Phone Post 3.0
Not sure how it is with wildlife there but I've seen deer total a car at 80. I can't imagine hitting something like that at over 90. Phone Post 3.0

I remember they would give tickets for exceeding the speed rating on your tires if you were driving too fast. It was $5 paid on the spot but it was the hassle that made you slow back down a little.

Yeah that seems smart. I remember a truck driver buddy of mine said there were rigs out there hitting over 150mph. I always imagined what that would do to a standing object or animal crossing the road. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
Raezor19 -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 

I remember they would give tickets for exceeding the speed rating on your tires if you were driving too fast. It was $5 paid on the spot but it was the hassle that made you slow back down a little.

Yeah that seems smart. I remember a truck driver buddy of mine said there were rigs out there hitting over 150mph. I always imagined what that would do to a standing object or animal crossing the road. Phone Post 3.0
At that speed in a big rig I'd imaging a pink mist.

I remember a gas station growing up with a sign
"Hit a deer? Wash the guts off here!" Phone Post 3.0

MountainMedic -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
Raezor19 -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 

Haha fucking gross! I used to do a 45 minute stretch at about 85mph down a little two lane pos farm-to-market highway. Road was lined with trees about 10 yards off the pavement and in 3 months I saw around 150 deer go from one side of the highway to the other, I started counting the time it took for them to get from one tree line to the other, longest one took 4 seconds. If you were 50 yards out, driving 85mph, there would be just enough time to tap the brakes before you crushed one of those fuckers.

Down here deer are like goddamn squirrels. Phone Post 3.0

Raezor19 -
MountainMedic - 
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
Raezor19 -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 

Growing up in atruck driving family I find it hard to believe any big rig hit 153 mph. Maybe KM's but even that's a stretch.

You see big rig diesel engines rpm is very low, much lower than your pick up truck engine.

I've never seen much more than 85-90 mph and thats with a 15 speed OD. They would just rev out.

Now I haven't driven in a while so maybe things have changed ? I know alot of big rigs have had automatic transmission for quite a few years but I still can't see how to get that rpm up when the truck still has to be able to pull 80,000 lbs.

He said there were a lot of modified rigs. He might have meant they weren't hauling anything behind. Or he could have been telling tall tales, frankly I just took his word on it. Phone Post 3.0

MahatmaPetey - Montana proposes Hard Mode in Human Frogger. Phone Post 3.0
I love it. Phone Post 3.0

MahatmaPetey - Montana proposes Hard Mode in Human Frogger. Phone Post 3.0
VU Phone Post 3.0

My truck would probably get about 12 mpg at 85 mph. I'd be the slow guy everyone would get mad at.

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
HernanCortes -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
MountainMedic -
Girly - What did it used to be? As fast as you could go? Phone Post 3.0
"Reasonable & Prudent" dawn to dusk in certain areas. So pretty much as fast as your balls would carry you.

It DOES seem fast, but if you aren't familiar with the vastness of the unpopulated west its hard to get your head around just how long it takes to drive thru nothing. Phone Post 3.0
I'm from Texas where you can drive 12 hours and still be in Texas. Phone Post 3.0
Brownsville to El Paso.

Do not attempt this drive. Phone Post 3.0
I've done Texarkana to Palo Duro Canyon. Brutal. I've also gone Austin-Houston-Austin-Dallas-Austin in 4 days. Phone Post 3.0
NYC to Houston... would've been 20 hours. Blew a tire in Tennessee and had to stay the night. Still only 21.5 hours on the actual road. Phone Post 3.0

I lived in Bozeman for a little while back in the 90's. The speed limit signs said 70 mph dusk till dawn, "reasonable and prudent" dawn till dusk. Those were the good ol days Phone Post 3.0

85 is pretty normal where I live if it's not gridlocked. Phone Post 3.0

Altofsky -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
HernanCortes -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
MountainMedic -
"Reasonable & Prudent" dawn to dusk in certain areas. So pretty much as fast as your balls would carry you.

It DOES seem fast, but if you aren't familiar with the vastness of the unpopulated west its hard to get your head around just how long it takes to drive thru nothing. Phone Post 3.0
I'm from Texas where you can drive 12 hours and still be in Texas. Phone Post 3.0
Brownsville to El Paso.

I've done Texarkana to Palo Duro Canyon. Brutal. I've also gone Austin-Houston-Austin-Dallas-Austin in 4 days. Phone Post 3.0
NYC to Houston... would've been 20 hours. Blew a tire in Tennessee and had to stay the night. Still only 21.5 hours on the actual road. Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha damn.

Is that 1 stretch, only gas/food/restroom stops? Phone Post 3.0

And of course a blown tire stop lol Phone Post 3.0

Yup.

Oh and one stop on the Atchafalaya bridge when I set the car on fire. Put that shit out with a bigass costco jug of green tea. Phone Post 3.0

HernanCortes - 
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
MountainMedic -

Brownsville to El Paso.

I wouldn't want to be in either one of those places, let alone drive from one to another

Texas has spots that are 80. It's awesome Phone Post 3.0

I HIT 90 REGARDLESS OF THE POSTED SPEED.......AND I'M WHITE SO I DON'T GET PULLED OVER.........WIN/WIN IMO

BIGWHITESEXY - I HIT 90 REGARDLESS OF THE POSTED SPEED.......AND I'M WHITE SO I DON'T GET PULLED OVER.........WIN/WIN IMO
I used to drive a box truck and my boss gave me a cowboy hat and said "put this on the dash in the front window and you'll never get pulled over."

I drove from San Antonio to Austin daily with that cowboy hat on the dash at well over the speed limit and didn't get pulled over once. Phone Post 3.0