More dangerous to own an iPhone 5S?!

Thieves might cut off your finger due to the new fingerprint unlock feature?! WTF!

That and the fact that your fingerprint will immediately go in to a government database.

Previously I wouldn't have worn a tin foil hat like this but it would now be foolish to think otherwise! Phone Post 3.0

peakes - That and the fact that your fingerprint will immediately go in to a government database.

Previously I wouldn't have worn a tin foil hat like this but it would now be foolish to think otherwise! Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0

Johnny Ringo -
peakes - That and the fact that your fingerprint will immediately go in to a government database.

This. Phone Post 3.0
Double this Phone Post 3.0

I thought our fingerprints are already in a database? Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post

roaminginthought -

I thought our fingerprints are already in a database? Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

Thieves might cut off your head for androids face unlock. You're fucked buddy.

you have to be alive for it to work. don't want to know how they tested that. Phone Post 3.0

I was looking at the notes of the Apple event yesterday, and they made a special point of mentioning that the fingerprint data does not leave the device. It never gets uploaded to the cloud or backed up somewhere else. I think with all the security concerns going on, they had to mention that right up front.

If you really want to get all tinfoil hat'ish, the fingerprint sensor is built into the home button. This is a very nice, convenient, and aesthetic way of doing it. But it's also a button you have to use to use the device, and you have no way of knowing when it is using the fingerprint sensor. So even if you don't use that feature, do you really know if it's not still reading your fingerprint? Queue the spooky conspiracy musich.

As for people cutting off fingers b/c of the unlock feature. That wont happen. When was the last time you heard someone stealing someone's phone for the data on it? People who steal phones do it so they can sell it and make a quick buck. You never hear about people stealing a phone and then forcing people to enter their passcodes, you're not going to suddenly start hearing about people stealing phones and cutting off the owner's finger

It may be easier to take the entire hand. Could be any one of the 5. Phone Post 3.0

Wow, thinking about it for a second, it'd be interesting to know if it can be used for security, specifically can they track the fingerprint being used on a stolen device and upload the information to a security database? Say they can, and one day they bust someone stealing a phone, can they then prove that he's stolen hundreds of phones b/c his fingerprint has been tracked using all the stolen devices

Dead President - 
Johnny Ringo -

This. Phone Post 3.0
Double this Phone Post 3.0

quadruple this times to the nth power of fuck that

sicko - I was looking at the notes of the Apple event yesterday, and they made a special point of mentioning that the fingerprint data does not leave the device. It never gets uploaded to the cloud or backed up somewhere else. I think with all the security concerns going on, they had to mention that right up front.

If you really want to get all tinfoil hat'ish, the fingerprint sensor is built into the home button. This is a very nice, convenient, and aesthetic way of doing it. But it's also a button you have to use to use the device, and you have no way of knowing when it is using the fingerprint sensor. So even if you don't use that feature, do you really know if it's not still reading your fingerprint? Queue the spooky conspiracy musich.

As for people cutting off fingers b/c of the unlock feature. That wont happen. When was the last time you heard someone stealing someone's phone for the data on it? People who steal phones do it so they can sell it and make a quick buck. You never hear about people stealing a phone and then forcing people to enter their passcodes, you're not going to suddenly start hearing about people stealing phones and cutting off the owner's finger

apple shill

mclay - It may be easier to take the entire hand. Could be any one of the 5. Phone Post 3.0

Thieves might cut off both hands just in case.

I cut off my girlfriends head to unlock her nexus Phone Post 3.0

Umm, apparently some of the posters in this thread weren't born in hospitals...

It's cool. As a younger man, I met a spaced out hippy named "Warrior" who had three young kids he used to feed weed bran muffins to. None of those kids were born in hospitals, none had a Social Security number, birth certificate...nothing. They were basically zombie children who didn't exist.

...and now they apparently post on the OG. Say hi to "Warrior" for me and tell him I've never eaten cleaner acid in my life. Phone Post 3.0