More MMA thoughts from the Hulkster

Hulk Hogan 'Learned a Ton' From MMA, Thinks Pro Wrestling Should Do Same

• Ariel Helwani

• Ariel Helwani is a Video Reporter and Writer for FanHouse

As Hulk Hogan prepares to make his return to the world of professional wrestling on Jan. 4, he fully recognizes that the sports entertainment landscape has changed drastically since he was actively wrestling.

Hogan recently signed a contract with upstart Total Nonstop Action wrestling, and will make his debut for the organization on a live Monday night edition of TNA iMPACT! on Spike TV next week. So not only will Hogan and TNA be competing for eye balls with his former employer, World Wrestling Entertainment, the wrestling legend realizes that he must now compete with the world of mixed martial arts, as well. 

However, instead of knocking MMA, and more specifically, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Hogan says he is learning from the sport, which has recently surpassed WWE in terms of yearly pay-per-view buy rates. 

"MMA is spanking the WWE as far as the pay-per-view stuff," Hogan told FanHouse on Tuesday. "Dana White and the UFC has done an amazing job, and it's all about timing. The UFC was ready to close its doors, they were losing a ton of money, they were going under, they were getting ready to go out of business, and then they did a reality show called, The Ultimate Fighter. They developed the characters; they made people care about the fighters; the people found out who the fighters were; they breathed life into the fighters. That's what I want to do with TNA. They've got the best talent in the world down there, but no one is breathing life into the characters."

Not only will Hogan be appearing on TNA television in a role he describes as, "the Vince McMahon of TNA," he also said that he will be running the show creatively behind-the-scenes. It is there that the 56-year-old will look to emulate what the UFC has been able to accomplish over the past decade. 

"I have learned a ton of stuff from MMA, watching them," he said. "They remind me of TNA. Ton of talent, but no one has put that Frankenstein, shock the monster, breath some life into the characters. I learned a ton from MMA, and I get along great with Dana White -- he's awesome."

FanHouse's full interview with Hogan discussing his return to wrestling and more will run on Monday, Jan. 4.

What-ch ya gonna do!!

Hogan is right.

xcouturefan - Hogan is right.

JimmersonzGlove -  

- TNA isn't an upstart...they've been around for like 7 years and on Spike as long as UFC
h

the ufc wasnt an upstart company when zuffa bought them eithr but look wht they have done

JimmersonzGlove -  That's cool that you got to interview the Hulkster but a couple things:

- TNA isn't an upstart...they've been around for like 7 years and on Spike as long as UFC

- Hogan has been on TNA television before, and I don't think he's wrestling on the 4th

Helwani did the interview.

Upstart means "one that has risen suddenly (as from a low position to wealth or power)" not "new" or "fresh." They have been around for almost a decade but have languished in mediocrity for years (low position).  With the additions of Foley, Hogan and possibly Flair, plus the move to a new time slot would put them in an "upstart" position.  With that said I'm still not impressed by their product. 

Reference WCW for what happens when Hogan is running the show.

TNA can do very well if the people involved can put aside egos. WCW failed because of egos. Respect the guys putting it on the line and reward the ones who are the best at it. I love TNA.

This is one of the best moments ever in any form of TV. <br /

Hogan knows best

gotta love Hogan

this WILL be the 1st time Hogan has appeared on TNA programming, all else has been pretaped footage from press conferences.

I'm very interested to what comes of this, especially with his "I've learned a lot from MMA/UFC " statements.

Hogan's being nice because UFC and TNA are both part of the Spike family.  Since MMA learned everything from pro wrestling, there's really nothing Hogan could learn from MMA that he didn't already know.

so, does this mean they're gonna do even more of those fake MMA fights?

Jym - Reference WCW for what happens when Hogan is running the show.

Hogan didn't "run the show" in WCW.

thforklift - 

var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/2epkeYzlqsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f", "postVideo-28592174-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-28592174");  This is one of the best moments ever in any form of TV. 

lol, good one!

Wiggy - 

That's arguable.  Who do you think "ran the show?"

DMS runs the show.

Wiggy - 

Bishoff supposedly ran the show in WCW,but when they brought in Hogan with all that money they pretty much gave him full creative control.Hogan didn't like the younger,smaller guys or the Luchadore's and he always wanted and brought in big dudes,whether they sucked or not,and most often they did.This is why guys like Guerrero,Jericho,Mysterio,Benoit etc. left,they were sick of Hogan and his elitist bullshit.The fact that MMA was being demonized and on the verge of being banned here in the states and that there were 2 huge promotions that were directly competing for the #1 spot every single week made it a good time to be a wrestling fan(I was also a teenager).