More on Marvel and Diversity -- A retailer speaks

From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/02/ryan-higgins-comic-book-retailer-wants-talk-diversity-vs-direct-market/

Comic book retailer Ryan Higgins of Comics Conspiracy in Sunnyvale, California, fresh from participating with Marvel Comics in the return of “Buy Physical, Get Digital” codes to the comic books, also had some thoughts regarding Marvel Comics and diversity. Which you may have read about recently.

Specifically in response to a post by Bleeding Cool’s Joe GlassDirect Market Vs. Diversity.

He took to twitter to prove it with graphs.

You can prove anything with graphs…

paw comments:  You really need to read the link.  It's an outstanding article, but because it's twitter, i would have to copy/pasta a huge number of images.  

So, instead PLEASE READ THIS AT THE LINK 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/02/ryan-higgins-comic-book-retailer-wants-talk-diversity-vs-direct-market/

PLEASE?

i think a lot of what he says makes sense. especially the part about keeping your classic main titles running (wolverine, xmen, etc) while at the same time introducing newer fringe characters. not vice versa.

the combination of wolverine getting killed off (for the time being) secret wars ending, cyclops getting killed and Cap being Hydra literally drove me away from buying comic books. i only went in to buy original stuff that i grew up reading. occasionally i'd pick up something new/different, but when literally EVERY reason i had to go buy comics was taken away i stopped. 

maybe marvel doesn't give a shit. maybe they do. at this point i won't care until i see a nice solid return to the stories that made the aforementioned comics great.

disbeliever - 

Them actually talking about it now, after denying anything, says to me they are in damage control mode. Nothing more

Them?  Talking about it?  after denying anything?

Probably need more Dr. Pepper....can you be more specific?  I'm a bit lost.

The pretty much bears out what I hear at my local comic shop. Cheap publicity stunts do not draw readers. Good writing, good stories are what people want to buy.

BigWilliam - The pretty much bears out what I hear at my local comic shop. Cheap publicity stunts do not draw readers. Good writing, good stories are what people want to buy.

Agreed.

But the comics media (and now some mainstream media outlets) are losing their minds over this.  You can check out bleedingcool for examples.  It's absolutely crazy.

paw - 
BigWilliam - The pretty much bears out what I hear at my local comic shop. Cheap publicity stunts do not draw readers. Good writing, good stories are what people want to buy.

Agreed.

But the comics media (and now some mainstream media outlets) are losing their minds over this.  You can check out bleedingcool for examples.  It's absolutely crazy.

Well Marvel is not going to say, damn we wrote some hot garbage, our bad. So instead they lay the play on the diversity aspect getting rejected. Easy, it's not their fault comics fans are a bunch of racists right? So they throw their own fans under the bus to save face.

BigWilliam - 
paw - 

Agreed.

Well Marvel is not going to say, damn we wrote some hot garbage, our bad. So instead they lay the play on the diversity aspect getting rejected. Easy, it's not their fault comics fans are a bunch of racists right? So they throw their own fans under the bus to save face.

I don't think that's what Marvel has done, although there are certainly people who desperately want that to be true.  When Joey Q was the EiC, he would simply shrug and say something along the lines of "we give every title our best efforts. Sometimes it just doesn't work".

Along those lines, whoever started this at Marvel should never have said what they said.  They should have made either a more generic statement (ie - Some of the titles we thought would be really well received haven't been - the sales levels haven't been there and we appreciate retailers giving us suggestions for improvement) or a very specific statement (retailers are tell us that <insert specific title here> isn't selling well, and our sales data seems to back that up.  We're going to review <insert specific title here> and make the necessary changes because we believe in <insert specific title here>).

One of the things that bothers me about this is what seems to be a certain amount of duplicity on the side of folks who want to burn Marvel alive because someone from Marvel may have suggested that "diversity titles" (whatever that is) aren't selling.  What I mean by that is titles that is there are some serious cherry picking and flexible definitions going on here.  A title that sells well is a "diversity title" and a title that doesn't sell well isn't really a "diversity title", and I think that's complete nonsense.  That's having a conclusion (or narrative) first and then finding data to fit it.

For my money, the folks that have stuck to the data (the retailer linked to in the first post, G. Williow Wilson) have seen pretty level headed in their response.  Most of the other "news" sites...not really.

And Willow Wilson had a GREAT point about not launching a new character in a title by killing or humiliating the character people who read that title liked! It instantly alienates the long term fans and puts them in a sour frame of mind towards the new character. They will forever associate that character with the loss of something they liked.

BigWilliam - And Willow Wilson had a GREAT point about not launching a new character in a title by killing or humiliating the character people who read that title liked! It instantly alienates the long term fans and puts them in a sour frame of mind towards the new character. They will forever associate that character with the loss of something they liked.

Absolutely!