More unfavorable hydroxychloroquine results

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2

Another study showing no benefit. Others are ongoing.

A malaria drug widely touted by President Donald Trump for treating the new coronavirus showed no benefit in a large analysis of its use in U.S. veterans hospitals. There were more deaths among those given hydroxychloroquine versus standard care, researchers reported.

The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment. But with 368 patients, it’s the largest look so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19, which has killed more than 171,000 people as of Tuesday.

The study was posted on an online site for researchers and has been submitted to the New England Journal of Medicine, but has not been reviewed by other scientists. Grants from the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia paid for the work.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival.

Hydroxychloroquine made no difference in the need for a breathing machine, either.

Researchers did not track side effects, but noted hints that hydroxychloroquine might have damaged other organs. The drug has long been known to have potentially serious side effects, including altering the heartbeat in a way that could lead to sudden death.

Earlier this month, scientists in Brazil stopped part of a hydroxychloroquine study after heart rhythm problems developed in one-quarter of people given the higher of two doses being tested.

Many doctors have been leery of the drug.

At the University of Wisconsin, Madison, “I think we’re all rather underwhelmed” at what’s been seen among the few patients there who’ve tried it, said Dr. Nasia Safdar, medical director of infection control and prevention.

Patients asked about it soon after Trump started promoting its use, “but now I think that people have realized we don’t know if it works or not” and needs more study, said Safdar, who had no role in the VA analysis.

The NIH and others have more rigorous tests underway.

17 Likes

Good question.

1 Like
Charles Barkley - 

Why do you you hate America?

Are you a full on moron?

We all hope we find the right treatment for this thing... and for a vaccine to be coming sooner than later.

Studies like these just show we need to be judicious in hailing things as wonder drugs.

7 Likes

Quote from your article

"Patients asked about it soon after Trump started promoting its use, “but now I think that people have realized we don’t know if it works or not” and needs more study, said Safdar, who had no role in the VA analysis."

1 Like

RdotC -
Charles Barkley - 

Are you a full on moron?

Never answer a question with a question.

Answer his question and he’ll answer yours.

3 Likes

danybayamon23 - 
RdotC -
Charles Barkley - 

Are you a full on moron?

Never answer a question with a question.

Answer his question and he’ll answer yours.

Cool.

Answer: I very obviously don't.

ill use the left argument tactic

"I know a guy that was saved by hydro, tell that to the dead bodies that didnt get hydro op , YOU ARE LITERALLY KILLING PEOPLE OP!!

I'm so tired of media trying to take every opportunity to bash Trump. Yeah, he touted it... But only after doctors did. It's not like he's the expert, he's just repeating what he hears from the experts.

It's all so disingenuous that it discredits the entire fucking article.

Fuck our dishonest media. They're responsible for all this division.

13 Likes

JitsuGuy - I'm so tired of media trying to take every opportunity to bash Trump. Yeah, he touted it... But only after doctors did. It's not like he's the expert, he's just repeating what he hears from the experts.

His own expert... Fauci... continually cautioned that we need to settle the fuck down and do studies on its effectiveness.

Instead... he kept touting it and instructed us to stockpile it (luckily, its a relatively inexpensive drug).

6 Likes

Charles Barkley -

By talking out of his ass, and pushing unproven drugs, Trump has created another wedge issue.

to his supporters it’s now, “you want hydroxychloroquine to work, or you hate America.” There is no wait and see

Trump sucks because he and his minions politicise everything (among many other reasons)

9 Likes

Living here in Madison, I would be surprised you could find anyone who would agree to anything Trump uttered or endorsed.  And if you did it would be rough on your career.

A nurse friend of mine contracted the Rona and was prescribed the Hydrox and Zpac. She's just about recovered and still chilling at home.

Zero side effects from the meds. 

2 Likes
Charles Barkley - 
RdotC -
Charles Barkley - 

Are you a full on moron?

We all hope we find the right treatment for this thing... and for a vaccine to be coming sooner than later.

Studies like these just show we need to be judicious in hailing things as wonder drugs.

Jesus, I can see I touched a nerve. I was being sarcastic and witty but based on your reaction there’s clearly some truth there. 

I see you post, I know you pretend to be intellectual and ‘down the middle’ because you’re ashamed of being a liberal. Which, truthfully, is the worst kind of political hack. Just own what you are. 

Maybe you really do hate America. 

No. Its the typical shitpost that this site is becoming known for.

If you disagree with anything Trump does or says, you are automatically a 'faggot leftist' or 'hate the country'.

Its one of the reasons this place keeps losing long time members. Its becoming this weird, cultist echo chamber.

I'm 100% not a liberal. I'm 100% not a conservative. But both sides no longer believe that anyone can't just blindly cheer for a 'side'. Its pathetic.

8 Likes

Al Cappucino - 

A nurse friend of mine contracted the Rona and was prescribed the Hydrox and Zpac. She's just about recovered and still chilling at home.

Zero side effects from the meds. 

Glad she's recovering well.

RdotC - 
JitsuGuy - I'm so tired of media trying to take every opportunity to bash Trump. Yeah, he touted it... But only after doctors did. It's not like he's the expert, he's just repeating what he hears from the experts.

His own expert... Fauci... continually cautioned that we need to settle the fuck down and do studies on its effectiveness.

Instead... he kept touting it and instructed us to stockpile it (luckily, its a relatively inexpensive drug).

he's been talking about it a lot less in the last week or so. Probably starting to realize it's not a silver bullet.

It sucks man. We need HCQ or CQ or Ivermectin to work. 

Remdesavir and other anti-virals are too expensive and take forever to mass produce.

Pratty -
Charles Barkley -

By talking out of his ass, and pushing unproven drugs, Trump has created another wedge issue.

to his supporters it’s now, “you want hydroxychloroquine to work, or you hate America.” There is no wait and see

Trump sucks because he and his minions politicise everything (among many other reasons)

Politicize everything? That's your sole contribution to this forum. And you don't even live in this fucking country. You're so laughably obsessed with the goings-on in a place 3000 miles across the Atlantic, while your own country is riddled with strife.

It must truly suck to be so one-dimensional and miserable. 

7 Likes

Caladan - 

It sucks man. We need HCQ or CQ or Ivermectin to work. 

Remdesavir and other anti-virals are too expensive and take forever to mass produce.

Absolutely...

We need to be seriously studying and running trials on things that might work... and keep hammering on a vaccine.

RdotC - 

Fauci is a piece of shit. How did he know Trump would deal with a pandemic anyway? All Obama holdovers are fucking crooked as fuck. Fauci is no exception.

1 Like

Give it up bro. Trump is going to trounce Biden in November. There is no way he will lose to a dementia patient. No matter what you nit pick, he's still going to win. Do your stress levels a favor and give up.

1 Like