More updates from Fed shutdown theater....

Monuments and memorials remained open during previous shutdown

Posted By Charles C. Johnson On 5:20 PM 10/02/2013 In Politics | No Comments

Although President Obama claims that he can’t avoid shutting down public sites and monuments, war memorials were in fact kept open during the 1995/1996 government shutdowns.  The administration’s decision to barricade the Lincoln Memorial marks the first time in its history the memorial has been totally off limits to visitors during a shutdown.

The administration has also balked at efforts by non-governmental groups to maintain access to public sites. 

But during the Clinton-era shutdown, World War II veterans kept the Pearl Harbor memorial open.

“Despite the federal government shutdown and an unrepaired sign that reads ‘Arizona Memorial closed,’ tourists are still getting expert commentary about the World War II memorial at Pearl Harbor,” wrote the Associated Press on January 1, 1996.

“It’s our way of helping to preserve the history of this place,” Bob Kinzler, president of the Aloha Chapter of the Pearl Harbor Survivors, told the AP.

Barricades went up in national parks across Washington, D.C. Wednesday, including the Lincoln Memorial. This, too, was unprecedented.

photo of the Lincoln Memorial during the government shutdown of 1995 shows the info booth closed but tourists still had access to the grounds.

It is not clear how much taxpayer money the Obama administration is paying to ensure that government sites and services remain shuttered to taxpayers. Popular Washington spots such as the World War II memorial are now guarded by more security personnel than they are during normal operations, while federal employees have been dispatched to put up barricades on capital bike paths and other public grounds that are not usually patrolled at all.

Obama’s team has also been caught deliberately punishing World War II veterans trying to visit their own memorial, with one administration official telling a veteran’s supporter, “It’s a government shutdown, what do you expect?”

The American people are currently paying for eight mounted cops to keep people out of the World War II memorial.

Daniel Burnett, a volunteer with Honor Flight, sent The Daily Caller FOAIed documents showing how much the Park Service is spending on the mounted police. To house, feed, and care for the horses it costs more than $41,000 year. Park police starting salary is $52,020, according to their website.

Another unprecedented aspect of the current shutdown is that the president has until Wednesday evening refused any discussions with the opposition leadership. In 1995 and 1996 President Bill Clinton and House Speaker Newt Gingrich negotiated vigorously and struck several  compromises, such as 75-percent funding plan that lasted more than a month.

Theater is the perfect word to describe this whole thing.

Biased article is biased.

I'm amazed at the tactic being used implying that the republicans are actually negotiating. The unprecedented aspect to this is the minority party is requesting to inflict damage on the presidents signature piece of legislation that many people have argued would most likely make the program fail.

This debate has been argued and the republicans have lost on obamacare so far. Demanding to have the democrats and Obama give in and cripple the program after they couldn't pass it in 41 try's, in the SCOTUS, or the last election is completely unreasonable.

Thage - Biased article is biased.

I'm amazed at the tactic being used implying that the republicans are actually negotiating. The unprecedented aspect to this is the minority party is requesting to inflict damage on the presidents signature piece of legislation that many people have argued would most likely make the program fail.

This debate has been argued and the republicans have lost on obamacare so far. Demanding to have the democrats and Obama give in and cripple the program after they couldn't pass it in 41 try's, in the SCOTUS, or the last election is completely unreasonable.

I am not really making a point about the shutdown or which side is to blame.

The point is the government is spending money, in order to make it seem like the shutdown is worse then it is. Total propaganda.

The Mt. Vernon Parking lot requires no fed funds or employees, yet they paid someone to go close it off with cones and barricades. HOW IS THAT SAVING MONEY?

This would be funny to me if I didn't live in the good ol US of A.

This is the government you elected, and the one before and the one before that.

There is only one solution.... don't accept the choices forced upon you and don't let the media take the place of your common sense.

sparkyman - This is the government you elected, and the one before and the one before that.

There is only one solution.... don't accept the choices forced upon you and don't let the media take the place of your common sense.

To be fair i did not elect any of these assclowns.

How is a national park open or closed?

That's like saying sorry, this mountain, lake, and tree are closed.

How in the fuck is nature open or closed?

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

6ULDV8 -

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

^Exactly Phone Post

6ULDV8 - 

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

See, there's these things called gates that you must pass through in order to have access to these parks.

When they are locked and guarded so you can't get around them, that's called "closed".

I live not too far from a national park. They went around earlier this week and kicked out all the campers and cut off all access.

Yeah, I'm sure you could sneak in. And get royally buttfucked when caught.

Today, the shutdown was going to close our local airport. It is covered for fire/emergency service by the local air national guard unit. Since the NG was furloughed, they don't have the service and would need to ground all flights. Now the county has picked up the tab to pay for coverage services to keep it open. End result it probably even more $$$ spent fixing the stupid problems than if they had kept things going.

PatK - 
6ULDV8 - 

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

See, there's these things called gates that you must pass through in order to have access to these parks.

When they are locked and guarded so you can't get around them, that's called "closed".

I live not too far from a national park. They went around earlier this week and kicked out all the campers and cut off all access.

Yeah, I'm sure you could sneak in. And get royally buttfucked when caught.

So your elected representatives are not allowing you, a US citizen, access to federal land, for which you pay taxes?

Hmmmm, something is completely out of control here.

This whole fiasco should be a wakeup call for people to really see what the government has become.

Why are the parks closed?  I read on here in another thread that of the 17 or so shutdowns we have had, this is the first time the parks are closed.

Then another thread pops up claiming "Washington Monument Syndrome".  The question is, which side or who decided the parks to be closed?

Think I might be going insane....

Barbasol OOTFFTT - 

Why are the parks closed?  I read on here in another thread that of the 17 or so shutdowns we have had, this is the first time the parks are closed.

Then another thread pops up claiming "Washington Monument Syndrome".  The question is, which side or who decided the parks to be closed?

The point is, that it doesn't matter 'which side' did it. Pretty soon all you'll do is debate which side is better or worse, completely forgetting the issue at hand - your government is screwing you.