Most COMFORTABLE Car for Cross Country Road Trip?

Ignoring fuel economy, for now, what is the most comfortable car for a cross country drive --where you are going to be driving all day several days in a row...?

(A car one can realistically rent, not a rolls-royce or whatever).

I have a bad back and driving all day, mulitiple days can be tourture.

What can I rent that will not put me in the hospital? A longer base car bult for highway crusing, I suppose.

Any ideas...???

A nice minivan is king for roadtrips

2 Likes

EricM - 

Oh, I should have mentioned: I AM A FUCKING MAN so I won't be driving one of those across America!

Actually... ---I kid-- if that's the way to go, I will.

Back in the day you had all these giant American boats that were best for long comfortable drives. I guess minivans have kinda taken that spot.

If you want extreme comfort, you want a 1989 Plymouth Voyager with with the middle seats removed and a 4" thick piece of foam from Ira's foam and fabric put in its place. 

The experience is like a majic carpet ride. 

Rolls Royce phantom

German.  MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche.  Nothing drives like a German car on the highway.  Personally I'm a fan of MB.

1970 buick le sabre

... even if you had to ride in the trunk

shen -
EricM - 

Oh, I should have mentioned: I AM A FUCKING MAN so I won't be driving one of those across America!

Actually... ---I kid-- if that's the way to go, I will.

Back in the day you had all these giant American boats that were best for long comfortable drives. I guess minivans have kinda taken that spot.

I've driven across the country multiple times and the trips with a minivan were the best. Something about having all that open interior space just makes roadtrips a lot more comfortable.  It's like a boat, set cruise control at 5 over the speed limit, have some good music, and just relax.

I'd take it over any mid level luxury car.  Now if you had the option of an Audi A8L that would be a different story because that thing is incredible on the highway, but a minivan is easily better than an A6 or comparable benz/bmw for long roadtrips

Brand new Chrysler 300 is my choice I snag those for rentals every chance I get. The V6 will go 600 miles on a tank of gas and I can usually make it that far before I need to get out and stretch my legs.

1 Like

Minivan 

I had one as a rental.  They really are comfortable 

1 Like

White347LX -

Brand new Chrysler 300 is my choice I snag those for rentals every chance I get. The V6 will go 600 miles on a tank of gas and I can usually make it that far before I need to get out and stretch my legs.

Yeah but he needs to make it across the country without stopping for repairs.

2 Likes

A big body beamer is near the top.  7 series is an absolute pleasure to drive.  Im a car guy, and was blown away first time i drove a 750li.  Next level, can drive across country then still have a good time, so smooth...

White347LX -

Jesus, I need stop every 1-2 hours for piss stops alone, no way I could do 600 in one go.

1 Like

Volvo XC90

I'm not paying to rent a bmw or similar.

I guess minivan & chrysler 300 sound like good options, thanks.

White347LX -

For a rental sedan , this is your answer.

1 Like

Hard to beat a Subaru Outback for comfort.  Great drive, comfortable seats, and you can throw a air mattress in the back to sleep.  Very affordable option 

1 Like

shen - I'm not paying to rent a bmw or similar.

I guess minivan & chrysler 300 sound like good options, thanks.

Suburban. Took one on 2 separate 24 hour drives and loved it.

1 Like

We were torn between a Ford Expedition or Explorer. We didn't know if we would need something as big as the Expedition. The dealer made us a deal where he gave us a 2020 Expedition for one week, with the option to keep it or return it for no charge and we'd get the Explorer instead. The Expedition was incredible to ride in. It was very smooth and comfortable with more room than we would ever need. The only thing we didn't like was trying to park it in the small and crowded Southern California parking lots. It was just too big for an everyday family car so we took it back and got the Explorer instead. If we were taking a long trip across country the Expedition would have been great. 

We did test drive a BMW M760 more just sort of "dreaming", wow what a car. If money was no issue it would be the car I'd choose. It was going for more than I owe on my house.

shen - Ignoring fuel economy, for now, what is the most comfortable car for a cross country drive --where you are going to be driving all day several days in a row...?

(A car one can realistically rent, not a rolls-royce or whatever).

I have a bad back and driving all day, mulitiple days can be tourture.

What can I rent that will not put me in the hospital? A longer base car bult for highway crusing, I suppose.

Any ideas...???

Nothing at all is comfortable for that long. Key is go drive with fun company. And rest-stops every 1.5 hours. If I were to choose, I'd pick a car where I sit high up and far from the road, like an SUV or van, and I'd ignore that it's a suspect feeling when starting up and accelerating and getting going before it stops vibrating from the diesel-engine, but it'll be comfortable when at cruising speeds. That plus you can pack all the shit you want in it. I've driven long stretches in sedans, SUVs (my daily driver is a "luxury" SUV), and vans, so for a rental, I'd get something where I sit a little higher up (SUV, van) and accept the compromise that it'll vibrate before I hit the highway and the pedal isn't very responsive. Good luck on your journey!