Most COMFORTABLE Car for Cross Country Road Trip?

boxing wiz -

We were torn between a Ford Expedition or Explorer. We didn't know if we would need something as big as the Expedition. The dealer made us a deal where he gave us a 2020 Expedition for one week, with the option to keep it or return it for no charge and we'd get the Explorer instead. The Expedition was incredible to ride in. It was very smooth and comfortable with more room than we would ever need. The only thing we didn't like was trying to park it in the small and crowded Southern California parking lots. It was just too big for an everyday family car so we took it back and got the Explorer instead. If we were taking a long trip across country the Expedition would have been great. 

We did test drive a BMW M760 more just sort of "dreaming", wow what a car. If money was no issue it would be the car I'd choose. It was going for more than I owe on my house.

That's one thing about bigger cars. A thing to get used to is even if you can fit in between two sedans or whatever close to the store or what not, you'll eventually begin looking at where does this parking lot end and how far away from the entrance and other cars can I legally park and still walk to and from the store. Best is get used to that right away! With a big car, even if you squeeze in between two regular sized cars, it's highly likely one of them is a family of four with ignorant kids holding an ice-cream while slamming their cheapass cardoor up against your pristine pearl or metallic or custom paint without a care in the world.

i did FL to NY in a new minivan a cpl yrs ago. great choice. the new models are crazy comfortable and great to drive

I’ve rented to drive cross country a couple times, the most comfortable was the Cadillac XT5, with a Toyota Camry coming in close second.   The Cadillac was very comfortable, not too large and decently fuel efficient.  Easy to set up the Bluetooth and just throw on some podcasts or books and you’re at the other coast in a few days with no major aches or pains.  

I do the trip from San Diego to either VA or NJ every year for thanksgiving and bring both my dogs.  I do it in three days and plan my route to hit a cool food spot that’s not to far off the direct route. Day one is a long one, I usually try to put in at least 14-16 hours and drop an hour or two off the second and third days.  I also have to make stops every couple hours to let the dogs stretch and pee.  

jackthestripper -
boxing wiz -

We were torn between a Ford Expedition or Explorer. We didn't know if we would need something as big as the Expedition. The dealer made us a deal where he gave us a 2020 Expedition for one week, with the option to keep it or return it for no charge and we'd get the Explorer instead. The Expedition was incredible to ride in. It was very smooth and comfortable with more room than we would ever need. The only thing we didn't like was trying to park it in the small and crowded Southern California parking lots. It was just too big for an everyday family car so we took it back and got the Explorer instead. If we were taking a long trip across country the Expedition would have been great. 

We did test drive a BMW M760 more just sort of "dreaming", wow what a car. If money was no issue it would be the car I'd choose. It was going for more than I owe on my house.

That's one thing about bigger cars. A thing to get used to is even if you can fit in between two sedans or whatever close to the store or what not, you'll eventually begin looking at where does this parking lot end and how far away from the entrance and other cars can I legally park and still walk to and from the store. Best is get used to that right away! With a big car, even if you squeeze in between two regular sized cars, it's highly likely one of them is a family of four with ignorant kids holding an ice-cream while slamming their cheapass cardoor up against your pristine pearl or metallic or custom paint without a care in the world.

Weird, I think the same thing about the kids getting into and out of Mommy Karen's giant SUV that she has to have to protect her little treasures.

Just fuck everyone else's doors / paint and squeeze it in and let her little urchins slam those doors open! 

I've done it in a station wagon, Ford Pinto, and Mercedes SUV. I can't recommend the Pinto.

Tahoe LTZ - /thread

A Toyota Landcruiser, of course. 

shen - Ignoring fuel economy, for now, what is the most comfortable car for a cross country drive --where you are going to be driving all day several days in a row...?

(A car one can realistically rent, not a rolls-royce or whatever).

I have a bad back and driving all day, mulitiple days can be tourture.

What can I rent that will not put me in the hospital? A longer base car bult for highway crusing, I suppose.

Any ideas…???

Jeep

Minivans are king. Whenever I dont own one, i regret it. Kids or not. Way more useful than pickups and suvs. 

For a roadtrip its no question.

Volvo seats are incredibly comfortable. I can drive for hours at a time in my S40 without even readjusting or shifting my weight. Its turbocharged so it never has to downshift while climbing mountain passes in Idaho/Utah/Wyoming, I don't even notice it running most of the time. And I still get 30+ mpg. Literally just plant my butt in the seat, set the cruise at 80, and enjoy the ride.

I've driven across the country 6 times... 2 in a 2006 Saturn Ion and 4 in a 2010 Subaru STi hatch.  So I've seen the worst twice.

The STi was surprisingly comfortable.  My wife was 7.5 months preggers for one of the trips and she says she wouldn't sit in any other seat.  The hatch doesnt look big on the outside but the design inside the cabin is incredibly spacious.  

Something also worth considering is the window size and perch.  The STi was a phenomenal view.

I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do when I retire the beast in 2022.  Fingers crossed for another STi hatch or a Tesla truck

If you can get someone else to drive get a hearse. You can lay down in the box in the back.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEHT9t5dqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cdRtwACf8

Realistically though, a Tesla with Autopilot.

I've driven from FL to CA and back 5 or 6 times, from NY to FL another 4 or 5 times, and have done countless 30 hour roundtrip drives all over the country, usually each way in one stretch. 

The most comfortable rides were in a Honda CRV and a Subaru Forester.  The advantage of the Subaru is that it had the Eyesight system and adaptive cruise control.  Those things are huge for long drives. 

Just get a nice comfortable SUV with all the cool driver assist gadgets, including adaptive cruise control, and you should be fine. 

I’d recomend a Lincoln Nautulus. Not to big. Not ghey like a mini van. Has all the creature comforts and roomy. 

If you’re on a budget. Go to uhaul and rent their smallest truck for a one way. Did that couple times. 

I recommend the Lincoln Continental for your trip up to Portland Oregon, Shen. Rentals are cheap at the moment and you can dictate pretty easily where you drop it off without extra charges

The two guys who said a Volvo are correct. Best seats in the business and that’s the single most important consideration for you IMO.

They are also right up there wrt to refinement, NVH, suspension/ride, tyre and wind noise etc.

They are in no way an entertaining drive but for covering miles very hard to beat at their price points.

This is actually a very useful thread --Thank you!

BTW, I noticed that the new Lincolin Continental is hot! Seriously–It has suicide doors. Whoever’s doing design for Lincoln knows what they are doing. Never thought I would say that.