Most common JUDO throws in MMA?

What would you say are the most common judo throws we see in MMA?

Drop seo? ouchi gari? uchi mata? osoto gari?

And specifically, what is the name of the throw Karo landed on Dave Strasser? It looked like a drop seo, but it was different.

Also, any gifs, pics, or vids to illustrate would be awesome

Fedor makes his throws work well

karo has instructionals on judo throws he has gotten away with on you tube. just type in judo throws karo for your search. great instuectionals.

Yeah Karo's was a drop seo nagi.

Look up the diaz fight as well, there was a couple of sweet judo throws as well. Maybe uchimata?

Fedor vs Nog 2 has Fedor tossing Nog like a rag doll with judo / sambo shit.

"Drop seo? ouchi gari? uchi mata? osoto gari?"

Personally, i dont classify ouchi-garis as "throws," but more what it transaltes to "leg reap/sweep."

Drop seois are very rare. Karo did them on Lytle and Strasser and Stevenson did one on Luke i think but they are rare. Osoto garis are also quite rare. The body lock and hip throws are more common: harai, uchi mata, ogoshi, whatever and there's all the leg hook/sweep variations.

Dont get too caught up in the names. The one that you referring to on Karo/Strasser (and Karo threw him a bunch of times) is just basically an "ippon seoi-nage" - one arm shoulder throw - but yes, it was done in a "drop" fashion and not so much the "pick up" way like you would throw a sack of beans over the shoulder. Seoi-nage's can also be done with both arms with the gi ("morote seoi") but you'll never see it in no-gi. Again, you dont have to name every variation really imo esp since the "names" can change mid-throw and everyone does them a little differently.

For example, Karo did an osoto-gari type thing on Strasser too but from his kimura grip which is, again, a variation and possibly changed in the heat of the action. Then he finished the fight from the kimura grip but did off a sumi-gaeshi (that backwards roll) instead. There is a clip of Karo teaching the sumi-gaeshi on you tube.

The sumi-gaeshi is very similar to how you would roll or flip someone over from the head and arm position as well or with the gi, you can grab over the guy's back and grab the belt - thats very strong, its called "obi-tori" in judo or just "belt grab." The obi-tori can also be used to sweep from guard. Just all grip variations but the motion/move is generally the same.

Hope thats a bit useful

Ouchi-gari's, etc, dont forget are quite common in wrestling too (just like double legs are done in judo too). Randy and Randleman are very good at them. Randleman, being the crazy athletic fuck he is, is good at doing them from starting outside the clinch. Nakamura also ouchi'ed Randleman and harai-goshi'ed him as well. I think thats the only time Randleman has been tossed like that.

And just because you see a "throw" in MMA doesnt necessarily make it "judo" either.

Personally, if the guy doing it comes from judo, then id say its a "judo throw," if the guy is a wrestler, then id say its a "wrestling throw." Or you can just say its a "throw." ;p

nakamura is good at them. i think shogun was the only one to stuff all of nak's throws

Shonie Carter is the only guy whom I've seen actually nail a proper osoto in an MMA fight (it was one of his fights with Steve Berger). IIRC, Hitomi Akano got Amanda Buckner with a drop Seio at the latest BodogFight PPV.

for the sake of being a proper prick...

judo does not declassify techniques like Wasa-B did above. Throws are throws in judo, period. what we today refer to as takedowns are still throws, we just sub-classify them (as there are also sub-claffications for every type of throw in judo).

a throw is a throw. there are not some that are called throws and others that are called trips or takedowns or pick-ups, etc.. they are all throws and under that umbrella we have forward throws, rear throws, sacriffice throws, counter throws, takedowns, foot sweeps, hand throws, hip throws, etc (with several of these groups crossing many barriers).

not that it matters one flippin bit or that i even give a damn about it... but, yea.

"for the sake of being a (galatically) proper prick (about semantics)..." you mean? ;p

"Shonie Carter is the only guy whom I've seen actually nail a proper osoto in an MMA fight"

Shonie has just pulled off so many of the most unorthodox things in MMA. But then again, he doesnt always consistently get them either so...

ko soto gake is easily one of the most used. That is the name for the trip that a lot of the fighters use when in the clinch.

"Shonie Carter is the only guy whom I've seen
actually nail a proper osoto in an MMA fight"

I think I watched one of the Camarillo brothers nail
a good one in an MMA fight. I'm not sure, though.

Wasa-B: Well the BJJ guys are galactic sized pricks over the semantic differences between the same armlock so...

joshua... i understand your point, but wasa-b was correct. ask someone that speaks japanese- osoto gari means "outside reap/sweep."

but, who gives a fuck.

whoabro, are you sure you understand joshuas point? his whole point was that all sweeps ARE throws, a subset of throws, so pointing out that the japanese words mean sweep is completely irrelevant to what he is saying.

WHOA, now you've got me arguing petty semantics too! jerks!

"Shonie has just pulled off so many of the most unorthodox things in MMA. But then again, he doesnt always consistently get them either so..."

So...what? He sucks? Who DOES consistently get all of their attempted techniques in every fight?

osoto gari = never....

"his whole point was that all sweeps ARE throws...WHOA, now you've me arguing petty semantics too! jerks!"

lol.

"Wasa-B: Well the BJJ guys are galactic sized pricks over the semantic differences between the same armlock so..."

Hold up, is this "galatic" thing resneck started catching on? Anyhow, thats cuz them bjj nerds have the same mentality of the tma geeks they think they're so different from.

"So...what? He sucks? Who DOES consistently get all of their attempted techniques in every fight?"

Umm, no, easy there. I like Shonie, im a Shonie fan. But to answer your question guys nobody does but guys like Hughes, Filho and Karo are a lot more consistent with their td techs than Shonie.

"Could I get that with some extra pickled ginger , and some saki?"

lol

"osoto gari = never...."

Hardly, not never.