Most Dangerous Gunslinger from the Old West?

There’s so many, and their stories are so shrouded in myth and exaggeration that it’s hard to know for sure. I wouldn’t call myself an expert on the old west, but at the same time, I know more about that era than anyone I know personally. As such, I’ll throw out the names of some of the men that I consider to be particularly handy with the steel. Let me know your thoughts.

Billy the Kid

Jesse James

Kid Curry

John Wesley Hardin

Pat Garrett

Doc Holiday

Wyatt Earp

Wild Bill Hickok

Tom Horn

Harry Love

1 Like

In

No Bass Reeves?

Racist.

2 Likes

![](upload://jN7V1S17Ux09DRGvlP4ORcxDHWa.jpeg)

3 Likes

Billy the Kid was the Jamie Lannister of gunslingers.

2 Likes

a few more … 

Langford Peal aka Farmer

Clay Allison

King Fisher

Dallas Stoudenmire 

Curly Bill Brocius 

Captain Johnathan Davis

Ben Thompson

“Longhair” Jim Courtright

Bill Longley

1 Like

Coin flip between Hickock and Hardin

1 Like

Hardin, but I’m biased.  Apparently a distant relative.

2 Likes

The one that wasnt a stupid fuck and waited for the other to draw first.

2 Likes

Doc Holiday knew he was slowly dying from tuberculosis, as gruesome a death as there is. He loved life, but he also knew that anyone who killed him in a knife or gun fight would be doing him a favor.

So he lived his life without a single fuck given, didn’t care who he insulted or offended, and didn’t back down from any fight.

6 Likes

Just read The Last Gunfight about the Tombstome shenanigans. From that, it seems the only really dangerous one was Doc Holiday, due to his mean temperament and drinking.

Wyatt was a badass, but it wasn’t like he did most of his killings himself. I think that happened on his vendetta ride with a bunch of others to help him ambush people.

I’d say Billy the Kid and Jesse James are up there at the top. 

effinggoof - No Bass Reeves?

Racist.

From what I’ve heard, he sounded like a total badass.

pfsjkd -

Just read The Last Gunfight about the Tombstome shenanigans. From that, it seems the only really dangerous one was Doc Holiday, due to his mean temperament and drinking.

Wyatt was a badass, but it wasn’t like he did most of his killings himself. I think that happened on his vendetta ride with a bunch of others to help him ambush people.

James was more a scumbag piece of shit than a gunfighter

Jesse james, Hardin,  or allison are the top of the list 

I love doc holiday but he knifed more folks and missed more drink shots than most.  He was dangerous but mostly drunk and didnt give a fuck

Wild Bill

The poster that noted Wild Bill and John Hardin as the two most dangerous could potentially be right; two very, very dangerous men. That said, if you don’t know Kid Curry’s story, look him up. Hands down he was a dangerous, volatile, cold blooded mother fucker.

Also, I don’t think Billy gets the credit he deserves by most wild west buffs. He survived (even thrived) in multiple shootouts. Survived the Lincoln County War–even escaped from McSween’s house after the army had been brought in. Assassinated a sherriff, escaped from jail multiple times. Just because he was in his teens to early 20s and baby-faced doesn’t mean he wasn’t the real deal. Blink on him on the wrong day and you’d be pushing daisies for sure.

2 Likes
Rakoshi - 

a few more … 

Langford Peal aka Farmer

Clay Allison

King Fisher

Dallas Stoudenmire 

Curly Bill Brocius 

Captain Johnathan Davis

Ben Thompson

“Longhair” Jim Courtright

Bill Longley

Good call on Clay Allison. I shouldve mentioned him originally.

WendyIDMT -
pfsjkd -

I guess it’s all in how you define ‘most dangerous’. Are we talking best shooter? Most likely to kill someone? Etc. 

pfsjkd - 
WendyIDMT -
pfsjkd -

I guess it’s all in how you define ‘most dangerous’. Are we talking best shooter? Most likely to kill someone? Etc. 

By most dangerous, I meant deadliest in a firefight.

WendyIDMT -

Hardin, but I’m biased.  Apparently a distant relative.

Me too, so I’m told. 

One of my favorite quotes: “They say I killed six or seven men for snoring too loud. Well it ain’t true - I only killed one man for snoring too loud.”

1 Like