Most disappointing UFC prospect

"I dont know if I agree with that. He has been up and down in Pancrase too. most of his fights were good but from memory his match with Yamamiya in 03' was pretty similar to his UFC performances."

Well, like you said, most of his fights were good. The Yamamiya fight was an exception. Not only that, but that's the only time Marquardt has fought above 185 lbs, so you can blame the added weight for his sluggish performance there.

He never looked so happy to win boring decisions in Pancrase the way he does in the UFC.

Diaz isn't a disapointment. He's a "d'oh!!!" Whatever the worst game to play is, he does it. He's gotta get somebody else in his corner. He just wanted to double jab and get taken down against Sanchez, stood toe to toe with Riggs the whole time (and did better IMO, but the judges are gonna see Riggs face not get banged up while Diaz bleeds worse than a Ukrainian, AND Riggs' punches make way more noise even when they miss...so essentially Riggs won because he was 200 lbs. and Diaz was like 180.), and his game plan against Sherk was equally bad.

He could beat any of those guys but he just had weird, macho strategies. And even though they were bad, he still didn't get his ass kicked in any of those fights. Far from it. He needs to take people down and use his great stand up as a back up plan. His personality reflects his style. (and I have several good friends with that personality-one WAAAAAAAY fucking worse-so I'm not knocking it. Well, besides the whole "dying earlier from a heart attack" thing.)

I don't understand how you guys can't like Marquadt. His sweeps are awesome. He has very good and technical stand-up. He doesn't open up a lot on top but thats really about it. One of the most technical fighters I have ever seen. I would be interested in finding out if the people that don't like him have any training experience. I would bet the people that like him are those with training experience because they can better appreciate how technical he is.

He could beat any of those guys but he just had weird, macho strategies. And even though they were bad, he still didn't get his ass kicked in any of those fights"

agree, linkage

I train and I think Marquardt is a badass. His striking is crisp and his ground game flows. It's not like Salavarry is an easy opponent. Salavarry is a tough dude who beat Riggs and Fruykland pretty easily. Marquardt would smash any average 185 guy. Doerskon is tough as nails.

mark robinson
matt serra

Two past UFC fighters ones off the top of my head.
Robinson was like the biggest/strongest and supposedly one of the most experienced martial artist ever in UFC, and he got fucked up by Hoffman.

Serra is exciting, but again the hype of him didnt equal the results.

Some other newbies are still ? IMO

I have over 5 years of BJJ training, but I still suck. Anyway, like I said earlier in the thread, I was always a Marquardt fan when he was in Pancrase, starting all the way back in 2000. His fights were usually exciting, and he was a finisher. He's been neither in the UFC.

After his fight with Salaverry, I was on here defending Marquardt. Everyone's allowed a bad fight every once in a while, right? But he fought the same way against Doerksen. Thankfully, Doerksen pushed the action and made it watchable, but Marquardt did just enough to win. He didn't try to finish or make it exciting the way he did in Pancrase.

It's frustrating.

Marquardt had some incredible fights in Pancrase. Marquardt/Kunioku 4 is one of my all time favorite fights. Marquardt/Takeuchi 3 was fantastic. Marquardt/Castillo in IFC was a 5 round war, very very exciting fight.

He's become a different fighter since signing with the UFC.

My answer is Pedro Rizzo. He had a couple good wins, but he really could of easily been the HW champ for a long time if he was more aggressive. He had a decent guard, nasty leg kicks and great striking, but had no mental game whatsoever. I think the UFC wanted him to be big, but he just went downhill quickly.

Mike Whitehead.

"Hey Mike, why don't you go ahead and lean up against the fence if
that's what you want to do." -Matt Hughes

I thought the fight with Doerksen was awesome. They both knowcked eachother down and Marquadt had two of the sickets sweeps I've ever seen. and the guy he was sweeping has ridiculous skills on the mat.

"I thought the fight with Doerksen was awesome"
I agree, that was the most entertaining fight that night imo

I think Stevenson looked pretty good even with the loss. He had a strange gameplan that didn't pay off, but you could tell he had some good skills. If that kneebar had worked we'd still be talking about how slick he is on the ground.

Sometimes the momentum shifts, you've shot your wad, and then it's just downhill from there. Some guys can turn it around, but Joe's young and new. He'll be back.

I had Whitehead picked to win TUF based on how good a fighter i knew he was and then he just let Rashad run over him.

Also wanna throw in Tiki. Yea he wasn't really a UFC prospect but he's like 0-4 in the UFC? Baroni and Lawler got brought back a few times cuz they were exciting AND had won fights b4. Can somebody explain how Tiki got that 4th fight?

I'm also saying Jorge too but that's more i'm disappointed that he got hurt...can't wait to see him fight at 100%.

I liked Nate's last fight.  He had great transitions from striking to grappling.  It may have not been a slugfest war but it was very technical.  I'd like to see the UFC throw him in with someone who will push the pace. 

rizzo, by a longshot

Sean Gannon, though I didn't doubt he would be beaten badly, I wanted him to surprise me. He had a sweet side story and the whole bit.