Most Distant Galaxy In The Universe Discovered

....too bad i cant post the goddamn article but here is the link.

http://mashable.com/2013/10/23/most-distant-galaxy-universe/ Phone Post 3.0

In for awesome space pic Phone Post

30 Billion miles away.

Go ahead. Wish on that star. Chances are it died off long ago. Just like your dreams.

How the heck is it moving at 97% the speed of light?   The energies involves are crazy.

Are they claiming that this galaxy is farther from us than the head of my dick is from the base of my penis? Because if that's the case, well, I've got news for them.

I used to hate the gr 12 calculus questions that required a whole page for an answer. Imagine how many fucking pages you need to answer the math questions involved with these guys. Phone Post 3.0

ptper - Are they claiming that this galaxy is farther from us than the head of my dick is from the base of my penis? Because if that's the case, well, I've got news for them.
lol Phone Post 3.0

"It took 13 billion years for the light from the galaxy to reach Earth.
The galaxy is about 30 billion light-years away from Earth."

Because it was that much closer 13 billion years ago? We must have been moving in the opposite direction. But then it must have been closer than 13 billion light years.

FastAndBulbous - "It took 13 billion years for the light from the galaxy to reach Earth.
The galaxy is about 30 billion light-years away from Earth."

Because it was that much closer 13 billion years ago? We must have been moving in the opposite direction. But then it must have been closer than 13 billion light years.

Because space is expanding, it carries all clusters of matter (galaxies, cluster of glaxies, etc) away form eachother. So even though the universe is 13.4 billion years old, the expansion put them tens of billions of light years away.

Yeah but it moved 17 billion light years in 13 billion years - that's faster than the speed of light. So we must be moving away from it as it moves away from us. But then would've been closer than 13 billion light years, and it's moved even more than that.

unclephilly - 30 Billion miles away.

Go ahead. Wish on that star. Chances are it died off long ago. Just like your dreams.

30 billion miles away would make it the closest star to us ;)

FastAndBulbous - Yeah but it moved 17 billion light years in 13 billion years - that's faster than the speed of light. So we must be moving away from it as it moves away from us. But then would've been closer than 13 billion light years, and it's moved even more than that.

Because of the nature of expansion, the further away the galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away from us. It's not that it's just increasing in speed, but rather it's being pushed along within units of space bound by the gravity of the mass within those units. It's much like how our own galaxy carries us along with it, within a galactic cluster that carries our galaxy along with it, within a galactic super cluster that carries our galactic cluster along with it. So even though Earth is moving at 18 miles per second, to someone viewing us from another galactic super cluster, we would be generally moving at least 15,000 times faster or much more depending on the velocity and direction of that cluster

That distant galaxy is moving away from us A LOT faster than galaxies closer to us

Jack Carter -

Pretty sure the sun is a star, brah. And so are you. Phone Post 3.0

Quick question....if it's the most distant, what's all that shit behind it..? Phone Post

baby-silverback - Quick question....if it's the most distant, what's all that shit behind it..? Phone Post

Legit LOL. Phone Post

If there is intelligent life in that galaxy and they are looking at our galaxy through their various telescopes at this very moment, this is what they would see:

Jack Carter - 

You should delete this post

Jack Carter - 

If there is intelligent life in that galaxy and they are looking at our galaxy through their various telescopes at this very moment, this is what they would see:

And if they happen to see the OG first somehow, they'll dismiss any chance of intelligent life on this galaxy.

This thread makes my head hurt. Phone Post 3.0