Most impressive 16+ year careers in MMA history?

Thread title should say 16+. The Hendo thread inspired the thought. What fighters have had the most impressive (given strength of schedule and win/loss ratio) 16-20+ careers in MMA history?

For example, guys like Cruz, Conor, GSP, Lesnar, Penn, etc... had great careers but they did stuff like went away to long, ended it losing too much, did not fight enough etc... to join this club.

Fighters with most impressive 16+ year long careers in no order. These are the first six guys who I thought of right away due to their records, strength of schdule, and length of career. Keep in mind 5/6 of them are still fighting.

1. Fedor 19 years, 38-6-0-1

2. Hendo 19 years, 32-15

3. Vitor 22 years, 26-14-0-1

4. Anderson, 22 years, 34-10-0-1

5. Overeem, 20 years, 45-17-0-1

6. Lawler, 18 years, 28-14-0-1

Additions:

Big Nog, 16 years, 34-10-1-1

Crocop 18 years, 38-11-1-2

Barnett 19 years, 35-8

Kharitonov 19 years, 29-6-2-0

Shogun 17 years, 26-11

Machida 16 years, 26-9

Shields, 20 years, 33-11-1-1

Sanchez, 17 years, 29-12

Wanderlei 22 years, 35-14-1-1

Rampage 20 years, 38-13

Patricio Pitbull 16 years, 30-4

Jose Aldo 16 years, 28-6

Sakuraba 19 years, 26-17

Faber 16 years, 35-11

2 Likes

Hendo consistently fought top guys across 3 weight classes.

Awesome career.

He beat Bisping twice too – and should have went out with the belt – I dont care what anyone says.

1 Like

Why can't we use GSP again? The lay-off?

PhillyFights -

He only had a 12 year career, then took four years off, and may or may not be retired. Great career but you can't judge it side by side to a much longer more busy career of more risk taking from a Hendo/Anderson.

BJ Penn Forever -
PhillyFights -

He only had a 12 year career, then took four years off, and may or may not be retired. Great career but you can't judge it side by side to a much longer more busy career of more risk taking from a Hendo/Anderson.

GSP had one of the greatest careers ever but guys like him and Cruz are not in the discussion for most impressive 16+ year long careers. Its just a rare feat.

Jones and mighty mouse should be on the list. Also, fighters with PED violations/TRT should have alittle star next to it.. 

Swamp Donkey -

Jones and mighty mouse should be on the list. Also, fighters with PED violations/TRT should have alittle star next to it.. 

No they should not be on the list.

Jones has only fought for 11 years.

MM has only fought for 12 years.

Shields?

Diego Sanchez has had an incredible tenure with the ufc

Out of the guys on this list I think Andy and Fedor had the most impressive careers. They both went on insane runs. Hendo comes in 3rd imo, he has a lot of losses.. how long have Edgar and Alvarez been fighting? If you want to add BJ then at the very bottom pls 

Ok so I just checked, Edgar 14years so doesn't qualify and Alvarez almost made the list, 2months short though

onepunchJD -

Hendo consistently fought top guys across 3 weight classes.

Awesome career.

He beat Bisping twice too – and should have went out with the belt – I dont care what anyone says.

Hendo is indeed awesome but he also lost to Shogun the first time 

Erik Apple -

Shields?

Great example of someone who "makes the list".

MDKSDMF -

Diego Sanchez has had an incredible tenure with the ufc

Yep.

Just imagine how tough it is on the body to be a high level pro for twenty years... getting through all those camps, all those injury rehabs, all the fights, and that is after ten or fifteen years of wrestling, BJJ, judo, etc... as a child and teen.

1 Like

Sakuraba 19 years, 26-17-12

Sakuraba was also doing pro wrestling for much of his career and he did not compete in his own weight class as often as a lot of the guys on the list. If he had only competed at WW and MW he would have had a much better record.

Remember the old joke that the best basketball team in the world was Michael Jordan and 4 bums off the street? That's how I feel about Jon Jones' career. The best 16-year career is Jon Jones' first 11 years and whatever he does over the next 5 years.

Andrei Arlovski

Tito Ortiz

Should be mentioned

Travis Fulton

Jeremy Horn

Sakuraba needs to be on the list.

Oddly, you need to go to #6 on the list to get to one that doesn't have SOME steroid issue in his past.  Albeit simply, in Fedor's case, he fought in an organization that created an environment where steroid use was at MINIMAL okayed, at worst absolutely encouraged.