Most impressive 16+ year careers in MMA history?

Marco Ruas

23 years

9-4

ufc belt.

Rickson Gracie

20 years

11-0

InspiritMick - 
onepunchJD -

Hendo consistently fought top guys across 3 weight classes.

Awesome career.

He beat Bisping twice too – and should have went out with the belt – I dont care what anyone says.

Hendo is indeed awesome but he also lost to Shogun the first time 

Not the same thing and I disagree.

Renzo Gracie 

26 years

14-7

gtownhoya - 

Remember the old joke that the best basketball team in the world was Michael Jordan and 4 bums off the street? That's how I feel about Jon Jones' career. The best 16-year career is Jon Jones' first 11 years and whatever he does over the next 5 years.

That’s a lame joke.

Jordan had Pippen, one of the best defenders and all around players of all time.

He had Rodman for the second 3-peat.

And all the role players were extremely well coached and did their jobs very well.

Jones is good, still not the GOAT IMO.

Royce Gracie

23 years

15-2 (also 3 draws)

his importance cannot be overstated.

Won UFCs 1,2,4 tournaments

Jump Kick -

Royce Gracie

23 years

15-2 (also 3 draws)

his importance cannot be overstated.

Won UFCs 1,2,4 tournaments

No way.

Royce only fought ten calender years.

Most of those guys on the list have more than twice as many fights as Royce and fought sixteen, seventeen calender years, only missing a year or two for injury.

Royce had a great career but he did not have a great legit 16+ year career were he was active like Overeem, Hendo, Kharitonov, etc...

Jump Kick -

Rickson Gracie

20 years

11-0

Very weak strength of schedule and when you take fourteen years between fights its not a legit twenty year active career like we are discussing in this thread.

Rickson was a great pioneer but does not make the list.

Rickson only has one solid MMA win, vs Funaki.

That’s a big win, no doubt! (Even though Funaki was visibly not what he once was physically)

And no disrespect to Yuki Nakai, who is as tough as they come and showed incredible heart.

Royce and Renzo both have better MMA resumes than Rickson.

Uncle Chael ... 

Not as good as some of the guys you mentioned, but Aleksei Oleinik 57-13-1, holds the record for most Ezekiel chokes in MMA history, and is still ranked in the top 15 of the ufc heavyweight division. 1997-present 

BJ Penn Forever -
Jump Kick -

Rickson Gracie

20 years

11-0

Very weak strength of schedule and when you take fourteen years between fights its not a legit twenty year active career like we are discussing in this thread.

Rickson was a great pioneer but does not make the list.

I understand. You're looking for 16 solid years not total time start to finish. Tito and Arlovski are legit though.

Fedor

Barnett

Hendo

Rakoshi - 

Uncle Chael ... 

Yep Chael has had a 20 year career and he did take a few years off but that still gives him 17 years of activity over 20.

His youtube content is really good. He does lots of quick analysis on fight promotion, fighter’s decisions, fights, events, title pictures, etc… the best MMA fighter youtube channel in the game.

As a distinguished broadcast journalist he now leaves most of the MMA media in the dust these days.

Wanderlei 22 years, 35-14-1-1

Rampage 20 years, 38-13

Hendo for sure is the king of this.  Always fought the best at various weights.   Seems like he fought murderers row for 10 straight years 

LBH_RN -

Hendo for sure is the king of this.  Always fought the best at various weights.   Seems like he fought murderers row for 10 straight years 

Went 9-9 vs men who at one time won the UFC world title. He is one of the kings for sure.

GSP went 9-2 vs UFC champs. GSP is the best WW for sure but if he fought anyone, anytime, any size like Hendo did and fought as long as Hendo did his career would look a lot more like Hendo's IMO and he would look less the the perfect martial artist. If Hendo was in GSP's shoes... he would have taken the Anderson fight back in the day, done a Hendricks rematch right after the first fight and he would have defended that MW title after winning it. Just two different ways to approach a career.

InspiritMick -
onepunchJD -

Awesome career.

He beat Bisping twice too – and should have went out with the belt – I dont care what anyone says.

GTFO.  That was/is the GOAT fight and it was razor thin.  Discrediting either guy is just plain retarded.

jgiveshead -
InspiritMick -
onepunchJD -

Awesome career.

GTFO.  That was/is the GOAT fight and it was razor thin.  Discrediting either guy is just plain retarded.

Erm no. I’m not discrediting Hendo, I’m pointing out the obvious that he lost that fight. Thanks 

1 Like

Maia had a fight in 2001 but did not really start until 2005. He plans to fight next year, if he can go two more years he can join the 16 club in a legit way of active fighters for sixteen plus years with only short breaks.

2nd most wins in UFC history already.