Most Say No to Federal Control of Guns

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/most_say_no_to_federal_control_of_guns

Most Say No to Federal Control of Guns

, September 23, 2015

Most voters still don't think the federal government should have the final say on gun ownership and don't like a country in which only the government has guns.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 34% of Likely U.S. Voters believe laws regarding the ownership of guns should be the responsibility of the federal government. That's down from a high of 38% in December. Slightly more (36%) believe gun ownership is a state government responsibility, while 18% say local governments should have the final say. Twelve percent (12%) aren’t sure.

So 88% of people think the government should regulate gun ownership.

Personally I think it should be a mix between state and federal while preserving our very liberal gun rights.

Ridgeback - 
attjack - Personally I think it should be a mix between state and federal while preserving our very liberal gun rights.

Your post implies that rights can be doled out in certain measures ranging from liberal to illiberal.  Does government give rights or recognize pre-existing rights it has no authority to abridge?

Not sure if you got what I was saying.

Trust - 
attjack - So 88% of people think the government should regulate gun ownership.

That would depend on whether "no government entity should regulate gun ownership" was one of the available response.  

True. Like I said my position would be a mix of federal and state regulation. So I'm not sure how I would have answered. Seems like the issue is more nuanced and perhaps the poll wasn't at all well designed.

Poll questions were:

1* Does the United States need stricter gun control laws?

2* Should there be a ban on the purchase of semi-automatic and assault type weapons?

3* Suppose that only government officials such as the police and military personnel were allowed to have guns. Would that be good for America or bad for America?

4* Should laws regarding the ownership of guns be the responsibility of the federal government, state governments or local governments?

Wow. Terrible line of questions. WTF is up with question #2?

Do you guys own a lot of assault weapons I understand pistols and hunting sporting guns.

Do they sell a lot of these in him stores. Phone Post 3.0

BigTedBear - Do you guys own a lot of assault weapons I understand pistols and hunting sporting guns.

I do not own an assault rifle because I think of them more a toy for men who think war is really neat. I do however own a semi automatic handgun. So that question lumping the two together is odd to me. I assume the vast majority of guns manufactured today are semi automatic, or self-loading.

Trust - 
attjack - 
BigTedBear - Do you guys own a lot of assault weapons I understand pistols and hunting sporting guns.

I do not own an assault rifle because I think of them more a toy for men who think war is really neat. I do however own a semi automatic handgun. So that question lumping the two together is odd to me. I assume the vast majority of guns manufactured today are semi automatic, or self-loading.

Why do you have a gun at all?  Did you buy it?  

I bought it when I was 21. I used to carry it around, and enjoyed target shooting. Before that I would target shoot with BB and pellet guns. If I were to buy a rifle I would want something practical rather than a make believe military weapon.

BigTedBear - Do you guys own a lot of assault weapons I understand pistols and hunting sporting guns.

I have an ar-15, best coyote hunting firearm that exists. Phone Post 3.0

attjack - 
Trust - 
attjack - 

Why do you have a gun at all?  Did you buy it?  

I bought it when I was 21. I used to carry it around, and enjoyed target shooting. Before that I would target shoot with BB and pellet guns. If I were to buy a rifle I would want something practical rather than a make believe military weapon.

The AR platform is a great hunting gun, look at Remington's line. In the AR 15 a great deer round is the 300 BLK, the AR10 offers larger rounds like the 308. In between are rounds for most game.

The AR is a top competition gun

You are trying to demonize something that you do not like. You have been convinced it is black and scary. Go buy a Remington AR

What do you mean? My friends that have assault rifles think they are cool and that's why they have them. No one is defeating the government with a semi automatic AR. It's kind of like having a sports car. It's for fun. That's my opinion and we're drifting away from the OP's original subject.

I'm not demonizing anything.

I go to the him store all the time.

I do not hunt, but I do enjoy shooting sports on the weekends.

For the various shooting sports I use the following fire arms:

IDPA - CZ-75 pistol

3-Gun - CZ-75 pistol, S&W M&P-15 AR rifle, and a Mosburg 500 18" shotgun

Steel Challange - Wide Body 1911, Ruger SR22 .22 pistol, and a Ruger 10/22 .22 rifle

Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays - Beretta A300 28" shotgun

Cowboy Action Shooting - Two Ruger Vaquero .45 revolvers, a Marlin .45 lever action rifle, and a Coachman 18" double barrel shotgun

If you look that list over, that's ELEVEN different firearms, simply to participate in a few different weekend shooting sports.

attjack - I'm not demonizing anything.

you are. just because the circle of friends you associate treat them like expensive toys doesn't mean there aren't people out there that use them for legitimate reasons every day.

and besides, while most AR-15's in the USA are semi-automatic don't think if the country went into meltdown mode that many of them wouldn't be converted to full auto. and that's not even taking into account bump fire setups already for sale in the states.

We gotta disarm felons and illegal aliens first. Then, when we are safe, we can talk about how to not be like Japan and run by the Yakuza because everyone isnunarmed except them. Phone Post 3.0

Mr. Wright - 
attjack - I'm not demonizing anything.

you are. just because the circle of friends you associate treat them like expensive toys doesn't mean there aren't people out there that use them for legitimate reasons every day.

and besides, while most AR-15's in the USA are semi-automatic don't think if the country went into meltdown mode that many of them wouldn't be converted to full auto. and that's not even taking into account bump fire setups already for sale in the states.

Not all, but many gun enthusiasts are a sensitive bunch. If anyone doesn't feel just like them about guns they feel they are under attack. It's probably all interrelated. The fetish itself and the sensitivity to differing opinions. Relax. I won't vote to take your precious toys away. Besides it's good for you to hear how regular people perceive things. Just as I appreciate hearing your perspective. As far as your fantasies about overthrowing the government how about you save that for when Americans aren't enjoying such a high quality of life. This isn't Russia.

It doesn't matter what people think or vote. When it's time the supreme court will just reinterpret and take away rights to gun ownership.