Mount detail

Nice. I use the opposite move to shut down a deep elbow escape. Never thought to reverse it to get the elbow up. I wonder what else I can reverse hmm...

shootbjj - 
blabbermouth -
shootbjj -

I've always maintained mount the way Roger Gracie taught in his youtube video. It's very easy for me because it only requires me to obey a few rules:

1) soles of my feet are glued to my opponent's body at all times

2) the movement of my opponent's head has to be severely restricted

3) my arms must always be between his legs

It's made a lot of sense for me. Nowadays I teach my students how to bridge-and-roll the Rickson way. That entire escape is killed so long as I obey rule (2) since his ear will never connect with his shoulder. Elbow-knee connection will also always remain impossible so long as rule (1) is obeyed.

All other escapes will be imperfect. That's where the submissions or backtakes come in.

"3) my arms must always be between his legs"

Can you explain? I can't figure this one out at all.

Basically I never want to allow the Anderson Silva-Travis Lutter mount escape to happen, so my elbows (and by extension, my arms) are always as close to my torso as the situation allows. I've found that it ties in with rule 2 when I use a one-armed can opener to control my opponent's head movement. You can also use two arms, but I prefer keeping one free to attack.

If I break rule 3, I have no arms to control the head and hence break rule 2. This is when my opponent can escape.

I don’t remember how the silva/lutter thing happened but I generally don’t let my elbows to extend out sideways away from my torso to prevent his legs from coming in. However another way to help prevent this is to lift up his head and use up the curvature of his spine that way.

IIRC Silva/Lutter was that Silva pushed up with his arms but laid on Travis' foot so he couldn't spin.  I only think I remember that because Roy Harris finds it funny to do this too. It's highly frustrating on the receiving end. 

I could be wrong. Maybe it was only similar to that. 

Meatgrinder -
shootbjj - 
blabbermouth -
shootbjj -

I've always maintained mount the way Roger Gracie taught in his youtube video. It's very easy for me because it only requires me to obey a few rules:

1) soles of my feet are glued to my opponent's body at all times

2) the movement of my opponent's head has to be severely restricted

3) my arms must always be between his legs

It's made a lot of sense for me. Nowadays I teach my students how to bridge-and-roll the Rickson way. That entire escape is killed so long as I obey rule (2) since his ear will never connect with his shoulder. Elbow-knee connection will also always remain impossible so long as rule (1) is obeyed.

All other escapes will be imperfect. That's where the submissions or backtakes come in.

"3) my arms must always be between his legs"

Can you explain? I can't figure this one out at all.

Basically I never want to allow the Anderson Silva-Travis Lutter mount escape to happen, so my elbows (and by extension, my arms) are always as close to my torso as the situation allows. I've found that it ties in with rule 2 when I use a one-armed can opener to control my opponent's head movement. You can also use two arms, but I prefer keeping one free to attack.

If I break rule 3, I have no arms to control the head and hence break rule 2. This is when my opponent can escape.

I don’t remember how the silva/lutter thing happened but I generally don’t let my elbows to extend out sideways away from my torso to prevent his legs from coming in. However another way to help prevent this is to lift up his head and use up the curvature of his spine that way.

This sounds exactly like what I do too