Mount: Transition or Hold?

As a lightweight, mount has been the most frustrating position for me. My only solid attacks are Ezekiel and triangle. We were going over holding the mount and finishing the cross choke the other night: opponent tries to roll , you drop your hip and grapevine the opposite side to stay heavy and avoid the sweep. Anyways , as simple as this was, it seemed complicated for me because I usually transition to another position or sub. Holding the position seems futile and I would rather transition. Why as a purple belt is this so damn hard for me? How do I break out of this?

It's not just a problem at lite weight, I'm 190 and have the same trouble maintaining mount Phone Post

ChipW - It's not just a problem at lite weight, I'm 190 and have the same trouble maintaining mount Phone Post

Is it a mental thing then? Confidence? Lack of experience/familiarity with the position?

no,it takes lots of practice,its harder to hold mount then escape it.. 

and dump the grapevine

Like anything else, you have to develop it. As a 150 lb guy I went through the same thing. Took me years to begin to get a good mount. Now it's my favorite position. You will always get bumped if you aren't completely focused and aware while you are mounting because some people are good at bridging without telegraphing it. Be ready to base with your hands and knees and be ready to attack during the transition if you do get rolled

jrv - Like anything else, you have to develop it. As a 150 lb guy I went through the same thing. Took me years to begin to get a good mount. Now it's my favorite position. You will always get bumped if you aren't completely focused and aware while you are mounting because some people are good at bridging without telegraphing it. Be ready to base with your hands and knees and be ready to attack during the transition if you do get rolled
if you got the choke in use your head for base

Try to step your feet on your opponent's hips and pinch the knees-keep the hands out wide. Your knees should be VERY high under the armpits and keep your chest low to create a suffocating feeling

Might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtkQbZGmOGY

12 -  no,it takes lots of practice,its harder to hold mount then escape it.. 

i have to disagree. mount IMO is the hardest position to escape, you get someone with a good mount on you and youre fucked.

actually this bring up a paradox of sorts in my mind... could Rickson escape his own mount?

Baroquen Record - actually this bring up a paradox of sorts in my mind... could Rickson escape his own mount?

The Universe would collapse

In my experience part of maintaining a good mount is attacking subs. They will stop pushing the knees, bumping, or give up back when you go for collar chokes and what not. If they shrimp all the way to their side I use collar grips from the choke to do a tight cross face and hard should pressure to get them back onto their shoulders.

But side control is a much better holding position for me. Mount is better for attacking. side has a lot of attacks too but fuck losing position for a sub when there are other options that still allow me dominant position even if the sub doesn't work out.

Baroquen Record - actually this bring up a paradox of sorts in my mind... could Rickson escape his own mount?

My instructor asked Rickson this exact question. Rickson told him that even Rickson could not keep Rickson mounted. Rickson reasoned that he was always closer to the escape than he was to the attack. Defensive Rickson ALWAYS wins.

Like many positions.... the mount takes practice.

lots of practice.

Setree -

My instructor asked Rickson this exact question. Rickson told him that even Rickson could not keep Rickson mounted. Rickson reasoned that he was always closer to the escape than he was to the attack. Defensive Rickson ALWAYS wins.

Yeah but I think anyone from Helios side would answer like that because of the emphasis they put on defense, especially escaping the mount. But I think in actuality it could be a different outcome Phone Post

12 -  and dump the grapevine

No.. the grapevine is great. I like to grapevine with 1 leg while I have a cross face and I bring my other knee up high under the shoulder...I can threaten ezekial or go directly into s-mount or mounted triangle from there.

I think a lot of guys get too committed to their submission (cross choke, americana, etc.) and end up getting put into guard or defending their own guard. You got to understand that the position is more important. Let it go, but be quicker to different attacks.

mrgoodarmbar - 

No.. the grapevine is great. I like to grapevine with 1 leg while I have a cross face and I bring my other knee up high under the shoulder...I can threaten ezekial or go directly into s-mount or mounted triangle from there.

I think a lot of guys get too committed to their submission (cross choke, americana, etc.) and end up getting put into guard or defending their own guard. You got to understand that the position is more important. Let it go, but be quicker to different attacks.

I do post my head to avoid the sweep like 12 mentioned earlier. The downside to that is that when your head goes down, it takes some pressure off the guy and he MIGHT be able to get back to half guard. The technique we were doing was based on this thought, hence the grapevine. We were practicing on finishing from mount. Thanks for the input guys.

Baroquen Record - 
12 -  no,it takes lots of practice,its harder to hold mount then escape it.. 

i have to disagree. mount IMO is the hardest position to escape, you get someone with a good mount on you and youre fucked.
see rickson quote, argue with him

angrypirate - 
mrgoodarmbar - 

I do post my head to avoid the sweep like 12 mentioned earlier. The downside to that is that when your head goes down, it takes some pressure off the guy and he MIGHT be able to get back to half guard. The technique we were doing was based on this thought, hence the grapevine. We were practicing on finishing from mount. Thanks for the input guys.
try touching your feet and pointing toes to the sky,when he rolls go for a single hook and post with your knee and hand , keep it tight.jordan taught this at gracie barra today ,guys liked it.

try  putting both hands in your belt  and keeping the mount,its good practice,start with white belts and work your way up

maybe i dont know what the grapevine is,but if its wrapping my  leg around his ,i could never get comfortable bringing my knee up to his shoulder,maybe im  just short