Moving on up

With all the talk the last few years about the lack of opportunity for young people I have to wonder how many OGers feel that they have been able to succeed anyway. So, how many of you feel that you are more succesful than your parents? What did you do to get there, and what advice do you have for young guys trying to do the same? Phone Post

To the east side! To a delux apartment in the sky! Phone Post

QuinTheEskimo - With all the talk the last few years about the lack of opportunity for young people I have to wonder how many OGers feel that they have been able to succeed anyway. So, how many of you feel that you are more succesful than your parents? What did you do to get there, and what advice do you have for young guys trying to do the same? Phone Post
You're turning to the OG for advice on how to be successful in business? That's like going to a finance school and asking them how to get good at jiu jitsu. Phone Post 3.0

FISH DONT FRY IN THE KITCHEN!

BEANS DONT BURN ON THE GRILL!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

Virginio -
QuinTheEskimo - With all the talk the last few years about the lack of opportunity for young people I have to wonder how many OGers feel that they have been able to succeed anyway. So, how many of you feel that you are more succesful than your parents? What did you do to get there, and what advice do you have for young guys trying to do the same? Phone Post
You're turning to the OG for advice on how to be successful in business? That's like going to a finance school and asking them how to get good at jiu jitsu. Phone Post 3.0

Lol. No I am looking for people to tell success stories to try and encourage others who are just getting started. This thread is inspired by the book, "the millionaire next door" that I read earlier in the week that was full of success stories. Id like to hear from guys on here with more of the same.

Ill start. I feel that my wife and I are enjoying a great deal more success than my parents but less than hers. I grew up in a home that struggled to put food on the table. We ate beans for months at a time and rarely had money to spare for fun.

The two biggest differences in my life than my parents are that I chose a blue collar job where my lack if higher higher education is not an obstacle and that we have never borrowed money outside of our mortgage. I am doing very well as a machinist and I dont waste any money on interest. Plus, I am saving for retirement in my twenties which I believe will really pay off in my forties. But, I know we have to have guys on here with better stories than that so go. Phone Post

TOOK A WHOLE LOTTA TRYIN
JUST TO GET UP THAT HILL Phone Post

I'm more successful than my parents by a small margin.

QuinTheEskimo -
Virginio -

Lol. No I am looking for people to tell success stories to try and encourage others who are just getting started. This thread is inspired by the book, "the millionaire next door" that I read earlier in the week that was full of success stories. Id like to hear from guys on here with more of the same.

Ill start. I feel that my wife and I are enjoying a great deal more success than my parents but less than hers. I grew up in a home that struggled to put food on the table. We ate beans for months at a time and rarely had money to spare for fun.

The two biggest differences in my life than my parents are that I chose a blue collar job where my lack if higher higher education is not an obstacle and that we have never borrowed money outside of our mortgage. I am doing very well as a machinist and I dont waste any money on interest. Plus, I am saving for retirement in my twenties which I believe will really pay off in my forties. But, I know we have to have guys on here with better stories than that so go. Phone Post

Hey bro didn't know we had any fellow machinists on here! Well I wouldn't say I'm doing better than my parents are right now, but I am for sure better off than they were at my age. I'm 23 and I've been a machinist for nearly 6 years. I'm making good money now, 401K, awesome vacation and benefits. I've never been one to throw away my money and be wasteful either so I bought my first house at 22. Now I'm about to put my townhome on the market to sell and then buy a much much bigger house at nearly 24. I'd say I'm doing pretty well. Phone Post 3.0

Oh and I've done all this as a single man because screw relationships at my age. Phone Post 3.0

CJax -
QuinTheEskimo -
Virginio -

Hey bro didn't know we had any fellow machinists on here! Well I wouldn't say I'm doing better than my parents are right now, but I am for sure better off than they were at my age. I'm 23 and I've been a machinist for nearly 6 years. I'm making good money now, 401K, awesome vacation and benefits. I've never been one to throw away my money and be wasteful either so I bought my first house at 22. Now I'm about to put my townhome on the market to sell and then buy a much much bigger house at nearly 24. I'd say I'm doing pretty well. Phone Post 3.0

Thats great man. I think we have several machinists. I saw two or three guys say they are in another thread. What kinds if machines do you run and what kinds of parts do you make? I am mostly a lathe hand but I do get to spend a little time playing with a little manual bridgeport mill. The most fun I have is playing with our 7-axis swiss turns.

You make a good point lets say for our standards that we are comparing to our parents at our current ages. Thats what I meant but never stated it.

What steps did you take to be able to afford this great living situation? Did you stumble into a great paying shop or was it perhaps thrifty decisions? Do you believe that your aptitude as a machinist is what brought you success? Tell us your secrets. Phone Post

Now we're up, in the big leagues
GOT MY TURN AT BAT.