Moving to Austin, TX. Need the OGs help!

So as the title says, I am moving to Austin at the end of summer to go back to school. In a week and a half (Memorial Day weekend) I am going to visit for the first time. Where do I need to go? What do I need to do? I'm 32 so not really into the "clubs". What are some cool hole in the wall, country, unique bars that I should go to? What other places should I check out? Phone Post 3.0

And I already to know to go to 6th st but what bars? Phone Post 3.0

The only things that come out of Texas are beers and cheers. They like their football down there. Phone Post 3.0

The capitol building is kinda cool. UT games are fun. There are lakes everywhere for fishing. There are college girls everywhere for raping. Eat at a chuys while you're there, the food is painfully mediocre tex-mex but the green dip they bring before the meal makes the whole experience worthwhile. If you like cigars look for a cigar bar on 6th street. I've never been there sober so I cant recall the name but they roll them in house and di a great job. Phone Post 3.0

PM me if you like the small club live music scene. Phone Post 3.0

Fuck the traffic there! Phone Post 3.0

Slo ko, I am on my phone and can't figure out how to PM. I'm new to this! Phone Post 3.0

OP - I'm going to be fishing and crabbing that weekend for 2 days/ 1 night in Matagorda. But we will probably be back Saturday night and available then or Sunday.

If I'm going into a weekend without plans, I like to fall back on a visit to The Continental Club on South Congress. They have live music all the time. There usually isn't a cover charge, I almost never have heard of the bands, but I always enjoy them.

Afterwards a trip next-door to Lucky Robot for sushi is a must-do nightcap. Try the brussel sprout appetizers. I HATED brussel sprouts growing up, but if it weren't for a table full of people telling me to trust them I wouldn't have eaten almost an entire serving myself.

Make sure to visit Texas Chili Parlor on 14th and Lavaca if you like hole in the wall bars with great 70's rock, and super friendly atmosphere. I shit you not, almost every time I've been there I've made a friend. It's the kind of place you walk into and several people will turn and say hello like they know you. Sit at the bar. Enjoy the great drink prices. Their chili is excellent (has brisket for meat), and as spicy as you can handle. Their steak is underrated.

Have brunch at Fado's Irish Pub. The Irish breakfast is amazing. They also pour the best pint of Guiness in town. And even if you don't care about football (soccer to us) there's usually a crowd of ex-pats in there watching games, which is a fun experience just for the sake of their energy alone.

Another good Saturday afternoon spot is on Rainey Street. Go to Bangers! They have live music, loads of picnic bench style seating, and a shit ton of brews on tap. Always a good time. It's mostly an outdoor type deal. 

This may not be your thing, but I find nothing finishes off a long weekend of getting fuuuuucked up like Pho and Raspberry Sake at 888 Asian bistro. Be forewarned, the large portion is literally a half gallon, but its loaded with meat, veggies and noodles. 

This should get you started if you want to stay off the beaten path for the most part.

I'll be back after work with pics and video from some of the spots I mentioned.

MindBottling - Fuck the traffic there! Phone Post 3.0
Austin resident here.

Yes traffic is horrible, but I always mention that for people moving here. Just be cautious OP. I'm sure you're familiar as you have been to the city before, but lately the traffic is out of control.

For food places I'll start you off with the basics (that you probably already know)

Burgers: Hopdoddys
Pizza: home slice
Bar b q: salt lick
Mexican food: chuys is good as mentioned, but there are some in San Antonio so it's not quite the unique Austin type. I would recommend this food truck near Lamar, but I forgot it's name lol. I'll let you know when I find out.
Donuts: Gourdoughs

Cafe casual: 24 diner

Steak: Sullivans
Oriental (Uchi, one of the best restaurants in Austin)

Yes my answer are cliche, but whenever my friends come down, they always want to go to these aside from the expensive places mentioned (Uchi, Sullivans).

Not into the bar scene so can't help you out, but as a former college student stay away from Guadalupe/West campus as the bars are filled with fraternity guys. Phone Post 3.0

HernanCortes -
MindBottling - Fuck the traffic there! Phone Post 3.0
Austin resident here.

Yes traffic is horrible, but I always mention that for people moving here. Just be cautious OP. I'm sure you're familiar as you have been to the city before, but lately the traffic is out of control.

For food places I'll start you off with the basics (that you probably already know)

Burgers: Hopdoddys
Pizza: home slice
Bar b q: salt lick
Mexican food: chuys is good as mentioned, but there are some in San Antonio so it's not quite the unique Austin type. I would recommend this food truck near Lamar, but I forgot it's name lol. I'll let you know when I find out.
Donuts: Gourdoughs

Cafe casual: 24 diner

Steak: Sullivans
Oriental (Uchi, one of the best restaurants in Austin)

Yes my answer are cliche, but whenever my friends come down, they always want to go to these aside from the expensive places mentioned (Uchi, Sullivans).

Not into the bar scene so can't help you out, but as a former college student stay away from Guadalupe/West campus as the bars are filled with fraternity guys. Phone Post 3.0
Crowbar is pretty cool actually. It's off South Congress and has a hole in the wall feel, but lately it's been super crowded because of its popularity. The decor is pretty unique though. Probably one of my favorite bars in Austin. I saw Charlie Strong there a couple months ago. Dude looks like a bodybuilder lol. Phone Post 3.0

If you move here get a bike, dude. And use it.

We have rush hour!

On Saturdays!!

At 7pm!!! Phone Post 3.0

slo ko - If you move here get a bike, dude. And use it.

We have rush hour!

On Saturdays!!

At 7pm!!! Phone Post 3.0
Don't forget lunch rush hour! Lol not joking either, especially if you're near downtown.

Regular weekday traffic hours:

630-900AM

12-1:45 PM

2:30-630PM (worse time is 3-6).

Saturday I35 is usually backed up both ways all day long except before lunch. Phone Post 3.0

This is the unfortunate truth. I live in south Austin and have to drive to the Georgetown area several times a week for work. It is a painful annoying commute.

OP - sloko and hernan gave sole good rec's, listen to them.

You could also go to Barton Springs to check out some tittays. Phone Post 3.0

*some Phone Post 3.0

HernanCortes -
slo ko - If you move here get a bike, dude. And use it.

We have rush hour!

On Saturdays!!

At 7pm!!! Phone Post 3.0
Don't forget lunch rush hour! Lol not joking either, especially if you're near downtown.

Regular weekday traffic hours:

630-900AM

12-1:45 PM

2:30-630PM (worse time is 3-6).

Saturday I35 is usually backed up both ways all day long except before lunch. Phone Post 3.0
Yep. Eff I-35 on a Saturday. I avoid at all costs.

Any given day coming down from North Austin I hit the 15th street MLK high-low split and there may as well be a stop light there.

It might take me 70 more minutes to get to Woodland Ave. Phone Post 3.0

I like little woodrows for beers, trudys on stassney for mexican martinis. Phone Post 3.0