Moving to London, needs some help

To my fellow UGers in the UK, I'll be moving to London next month to start grad school at UCL and need some help with the move with regards to finding decent living accommodations. I've done a lot of research already but would like some advice from real people actually living there as I've run into a lot of scams and questionable agencies. If you can help please send me a PM. Thanks

TheRealRobinHood - Finding an apartment is real tricky in London. You are also left it late considering tens of thousands of students have secured their accommodation a good few months ago.

I would try and find a flat share. This gets you to meet new people. London can be a pretty lonely place.

UCL should be able to direct you to approved agencies. Phone Post
That's surprising. I visited for a week earlier this summer and made quite a few friends. Phone Post 3.0

where are you originally from? lived in greater london for most my life and now live in southampton

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/ is quite good I think :)

IN. Similar situation here. Sorry to hijack thread OP but also wanted to ask if people could mention decent places to train in London. Phone Post 3.0

Elliot91,

Is the site you mentioned fairly safe to use? I'm currently in the States and it is very difficult for me to assess some of these offers with the large number of scams.

eaw321 - Elliot91,

Is the site you mentioned fairly safe to use? I'm currently in the States and it is very difficult for me to assess some of these offers with the large number of scams.

It puts you in contact with people with rooms to rent so shouldnt be any risk of being scammed - would most likely have to go and view the property and meet the people before any money was spoken about

ttt

thefightphysician - IN. Similar situation here. Sorry to hijack thread OP but also wanted to ask if people could mention decent places to train in London. Phone Post 3.0

Very much depends where you're going to be located in London, but there's some really good gyms. Team Titan and London Shoot are the frontrunners but there's plenty of good training to be had. 

I'm a UCL graduate, loved the place you will have a great time in London.

I would suggest checking with their accommodation people to see if there is any availability and there are waiting lists etc.

I would also check things like gumtree and see what you can find in certain areas. It all depends on your budget.

Check areas like Euston and Camden where you may find reasonable value. Areas like Baker Street, Maida Vale or Paddington will have availability but will be more expensive.

Best of luck, it can be daunting. Worst case scenario just go with reputable estate agents in London which will have a slight premium but additional security. (your university accommodation office should help with giving you names, it is essential to check with them)

Its London so expect something small. London is expensive and cramped so accomadation is over priced. 

I recommend

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

http://www.gumtree.com/london

Dont waste your time with anything else unless you are looking at buying or somthing.

Get something close to where you will be spending most of your time. Otherwise the commute will piss you off and cost you an arm and a leg. (Its £140 a month just for zones 1 & 2). 

If you want a big house/room you need to move further out so will have to pay more for transport. If you want a big house/room the best thing to do is organise with friends first and move in together or find a hose share on the sites above.

The cheapest way to live in London comfortably is as a couple so pulling a girl at the airport is a good idea.

Training - Like Fight! UK Online said - plenty of places. For MMA have a look at his recommendations. Gymbox also offer MMA although its not specifically for that one of the instructors is a 4 time UFC Vet.

If you want BJJ then there is also Roger Gracie etc.

If you are in East London (which used to be cheap) then Fight Factory are pretty good - nice big gym with excellent BJJ instructors (many BB's from Brazil come and stay) and also Muay Thai and MMA (I believe they have a cage). 

And yes - London can be a very lonely city. As a student not so much. Its a big ass city with drinking culture so if you don't drink its not so easy to meet people 

Gentlemen, thanks for your suggestions. Are either of you familiar with uniplaces.com

Congrats on UCL, top quality institution. The best step forward is gum tree orspare room.co.uk. There are so very dodgy landlords so be careful.

Area wise, Camden is a good spot in north London, good pubs etc. I used to live in Holland Park, great connections for central line. I liked the good connections to aread but the quieter life when home.

I recommend house or flat sharing. I used to rent my own 1 bed flat and that cost me 3500 a month. Not fun. Phone Post 3.0

I've also used spareroom quite a few times to find places. Perhaps best to stay in a hotel for a week and arrange to view some places when you arrive.

Have a look at the ULU housing people too - http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

I would disagree with some of the above about commuting - you can live quite far away in London and still have a short commute and it's not too expensive.

FYI I once used the toilets in UCL and someone had done a shit on the closed toilet lid.

Bispingpongbuttlicker - Thanks for the input. I may have a decent reservation set up through uniplaces.com but am somewhat apprehensive about them. I will likely do what you are suggesting and stay at a hostel for a few days while trying to find something. I've checked out spareroom and have seen some good options I'd like to check out.

Don't expect a great deal as someone mentioned earlier. You don't get a lot of bang for your buck there. Best value I ever saw was some of my friends rented out a floor on an unused old school building (there's a few about - it's somewhat legal, a level above squatting). Was a really nice place near the centre and awesome value for London, but you have to be ready to be kicked out on little notice.

Can't remember the name of it, but it was a company that did stuff like that and they've had a few decent places with the same ones since. They did have a tramp living in their stairwell that tried to petrolbomb them though. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Gilbosh - Congrats on UCL, top quality institution. The best step forward is gum tree orspare room.co.uk. There are so very dodgy landlords so be careful.

Area wise, Camden is a good spot in north London, good pubs etc. I used to live in Holland Park, great connections for central line. I liked the good connections to aread but the quieter life when home.

I recommend house or flat sharing. I used to rent my own 1 bed flat and that cost me 3500 a month. Not fun. Phone Post 3.0

You wealthy mofo! As it goes - Holland Park is a beautiful part of London. You can still find cheapeish rent in and around the area if you are only looking to rent a room

Gumtree etc are a good bet for finding flat shares do be careful of scammers!

Things most FAST in the London rental market so don't worry about having left it late. If you find a nice room with good people in a good area expect that they will be interviewing a lot of people who want to move in, so try and make a good impression Phone Post 3.0

Yeah - never transfer money upfront without seeing the room and signing the contract

Luiz Tosta (A Cage Rage vet who was high ranking UK Brazilian and fought my team mate for UCMMA belt) has a BJJ school - I think he still does at SOAS (Uni near you). He teaches BJJ at London Shoot I think. Anyhow - you can't go wrong with his instruction either

http://londonshootfighters.com/team/luiz-tosta/

Nice guy - I am sure he still runs that small club there

Bispingpongbuttlicker - I've also used spareroom quite a few times to find places. Perhaps best to stay in a hotel for a week and arrange to view some places when you arrive.

Have a look at the ULU housing people too - http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

I would disagree with some of the above about commuting - you can live quite far away in London and still have a short commute and it's not too expensive.

FYI I once used the toilets in UCL and someone had done a shit on the closed toilet lid.
Voted up just for the last line Phone Post 3.0

OP I am jealous as hell. I went to school in London for two years and it was the best time of my life.

I lived with 8 other Americans and we managed to get a gorgeous flat right next to covent garden. Getting roommates is definitely the way to go if you want a nice place in a nice area.

Good luck with the move. Phone Post 3.0