Moving to Vancouver

Just got a job in Vancouver so im moving there for June 1st. Any OG'ers in the area with advice on where to go and what to see?

Where are you moving from, and which area of the city are you moving to?

Moving from Ontario, and Im going to be working on Burrard Street downtown

Ill be staying with a buddy in New Westminster until I can find my own apartment

Bring money.  

Lived and worked here all my life. Real estate and rentals are nuts in the city. Get familiar with the skytrain and west coast express. 

How nice is your mountain bike?

Canada_88 - Ill be staying with a buddy in New Westminster until I can find my own apartment
Good luck with that, some of the most expensive housing in Canada. Hopefully your buddy doesn't mind you staying for a few years

Beautiful city. Live close by. Housing is retarded I hope you'll be making at least 200k a year 

i work on burrard too, we will be work neighbors

its a great city to visit but living here is a grind IMO. im a small towner though so it may be more your speed

Holisexxx -

Bring money.  

The biggets expense in Vancity is the housing.  Everything else is managable and the money you can make help offset this.  If you adjust your expectations about a house to a condo or smaller apparently you can find some nice stuff near English Bay.  Its a little older but being walking distance to everything is nice.  With two kids I don't know if I could do it as we've fallen in love with our backyard but I have friends who make it work.

Food scene is pretty slick, you're close to the water, the weather is great (outside of the 3 months of rain), lots of live music (U2 rehearsed and kicked off their new tour there) and there is a super strong BJJ scene.  Plus you're close to Seattle and Portland for vacations.  

Housing prices are stupid (like seriously stupid) and not likely to come down anytime soon.  You'll be hearing from people 'oh the bubble will burst soon...' but between the boomers retiring and moving west, foreign money coming in and tech being strong - the prices will stay high.  That said you can find places to live but they won't be the massive places you've come to expect.  Think Toronto housing market or even Calgary to a point.  

All said, I kind of wish the wife and I had pulled the trigger on moving out when we had our first kid (had a job opportunity).  I have spent a massive amount of time in that city and really enjoy it and will probably retire out there or very close to there.

Have lived here for 37 years brother. Fire away! 

Been a real state agent and a mortgage broker for 13 years as well if you have questions on pricing, logistics or mortgage rates. 

Dom

Surrey is your friend

RJJH -

get a nice basement suite in Whalley....

and a gun.

Why you wanna mess with him?  He should be looking in nicer neighbourhoods like Cloverdale.  

Don't ruin the guy's trip man.

The place is chinked out.
Go Canucks!!

don't buy real estate

Wanderpage - don't buy real estate

Uhhh, you get a piece of Vancouver real estate it's just going to appreciate every year till you die. Even in Walley or East Van. They aren't making any more land.

3 months of rain? More like 5-6 months!

Gojjira -
Canada_88 - Ill be staying with a buddy in New Westminster until I can find my own apartment
Good luck with that, some of the most expensive housing in Canada. Hopefully your buddy doesn't mind you staying for a few years
Exactly why I live in Chilliwack