Mrs broke knee, cant work 3 mo w/promotion pending

so my wife shattered her tibial plateau yesterday skiing.  from what i've read, it can take up to 3 months to bear weight on it and 6 months for a full recovery.  her job requires mobility, administration of CPR and at times lifting "heavy objects".   She tried to work with a cane and a broken toe once and they sent her home for 2 weeks.  normally, it wouldn't be a big deal as she has S/LTD, tons of vacation and sick time. 

what is a concern however, is she's been interviewing for a NEWLY CREATED management position and it's come down to her and one other external candidate.  i know many of the people she works with and she is a very well liked and respected person in her place of work.  the hiring manager really likes her too.  the decision and announcement was supposed to come today but we haven't heard anything.

question:  what are the odds this injury effects the hiring manager's decision.  i'm pretty sure it's illegal to discriminate based on this (although, not really sure) but if they had decided on her, would this change their mind?  3-6 months is a long time, but they've survived without the postion up to now.

Get your own job?

Al Cappucino -

Get your own job?

fuck that.  i spent a lot of time finding a woman to support me. 

EFM -
Al Cappucino -

Get your own job?

fuck that.  i spent a lot of time finding a woman to support me. 

Lol!

We Are All One Mean Species - Did you know that CPR only works 2% of the time? And you arent suppose to blow mouth to mouth nearly as much, just thump the chest. Lots have changed since my boy scout days.

Define works... CPR is not meant to resuscitate a person, youre just manually pumping the blood when the heart isn't able to so the body is still getting oxygen. This is done usually prior to and/or during resuscitation methods. 

CPR is really effective considering how simple and cost effective it is to perform and how much it increases chances of survival over not performing CPR.

Any company would be idiotic if they make a long term human resourcing decision based on a short term injury.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -

Any company would be idiotic if they make a long term human resourcing decision based on a short term injury.

that's exactly what i thought, but she's really nervous about it.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard:

"They wouldn't do that, it would be insane!"

"Holy shit they did it..."

If they need someone now, they need someone now.

Wife might be shit out of luck.

Did they Intramedullary rod/nail to fix it or was it not a compound fracture? I had surgery for similar injury October 28th and it definitely can be a slow process depending the nature of the injury. 

Nancy kerrigan the other lady so it's a fair fight.

Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

There are a lot of idiotic companies out there...

jasperb -

Did they Intramedullary rod/nail to fix it or was it not a compound fracture? I had surgery for similar injury October 28th and it definitely can be a slow process depending the nature of the injury. 

we haven't been to the ortho yet.  seeing him tomorrow morning.  ER took xrays and a CT, gave her a knee isolation brace, crutches and an Rx.  ortho doc will deal with that.  the PA said there's likely more damage that will come out in the MRI.

Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

is it legal to make a decision based on her injury?  i realize there are probably ways around it, but could they make that decision legally?

EFM -
Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

is it legal to make a decision based on her injury?  i realize there are probably ways around it, but could they make that decision legally?

I mean why wouldnt it be legal?

If shes gonna be gone for 6 months why should they hold up the position for her? She got hurt on her free time not at work.

I dont mean to be a dick and i honestly hope she still gets it. But if it were my business snd i had two ewually qualified people going for a job with one being able to start next week and the other not being able to start for six months i would chose the person that can start right away.

Now if it is deemed illegal they would easily be able to get away with it if the other person is qualified as theres no way to prove that its based on your wifes injury.

Ive known people who lost their jobs due to injury that occured outside of work and they had no legal course so i dont see how this would be illegal but im no lawyer.

fade2007 -
EFM -
Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

If shes gonna be gone for 6 months why should they hold up the position for her? She got hurt on her free time not at work.

I dont mean to be a dick and i honestly hope she still gets it. But if it were my business snd i had two ewually qualified people going for a job with one being able to start next week and the other not being able to start for six months i would chose the person that can start right away.

Now if it is deemed illegal they would easily be able to get away with it if the other person is qualified as theres no way to prove that its based on your wifes injury.

Ive known people who lost their jobs due to injury that occured outside of work and they had no legal course so i dont see how this would be illegal but im no lawyer.

i don't know, that's why i asked.  there are lots of laws that don't make sense and lots of things that are legal that shouldn't be IMO.

I don't think you have to worry about the promotion anymore 

EFM -
fade2007 -
EFM -
Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

i don't know, that's why i asked.  there are lots of laws that don't make sense and lots of things that are legal that shouldn't be IMO.

True but honestly i dont think if she doesnt get it there would be any sort of legal action she could take.

The thing that automatically sticks out to me is that she was hurt doing something non work related. 

But best of luck and even if she doesnt get it i hope she recovers quickly.

EFM -
fade2007 -
EFM -
Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

I would assume if they already offered it to her they might not be able to take it away for an injury but if she hasn't received it yet they can offer it to anyone they want

CloudStrife -
EFM -
fade2007 -
EFM -
Zned -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

I would assume if they already offered it to her they might not be able to take it away for an injury but if she hasn't received it yet they can offer it to anyone they want

Even if they offered her it with the assumption shed start the next week? Not to be shitty but six months is a long time to hold a position for someone who got hurt off the job.

Now would she able to do said job while hurt? Like is it a desk job?