MT in the street

How would you use your MT differently in the street? I mean MT techniques, not "I would kick to the groin and do a takedown and choke him out"

If you stuck to MT techniques only.

Maybe...less combos, go straight for the knock out? Right roundhouses and crosses and hooks mainly? no jabs...?

Thanks

-Tony

A jab with bare knuckles in the face will take the steam out of alot of guys on the street, and make those hooks and crosses land easier too.

If I were faced with a street defense situation, I would stick with the skill sets I'm most comfortable with. Boxing and Knees (and Elbows, to an extent).

I have never been that great of a kicker. I mean, sure, I have a powerful kick, but I've never felt entirely comfortable using it even in the ring. I'll be DAMNED if I'd use it on the street. LOL

I would Box a little bit and look for the clinch so that I can devastate my opponent with knee strikes. That was always my area of specialty, so why do anything else?

My advice for someone wanting to do some training for street effective Muay Thai would be to take a couple of Muay Thai skills sets that you REALLY excel at, and then practice them in self defense scenarios.

For instance, your best Muay Thai technique may be your Round Kick. So practice using it in self defense situations. For instance, practice kicking with Jeans and Shoes, or breaking away from someone who is trying to grab you and kicking them.

Khun Kao

i would use the jab to get into their face so they couldnt see what was coming. Then throw an overhand right or uppercut. I found that elbows mostly cut and not many kos are recieved via elbow. Knees will ko i have found out. Dont feel good at all. hope this helps. If not just blow me off.

MT in the street...

just use what you are comfortable with.

don't use high kicks, just aim for the knees

use the jab, uppercut, and left hook, untrained fighters and notoriously known for leaving there chin up, so use that to your advantage

Elbows are you best friend, elbows in Bando are used like HAMMERS instead of BLADES

cuting with elbows is a intentional thing used in sports to cause cuts and get stoppages

Work the knees in the clinch, knees scare the hell out of people

go to the stomack, ribs, groin, then head in that order

and after that toss them on the ground and stomp the shit out of em

~(K@o$)~

Cool.

I was just wondering what the difference between MT in the ring would be from the street.

I figure most combos that would work in the ring, would probably work in the street, and vice versa.

this is a broad and vague question. it's hard to predict what you will find on the street. you do not know if your opponent is armed or not. you do not know if he has friends or not. etc. etc. etc.

some street fights you do not choose, they choose you. when it comes to self defense and the street, awareness is key. if you are aware of your environment, you probably can avoid the streetfight.

some things to consider:

you have a powerful kick in the ring/training/consensual sparring, you don't know if the guy in the street who's trying to start a fight with you has a knife or not (or any weapon). let's say he does, you go for your powerful kick and may get knifed in the leg. what then?

as winter is upon us (esp. here in nyc), there will be environmental factors to consider. everyone has heard about kickers not being able to do their kicks because there is ice on the ground. well, there it is. you have a powerful kick, but it's icy. you will slip and fall possibly. what do you do then?

there are many factors that may be outside of your control in a streetfight. first thing would be awareness. 2nd paraphrasing (or exact quote, i forget) tony blauer, "those that talk, can be persuaded to walk".

plenty more to consider. i will stop here.

sorry, my post may not be strictly kickboxing/MT, but it does have some points for consideration for street/self defense.

just would be a shame for someone to think they are kicka$$ in MT/kickboxing and fighting on the street is the same as fighting in ring/training.

"just would be a shame for someone to think they are kicka$$ in MT/kickboxing and fighting on the street is the same as fighting in ring/training. "

Thats the point of my post. To figure out the difference between MT in the ring and in the street.

I was hoping to get people to say things like "I would use this in the ring, but not in the street because..."

=)

I have found that on the street people will get right in my striking area and an elbow works great. or if you have learned how to throw a good right. And I mean really know how to throw it. Start with weight on back foot then as you move it to the front foot, you lead with your shoulder and whip it out there and turn it over....real power.

Knee in the nads. Game over.

Just be carefull not to stand too straight up in the clinch, keep your hips back like Silva does. Some Muay Thai people will have a habit of remaining upright in a clinch, and this can get you tackled/slammed.

"Knee in the nads. Game over."

In theory, yes. In application, not so often as you'd think!

Case in point, one time I confronted by a big guy over something stupid and because he was drunk, I wasn't able to reason with him. I knew the way things were going it was going to get physical so I decided to try a pre-emptive strike. I threw a knee to the groin to incapacitate him but all it did was piss him off and then it was ON! We fought on the street corner and it went to the ground. He was really strong and was holding me down so I slammed him into a nearby mail box. We were separated afterward by someone else and actually went to a bar together later that night! He did get into another fight though on the way to the bar...

In another incident, I got into a fight with another big guy and while we were clinched he managed to knee me square in the groin. The pain was excruciating but rather than drop me, it filled me with tons of adrenaline and forced me to take the fight to the next level. I was able to step on his ankle and push him over, taking him down (a silat move I learned). Surprisingly, it didn't break his ankle but it did sprain it pretty badly. He was pretty cooperative after that, which was good because once the fight was over I was in so much pain I could barely think straight for several minutes (AFTER the fight).

I have numerous other stories I could recount but I'm sure you get the point. Knee to groin is a good move if you can do it, but don't rely on it to end the fight. Don't rely on anything to end the fight actually, unless you decapitate him... If he's still fighting after decapitation, RUN!!!

Lautaro

lautaro, are you an exponent of Judo-Ki or joesondo :)

Naughty Gorilla: LOL! No, nothing like that. Many people have mistakenly said I don't feel pain, but the truth is I simply have a high pain threshold and use my mind to endure punishment when I have to.

As for the question to this thread, the only thing that I might change about my MT on the street is to be wary of takedowns, weapons and multiple opponents. That's about it. I'm very aggressive when I fight MT and I do the same on the street, attacking relentlessly with punches, kicks, knees, headbutts (not exactly MT), elbows and clinching. I'm a striker by nature and would never go to the ground intentionally on the street.

Lautaro

iN THE STREET THE SURPRISE IS A LOT, AND WITH THE PUNCHES OF THAI , AND OF COURSE THE ELBOWS AND KNEES AND MAY BE A HEADBUTT IN THE CLINCH I THINK YOU HAVE THE BEST CHANCE.

AND OF COURSE IF YOUR OPONENT IS BIGGER OR THERE ARE ALOT IS BETTER OPTION RUN LIKE FOREST.

sidekick->kneecap.

"just yeah like people said dont stand hell upright in the clinch..thats is mainly for defence anyway in MT "

Can you explain this a bit more. Im not too familiar with knee defense. So in the ring you stand straight, so its harder to get hit by an upward knee?

Too easy to miss a sidekick if the adrenaline is going, IMO.

I prefer elbows and headbutts personally, along with some standup grappling/locks/throws.

In a real fight, mobility is key, you always have to remember that MOST guys won't fight unless they have friends with them and when you start kicking a guy's ass his friends will often jump in too.

I usually teach my students a few "street smart" techniques, the first of which is focusing on non-threatening body language, descalation,etc. (Thanks Tony and Geoff!). If things advance beyond that point there are really only a few things you need to be able to do well.

For instance, most fights I've seen/been in start with pushing, etc. If your hands are up it is VERY easy to get inside control in the clich in this situation.

Also, about 90% of the time the guy will grab you with their left hand and try to throw bombs with their right--so all you have to do is push down on the crook of his left elbow, step forward and upward elbow.

The best part is even if you fuck up you have still covered your head and can work the clinch. If you connect you new friend will likely KO themselves and it looks like an accident...so when the cops come you will have witnesses tesitfying that you were just trying to avoid getting hit.

:)

TheAdonis, If I didn't know better, I'd say that happened at Indiana University on Kirkwood Ave. Am I right?

JKD guy,

Yeah, in a Muay Thai match both participants will stand straight so as not to get there heads pulled down into a knee or bent over for a soild one in the guts. If your bent and the other guys standing up straight with a neck clinch, and as in Muay Thai rules you cant double leg and slam him, he is going to knee the hell out of your face. On the street however, nobody knows how to clinch and knee, though most people understand the plow you over if you stand up straight and hit them technique. Theres more to knee defense than that in the Thai clinch, but standing straight up is a big part of it, and is one of the few flaws in using Muay Thai in the streets.

A good practice drill for the clinch for self defense, have a partner gear up with face saver headgear and one of those belly protectors and gloves, you just wear some MMA gloves or none at all. Have him try and punch, headbut and slam you, but not use Muay Thai knees. You use Muay Thai knees and elbows from the clinch as he tries to slam punch and headbutt you, and if he does knock you over dont stop the drill, get back to standing with him attacking you and continue. This will teach you to deal with the average persons techs when your in the clinch, and the prospect of someone trying to take you down while clinching and kneeing

Or you could just learn some San Da :)

PS, strike hard but not to hurt the other person, even with a belly guard a properly deliverd knee can crack ribs, and go light on the head.

Jake