mtDNA...Smart people, explain?

I'm white, but my mtDNA indicated that I am part of Haplogroup C. Does this mean my ancestors are definitely Native American? I had read that the presence of Haplogroup C is exceedingly rare in most Europeans or rather Caucasians as a whole.

...Can someone explain?

It means you're infected with muggle blood and will be purged accordingly.

Lord Nitemare - 

I'm white, but my mtDNA indicated that I am part of Haplogroup C. Does this mean my ancestors are definitely Native American? I had read that the presence of Haplogroup C is exceedingly rare in most Europeans or rather Caucasians as a whole.

...Can someone explain?

It's not that simple. Discussing this topic is like discussing the history of MMA. The answer is it depends on how far back you want to go. Was it the Gracies or the Greeks or Egyptians?

Especially when you start talking about Haplogroups A,B,C, D and X. Outside of X, all trace their origins primarily to Central Asia, but some of C shows up in India. So the short answer is YES. You have Amerindian DNA.

Hard to give you more unless you further refine the haplogroup and tell us what country you and your family are from.

ausgepicht -
Lord Nitemare - 

...Can someone explain?

It's not that simple. Discussing this topic is like discussing the history of MMA. The answer is it depends on how far back you want to go. Was it the Gracies or the Greeks or Egyptians?

Especially when you start talking about Haplogroups A,B,C, D and X. Outside of X, all trace their origins primarily to Central Asia, but some of C shows up in India. So the short answer is YES. You have Amerindian DNA.

Hard to give you more unless you further refine the haplogroup and tell us what country you and your family are from.

Wow!

I don't think I've ever seen you post something useful before.

VU. Phone Post 3.0

ausgepicht - 
Lord Nitemare - 

...Can someone explain?

Ok, I'll try to explain as best as I can. In regards to my genetic markers, for HVRI - it is 16327T and for HVR2 - it is 249delA. In regards to my background, my Mother is Russian...but then again, I have always had my doubts - there is a large possibility that I was adopted. All I know is that Haplogroup C is present in many Native Americans and it is exceedingly rare in Caucasians. I read that the only Caucasians that have Haplogroup C are actually some Nordic people, who descend from Vikings (the reason being, when they discovered the Americas they brought back Native women to be their wives). This is a possibility, I am pale, blonde, and I have a red beard. Again a possibility.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, and I'm going to be honest, I'm not well versed in the subject at all. If you could go into detail - I'll suck yo dick...in all seriousness, I'll vote you up for a month. Trying to read some of this shit on the interwebz, well, it's like trying to read high Norse. I need an OGer to explain it to me. 

Voted up btw

Bump for answers

This link says haplogroup C is common in east eurasia

http://racehist.blogspot.com/2011/09/haplogroup-c-mtdna-in-caucasoids-does.html

R1b representin' Phone Post 3.0

MickColins - R1b representin' Phone Post 3.0

What's your heritage? In other words, were your ancestors Celts, Germanic Hordesmen, Vikings, etc, etc.

ive been fooled all along, I thought I was Nordic or some shit (completely plausible provided my hypothetical ancestor was "down for brown)) turns out I'm just a white dude who's ancestors happened to be brown.

r1b is atlantic coast from the Basque area of Spain to Ireland/Wales/Scotland. My brother and I did a DNA test after he had his first kid because we never knew what my Dad was. He was always sketchy about it. My mom thought he was German. Turns out he was a bunch of groups.

Lord Nitemare - 
MickColins - R1b representin' Phone Post 3.0

What's your heritage? In other words, were your ancestors Celts, Germanic Hordesmen, Vikings, etc, etc.

ive been fooled all along, I thought I was Nordic or some shit (completely plausible provided my hypothetical ancestor was "down for brown)) turns out I'm just a white dude who's ancestors happened to be brown.

Since mtdna is your maternal lineage, then all it means is that your greatxxxx grandmother came out of eurasia tens of 1000's of years ago. Your maternal ancestors probably belonged to many different tribes/ethnicities along the way.

What is your y-dna haplogroup?

I am Y haplogroup I1 - Saxon/Nordic

I am Mtdna haplogoup X - a very diverse, low percentage group.

^Ill get back to you in a minute, but quick question, how rare is it to see a Caucasian be part of Haplogroup C? Thanks.

I would say pretty rare, but still very consistent with your mother coming from Russia. It appears that Kazaks, Uzbeks, and similar tribes all have a significant % of C.

Ruh roh!!!!

Zombie dna! Phone Post 3.0

pastmyprime - I would say pretty rare, but still very consistent with your mother coming from Russia. It appears that Kazaks, Uzbeks, and similar tribes all have a significant % of C.

Yeah, maybe - but I don't have any mongoloid features whatsoever. My hair is blonde as fuck, blue eyes and Ive got a hefty red beard (should I not shave)...for what it's worth, I have that Native American pigeon toe thing going on. So maybe my ancestor liked Nordic dick - I don't know.

then again, I could just be adopted and my mother was Mexican or some shit. Eh, this shit is confusing. Can Ausephight go into detail, he said he would.

Bu,p

Ugh, any answers?

mtDNA only reveals one out of countless female ancestors from which you are descended.

mtDNA, or mitochondrial DNA is essentially transmitted from women to children in an unbroken lineage. So basically, your mtDNA haplogroup reveals the haplogroup of your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's .... etc. mtDNA. Other than that, it is not very informative of ancestry.

Just think about it. Unless there are consanguinous marriages in your family, you have 4 great-grandparents who are female. Only one of them had your mtDNA. 

If you go back 1 generation, you had 8 great-great-grandparents who are female. Again, your mtDNA comes from only one of your 8 female great-great-grandparents.

2 generations, 16 female great-great-great grandparents. Only one of them produced your mtDNA.

Etc.

Repeat this process enough times and you will see how mtDNA assorts independently from the rest of your genome. Odds are, if you look in the mirror, and see a caucasian face, you are probably white. Doesn't matter where your mtDNA comes from

Often the two are correlated, but discordant outcomes are highly unusual. Neither mtDNA nor Y chromosomes respect ethnic boundaries. 

Theoretically, it is entirely possible for you to be 99.9% black, yet have a Y-haplotype that has its highest frequency in northern Europe. 

People are so confused about this that it shocks me. Your Y and mtDNA haplogroups, alone, tell you absolutely nothing about your ancestry.

A few years back I remember that lesbian comedienne Margaret Cho doing a DNA test on PBS, and it turns out both her mtDNA and Y haplogroups came from China. People erroneously concluded from this that she was 100% Chinese.

Umm, no. If she is Korean, odds are likely that she has no Chinese ancestors within the past 8 generations or so. That would give her a sliver of Han Chinese ancestry, at best.

There are white Ukrainians who have Genghis Khan's Y chromsome, but that hardly means they are asian.