MTV turns 40 years old this year

And rod stewart was 5 of the first 51 videos aired as a random fact.  

Who here remembers the hype and debut of it?  I know it had a rough go at first as many cable companies and markets didn’t pick it up .   I don’t think it aired in my city for first year or so but I remember watching the opening day or so at my grandparents who got it a town away.

I was pretty shocked to see In the Air tonight was aired on first day.  I don’t remember that song being out that early, I would have said late 80’s.   The Cars “you might think” was the first video that blew my mind with graphics and editing.  That was the damn matrix of music vids

lemme see if Martha Quinn  is still bangable..... brb...

I was absolutely addicted to it. sat on the floor and watched it on a click knob tv. lol. 

video killed the radio star. The Buggles. 

1 Like

https://youtu.be/6jcdwiV6dXw

John Cable -

I was absolutely addicted to it. sat on the floor and watched it on a click knob tv. lol. 

video killed the radio star. The Buggles. 

Yup, what irony.   Weird to see Iron Maiden was one of the first vids played 

![](upload://eosNll7bt5dZoKwbIdWMKRsBdGW.jpeg)

Martha 61 now and not sure when this pic was but I’d give it to her 24 hours a day in stereo

1 Like

I remember when MTV first took off showing the Apollo rocket.  The first video was:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r-tXRLazs

I Was born in 82 but the 80s have always fascinated me. I knew the Buggles were the first video ever shown on MTV but its cool to see it put together like that. Thanks for sharing.

Gritty - 

![](upload://eosNll7bt5dZoKwbIdWMKRsBdGW.jpeg)

Martha 61 now and not sure when this pic was but I’d give it to her 24 hours a day in stereo

Rock of ages movie poster in the back. Should be 2012. 8 years ago.

I started touring with my rock band in 1981. Every bar we played had MTV playing in between sets all night long. 

So it was good for about 15 of those 40 years? Fuck that sucks. 

1 Like

And just like me, it was all down hill after about 23…

1 Like

It was the background channel for college. And required watching when Beavis and Butthead was on. And we watched the real world to see people whining, like all trainwreck tv now.  My buddy was super into My So-Called Life. 

1 Like

The last show I cared about was jackass. 

MTV Died 20 years ago.

1 Like

I lost interest when that bitch hit 18.

Too bad now it's just another cancer like all social media.

I watched MTV every day from like 93 to 99. It was an addiction. I don't really remember watching it in the 80's because I was too young and /or  my family didn't have cable.

I had huge crushes on Kennedy and Duff, and I would jack to that show "The Grind." 

I loved Alternative Nation, 120 Minutes, and Headbanger's Ball, too, but I didn't jack to those (usually). 

I grew up in a rural hellhole, where cable didn’t exist & only a handful of rich kids had satellite. So I knew of it as a popular news story, but didn’t actually see it until much later. Maybe '83 before I saw it & I guess 85 before it was in my household.

Papa Don’t Preach & Walk Like An Egyptian were the first videos I remember, uh, having rewind burn on them.

Headbanger’s Ball was sacred in the 80s/90s to Heavy Metal fans. Many heavy bands, Metallica included, were not played on the radio so that was one of the only places to hear new Metal.

1 Like