muay thai vs.taekwondo,karate,kung

IM WONDERING HOW ALL OF YOU FEEL IN RESPECT TO THESE STYLES WHO THEY WOULD FARE AGAINST EACH OTHER....I MEAN LIKE ALL THE TRADITIONAL STRAIGHT LINE STYLES OF KARATE AND KUNG-FU AND TAEKWONDO EVEN AIKIDO VS. AGAINST MUAY THAI....JUST CHECKING TO SEE ALL YOUR OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS THANX

i have friends who are black belts in karate and taekwando. when we spar i win. Me myself im a thai boxer. Dont know about aikido

A guy with 6 months of Muay thai will beat a guy with 6 months of Karate, aikido, kung-fu, etc..

It's called "China vs the world" and it has pitted San Da against Muay Thai, boxing, kickboxing, karate, TKD etc... look it up at www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda

i think it all depends on the fighter and the way they train.

unless it's against San Da guys apparently :)

"if you take to equal fighters w/ same physical capabilities,heart, and quality of training, muay thai wins always."

Where did you find a fighter w/ same physical capabilities,heart, and quality? Sounds like the statment is more subjective then objective.

Muay Thai is known to produce a more capable fighter more quickly because the other styles generally don't train for fighting. Sounds strange doesn't it?

I have yet to see a karate school have full contact practice every class..and kata and so on are reputed to be good training tools..they're documented to teach you to handle any situation. However, picture a boxer who's never sparred in his life. Do you think he could get in the ring and stand up against someone who has?

I am checking out that website for San Da right now, but here's a link that shows an interesting match with a Muay Thai fighter against an experienced tae kwon do fighter. The site is mcdojo.com and the link to there you can view this file is at:

http://www.bullshido.us/dl_showall.asp?cat_id=57&parent_id=14&parent_name=Videos&sub_name=Style+vs%2E+Style

If the link doesn't work..just go to the Downloads section..then the Style vs. Style link.

As for karate vs. tae kwon do...I don't even know..I think probably the TKD fighter will win because they generally train harder (more jumping..more cardio work), but the techniques employed in the style depend on the fighter.

All in all, it always depends on the righter's personal development, not the style as much.

Muay Thai is known to produce a more capable fighter more quickly because the other styles generally don't train for fighting. Sounds strange doesn't it?

I have yet to see a karate school have full contact practice every class..and kata and so on are reputed to be good training tools..they're documented to teach you to handle any situation. However, picture a boxer who's never sparred in his life. Do you think he could get in the ring and stand up against someone who has?

I am checking out that website for San Da right now, but here's a link that shows an interesting match with a Muay Thai fighter against an experienced tae kwon do fighter. The site is mcdojo.com and the link to there you can view this file is at:

http://www.bullshido.us/dl_showall.asp?cat_id=57&parent_id=14&parent_name=Videos&sub_name=Style+vs%2E+Style

If the link doesn't work..just go to the Downloads section..then the Style vs. Style link.

As for karate vs. tae kwon do...I don't even know..I think probably the TKD fighter will win because they generally train harder (more jumping..more cardio work), but the techniques employed in the style depend on the fighter.

All in all, it always depends on the righter's personal development, not the style as much.

Oh and I forgot to mention..I've been in some muay thai (not much)..aikido, 2 forms of karate, and 2 forms of kung fu (both wing chun based)..not all of them for very long but long enough to have an idea about them.

Aikido is good in concept, but you would have to be an aikido master (literally) to have much chance against a good muay thai fighter. In my aikdio traing, yes you learn some great skills in certain things..but what does an Aikido guy do against a well conditioned thai fighter? It's like a guy who does only Judo, fighting someone in boxing, without gloves. One successful punch from the boxer and the Judo man loses his composure and his abilities break down.

Only through full contact "fight simulation" (sparring and other methods) can you really learn to handle a real fight.

Aikido didn't teach taht, neither did either of the forms of karate I did. The wing chun is slightly improved but it appears muay thai is one of the more robust conditioning styles.

The TKD guy is a red belt in that fight vs. the Muay Thai fighter. How experienced was the Muay Thai fighter? Was the competition in Finland open rank? If so, the TKD red belt probably didn't have much experience or years in training to stand a chance against the Muay Thai fighter. If it was an experienced and well-trained black belt, probably would have been a better fight.

I've seen this video a few times already, and people talk about the TKD guy like he's supposed to be some high ranked black belt who got his ass kicked. Take a look again, the TKD guy is wearing a red belt. No doubt, he got his ass handed to him, but it seems it's propaganda to prove a point TKD sucks by showing an inexperienced TKD fighter in this event. Put someone in there who has more experience, the results may be different.

Agreed..my statement was not to say MT is better than TKD..I find any argument like that to be pointless. Just the same...how long does it take a person to get a red belt? A few years? A few years ni muay thai and a person is usually a very tough fighter, well conditioned and able to take a hit without much concern. The TKD fighter, for whatever reason, was not very agreeive and backed up a lot..and was essentially too full of doubt to have put together anything effective, whereas the thai fighter..having sparred countless times no doubt, was not afriad to walk in and risk being hit.

The TKD man was also tough..he took some good hits and got up again, but ultimately I think it was his mental preparedness that was lacking.

canuck34, if you are going to argue with me, at least get your facts straight :)

ALL kicks above the waist are 2 points, therefore a knee strike or a round kick above the waist is also 2 points, how does that scoring system favor San Shou then??

"more devastating technique" is often in the eye of the beholder, the guy who got KTFO by the side kick doesn't think it's a weak kick my friend

also, why in the world would you stand and trade with boxers when you can kick them in the legs? It's smart and that is what they did, and even after the boxers whined and they agreed not to kick the legs anymore, they won...

First, of course, I could ask you why you think a low kick should be worth as much as a high kick (but of course, you could argue about that)Second, I'd like to inform you taht the leg kick is NOT Muay Thai's favorite technique, and I'm sure some of our MT crowd will 2nd that. You really should learn more about how Muay Thai is scored, Khun Kao has posted a lot on it. A knee is worth A LOT more than a leg kick in Thai....

uh, no, sorry to say you are wrong

In Thailand, the leg kick is most certainly not used as often and scored equally as body kicks. Thais use them on Westerners they think can't block them, leg kicks are not common among skilled fighters. That is esactly my point, you are mis-stating things

- "But to land a knee in a fight where throws are allowed is far more difficult than landing a sidekick on a fighter who rarely if ever trains with them." -

Do you realize what you just wrote. Score leg kicks more because the knee is gonna be hard and score side kick less because the poor Muay Thai guy isn't used to blocking them? IS that really what you mean?? The knee, like high kicks, is scored higher exactly because it is more difficult to land in a fight with throws, that is the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

This video is a WTF style TKD fighter. THose guy's do not use their hands and further more he is not a good fighter, He cannot judge a distance and does not know what to do when he gets closed in. Most of the guy's fight in very closed environment and then realize that what the know is not applicable all the time. Just for the record everyone thinks Muay Thai is the final answer to fighting. Why I do not know?

I'm good at getting someone going too...must be a Canadian thing. Where are you from Canuck34?

As for the ongoing debate over San Shou vs. Muay Thai...well Muah Thai has 8 alphabetical letters in it..San Shou has 7, therefore San Shou is inferior. UNLESS, the objective is to have as few alphabetical letters as possible, then San Shou is the best. ]

Point being, why argue one over the other? It's the fighter than makes the technique, not the other way around.

I guess having a pulse is getting going up north, I was just pointing out that you were wrong, which you still are...

Have a nice day

LMFAO, you just show that on the internet, people don't let up even when they are 100% wrong

Look in the saved threads for some of the threads on scoring a Muay Thai fight. Also, you are just plain clueless about what we are talking about

A leg kick is effective if it lands, but it also can get your shins F-ed up, and my friend anyone knowledgable knows that the real MT fights are NOT leg kick fests, whatever your $0.05 video collection shows :)

And keep throwing them because we San Shou people love to take you down off of them...

HAVE A REALLY NICE DAY