muay thai vs.taekwondo,karate,kung

Seen this type of quesiton a bunch of times. I guess whichever practitioner trains the hardest with a continuous full body attack would fair the best. (Like others have already stated.) Any system where head / hand techniques are omitted may be considered suspect in a true all out striking contest. Given that, some form of 'boxing' style seems most effective.

I've sparred against 1 olympic level tkd guy and a couple kyokushin type guys. All were good and could land hard shots, but punches to the face, knees and lower kicks with a 'square' stance made a big difference in the outcome under kb type rules (we would alternate rules for fun, and this was only sparring within an association, i.e. not against an unknown competitor, etc.).

I am a novice kber that doesn't even train kb anymore. I just do a little for self-defense and mma type training. So this is not a post to boast by any means. Just an observation based on a very limited sample set. Your results may vary.

I like the end part.."Your results may vary". Sounds like you just prescribed some medicine my friend :)

Hey Canuck34..do you train on Lisgar St. in Ottawa? I'm in Ottawa as well..and you said (sarcastically) that you don't own a school...which of course leads me to believe that you do..so I'm wondering which one it is. I only know of the one on Lisgar that's pure thai boxing..all the other schools to my knowledge are eitehr MMA or non-thai.

I hear that he is yeah..I almost went to train there a couple years ago but at the time I didn't know much about Thai boxing other than it was like boxing..which at the time I thought was a weak fighting method because I had always been taught by my karate-related people that Karate has a better arsenal.

Well, I've pulled the wool off my eyes about that...so now I might go check it out again.

It's more about how you trianthan inything else IMO, a buddy ofmine had a coop in pittsburg CA, he wanted to keep up his thai so he went to fairtex and about 4 other plaes checking them out, he ended up going to USA Tae kwon Do because it was the best gym he thought. He had a good reason to, I can't remember his name, but one of the head trainers (they called him George) is a Muay Thai fighter, I'm horrible with names, but he's KO'ed Danny Steele and Melchor Menor.

Anyways, there were guys there that were all TKD, but were hanging with George and were his sparring partners for his fights, granted, they probably had some boxing thrown in for hands, but they threw kicks like TKD, with chambering and a lot of high kicks.

But, on average, your average Thai gym would win almost every fight between them and even the exceptional TMA school.

Hey just curiuos..what's TMA mean? I'm new to this forum and haven't seen someone define that term yet. I always thought it meant Total Martial Arts but I'm not sure what it is. Thai Muah des Artists? (French). Beats me.

I downloaded a couple of videos on Kazaa. Muay Thai guys kicking the snot out of tae kwon do guy really bad.

I hear White Crane Kung Fu is the shiznit.

Thanks Expert.

I have trained in both MT and TKD. Everthing being equal MT is a better art if you want to learn standup relatively fast. Part if this reason I believe is that MT concentrates on the basics. Few kicks, punches, clinch, knees.

Frost, TMA = Traditional Martial Arts usually used in reference to karate, kung fu, TKD, etc.

I agree with Jake Hellrazor..A MY guy with 6 months will beet a TMA with 6 months. But, a TMA with 2+ plus years will take out a MT guy with a year or so. Everything being equal..

Point... You will learn more in MT than TMA in the same amout ot time. But, watch out if things are not equal ( training time, experience, etc). MT guys,,, don't get to big of a head..

Frost,

You should take the time to check them out on Lisgar. The entire staff is very friendly, and the vibe is good.

You guys are making the same mistake as the early MMA fighters, did your worrying about the art and not the techniques, I have drawn something usefull out of every art I've ever trained in (Karate, Boxing, Kickboxing and Thaiboxing), and hence I simply consider myself a crosstrained striker.

BTW, Top level MT fighters (esp Thais) use leg kicks like jabs, and though some people (including myself) like to land as close to the knee as possible, many throw to land on the thigh, as this diminishes risk of injury.

It's always seemed to me a truism in fighting is that
"the guy who is better able to execute his game plan
wins." Simple as that. This means the fighter who
is better conditioned and thus not falling apart due
to fatigue has the advantage. This means that the
guy who's trained with plenty of full contact so he
doesn't fall apart the first time he's blasted has
an advantage.

The techniques aren't really the issue. Guys get
caught by "useless" techniques all the time. It's the
way they train. You get two full contact fighters, who
know their respective styles, spar plenty, and are
both game and the fight will be a toss up. Physical
differences like height, reach, and weight will play
a far bigger role than whether one guy chambers his
kick first, or whether they punch with a vertical or
horizontal fist.

"The San Shou vs American Boxing event the rules were completely in the favor of the San Shou guys and they still didn't win that impressively. When they did win, it was with leg kicks."

There was another event that took place in China. I believe the Chinese won 5 matches to 2, with 4 KO's (2 from head kicks, 2 from leg kicks)