Muhammad Ali vs A Wrestler: The Forgotten Match.

The birth of MMA?

Muhammad Ali fight against Antonio Inoki is the forgotten bout of career

http://dailym.ai/22IHRpw Phone Post 3.0

My bad, this is the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3627315/Muhammad-Ali-s-fight-against-wrestler-Antonio-Inoki-forgotten-bout-career.html Phone Post 3.0

Forgotten?

The rules for that fight were so jacked up.

This was a low point both men's careers, and no one has forgotten about it. Phone Post 3.0

Nobody remembers it but the Daily Mail UK. Phone Post 3.0

i loved it when Muhammed and a few of his trainers went to inokis school to watch them train..at the time the bout was still supposed to be full mma rules but after seeing Inoki grapple, Alis trainers immediately changed their mind and changed the rules as they realized they had no chance in hell..lol..it must have been a huge ego shot to Ali especially since he thought he was truly the baddest man on the planet..

ons ear - i loved it when Muhammed and a few of his trainers went to inokis school to watch them train..at the time the bout was still supposed to be full mma rules but after seeing Inoki grapple, Alis trainers immediately changed their mind and changed the rules as they realized they had no chance in hell..lol..it must have been a huge ego shot to Ali especially since he thought he was truly the baddest man on the planet..
Source ? Phone Post 3.0

I listened to this fight live on RADIO back in the day.

True story. Phone Post 3.0

CDarwin - I listened to this fight live on RADIO back in the day.

Was it terrible? Phone Post 3.0

I remember watching this as a young lad.

It was rubbish TBH.

What were the rules? Was there some reason he did not just shoot? Seems like a giant missed opportunity to invent MMA theeish decades earlier.

Al Cappucino -

Forgotten?

Marcus Agrippa - What were the rules? Was there some reason he did not just shoot? Seems like a giant missed opportunity to invent MMA theeish decades earlier.

"Ali and Inoki's representatives spent three days trying to thrash out the rules of the contest, only to modify them to such an extent that both men, but particularly Inoki, were hamstrung. Inoki was prohibited from throwing, grappling, tackling or kicking above the knee. And any kicks would have to be executed with one knee on the canvas. "

LeBell Vs Savage was in 1963 IIRC, this looked nothing like it.

(No I'm not old enough to have watched that!)

With the benefit of hindsight it is really quite astonishing that boxers managed to convince everyone including themselves that they were the baddest men on the planet for such a long time.

DubsAli -
Al Cappucino -

Forgotten?

It means 'not remembered' or 'no memory of it'... Phone Post 3.0

Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Decades later when I finally watched it, I figured radio was better... Phone Post 3.0

FOX Force Five - 
Marcus Agrippa - What were the rules? Was there some reason he did not just shoot? Seems like a giant missed opportunity to invent MMA theeish decades earlier.

"Ali and Inoki's representatives spent three days trying to thrash out the rules of the contest, only to modify them to such an extent that both men, but particularly Inoki, were hamstrung. Inoki was prohibited from throwing, grappling, tackling or kicking above the knee. And any kicks would have to be executed with one knee on the canvas. "

Hmm he should have just said fuck the rules and shot on him anyway. The point would have been made. Leave the ref and judges to cry about it.

Ah well I suppose it is all a bit late now.

CDarwin -
Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Decades later when I finally watched it, I figured radio was better... Phone Post 3.0
Lol :D Phone Post 3.0