Murilo Bustamante' first fight 1991

I'd like to see more Bustamente vids around here and less total garbage.

Was Bustamove a blackbelt back then? when did this occur vs his legendary matches in BJJ against Gurgel etc.?

I remember watching reality superfighting back in the day where Busta fought Erickson in the finals.
The fight turned out boring as hell after 15 mins, but I remember even back then being amazed that the guy who had 100 pounds on Busta and was an amazing wrestler decided to avoid a ground fight. I truly think if busta's boxing was where it got to, he could've stood and FORCED erickson back to the mat. It was a good fight up till they stood/buttscooted.

ttt

Wasa-B - ...Busta went on to eventually take down guys like Lindland, Hendo and Rampage.

Darell Gholar was employed as a wrestling coach for BTT back in the day.

Busta was without a doubt one of the most complete fighters of his time.

Wasa-B -
gatotwopointoh - pretty good standup (boxing) as well, at least good enough to bang with Rampage, Hendo and Lidell. There are really very few guys that can make that kind of claim today even.

Many thought he beat Liddel. Same with Rampage. Same with Hendo in the Bushido final.

Either way, all 3 of those fights were close enough to debate.

Also, Hendo is just a banger. He got Busta later in the fight, which is what Hendo does and props for that bt Busta is a much more sound striker than Dan.

Aside from BJ, his either most complete counterpart from that era, yes, to this day, there are few fighters that were as good as he was in all 3 ranges of the game.

All these posts are thoroughly spot-on.

(And btw, if Busta gets those decisions, as he arguably could have - or even just one - over Chuck, Hendo, or Rampage, his record now looks a lot better today in fightfinder-hindsight. Busta was like the anti-Hendo.)

This is a refreshing thread.

gatotwopointoh - 
Wasa-B - Didnt watch the clip but Busta went on to eventually take down guys like Lindland, Hendo and Rampage.

Busta was without a doubt one of the most complete fighters of his time.

Busta has to be one of the most complete fighters of all time. Great jiu-jitsu, great wrestling and pretty good standup (boxing) as well, at least good enough to bang with Rampage, Hendo and Lidell. There are really very few guys that can make that kind of claim today even.

And he is old enough to come from the generation that was real fighters.... not like this new generation of wanna be sports figures that do just enough to get paid

Wasa-B - Didnt watch the clip but Busta went on to eventually take down guys like Lindland, Hendo and Rampage.

That was a long time after this fight video here.

Someone used the word "refreshing"......

Man, that is the EXACT word I was wooking for. Jeeeez how refreshing it is to see true, old school, Vale Tudo from the country that started it all. And with a true legend like Murillo Bustamante. What an awesome fighter inside the cage and what a fantastic human being outside cage.

Much, much thanks for the video and guys....please.....lets stick together and never forget these old school Vale Tudo legends. These guys were REAL. They didn't give a muther f_ck about rules, how much money they'd be paid or "studying" their opponents for three months, or weight advatages.....nor anything else.

Just look at what Bustamante did to Rampage, Henderson, and to the Brock Lesner of that time.....Tom Erikson, whom outweighted him by 100 pounds.

And he beat Matt Lindland TWICE in the same damn fight. Hell, big John McCarthy couldn't even save Lindland from Busta!

ttt

I remember hearing that Busta boxed while growing up but his boxing looked really bad in that video.
I seem to rmember his boxing much better later in his career along with his wrestling.

Best middleweight during his time

I always enjoyed watching Busta fight!

skooter - 
Much, much thanks for the video and guys....please.....lets stick together and never forget these old school Vale Tudo legends. These guys were REAL. They didn't give a muther f_ck about rules, how much money they'd be paid or "studying" their opponents for three months, or weight advatages.....nor anything else.

Studying your opponent is not unmanly.

Some call it smart.

Wasa-B - 
skooter - 

Studying your opponent is not unmanly.

Some call it smart.

I call this 'Get-off-my-lawn' syndrome. Things were always better in their day.

Whatever. I can't even WATCH old Vale Tudo. It's such a horrible grindfest.

Prime Busta vs. Prime Frank: Who takes this?

http://profiles.friendster.com/agohoy